Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • MOT question – indicators. any mot testers?
  • martinxyz
    Free Member

Ive just been failed on my indicators inside the front lamps.when functioning they work well as they are on the outside and really are obvious (compared to some of the new cars out there with the indicators on the inside of the headlamps – what a joke!)

They have failed because when i had H.I.Ds fitted they asked if i would like to put in new indicator bulbs at the same time.the ones fitted were the ones that are silver to look at when turned off.

Its looking like a bumper off job to get in about them. Do they really have to be orange to look at? in the daytime you cant even see through the headlamp to tell if its orange or silver without a torch as it is.

what a carry on.

Gary_C

Probably a thicko mot tester,who failed them for coming on,going out,coming on,going out,com……….
    "Oh,they must be faulty…"

😉

rich-6
    Free Member

As long as it flashes orange and is visible its fine.

Sometimes on the standard orange bulbs the colour flakes off and they look white thats a fail, Maybe the guys confused?

I hate retro fitted HIDs theres so many people round here and they blind you because the beam patterns allover, Yours arent like it i take it otherwise you'd have known on the test sheet 😆

My car has the Philipps silvertec ones fitted, Never had a problem, I work at the dealership too 😀

martinxyz
    Free Member

I cant drive with them at the highest level setting. i get flashed!

i just looked out the bulbs that were removed and the coating was crackling off them a bit. i will take them down with me tomorrow for the retest and hopefully wont have to change them. If i do, then i might just go elsewhere.

john_drummer
    Free Member

why do you need HIDs retrofitted on a car that the manufacturer didn't think needed them? Halogens are bright enough as is, and 90% of the time they're so badly set up they're just as blinding as HIDs anyway.

Real bugbear of mine. Why do cars need HIDs? They're too **** bright

Gary_C

why do you need HIDs retrofitted on a car? Halogens are bright enough as is,

I beg to differ.Bought a Focus C-Max 2 years ago,& the standard headlamps were nigh on useless,they were properly adjusted using a beam setter at my fiendly local garage,& the light output seemed to be akin to two candles!Bloody useless.

Bought & fitted a HID kit,beams set up as before,& the difference was amazing.Not had an issue with them come MOT time either.

To make a bike related comparison,it was like going from a 10watt halogen to a Hope 4-LED.

martinxyz
    Free Member

At night our eyes cant take in much light,john. what this means is that although most of us think we can see better at night (going by the cats eyes and lines) we cant take in enough light to get the same depth of field as we can in the daylight.the amount of light going into the eye in the daytime helps us focus a lot further away a lot easier.all similar to how a camera works.

the extra distance you can see all things reflective up ahead on the open road with HIDs is really worth it.the best thing about them is that you can see the eyes of animals further away/sooner than normal lighting. for the money,they are a really good upgrade.

owenfackrell
    Free Member

Strictly speaking retor HIDs are illegal as to get round uk law HIDs have to conform with European law which is that they have to have headlight washers and self level all to avoid blinding people. 😉
    The ones i hate are those stupid blue effect bulbs that are ment to fool you into think that they have hids with projector style lights.
    My car has HIDs and i like the colour of the light compared with the yellow of halogens which becomes really obvious when you drive with them for a while.

It's common for the orange coating on indicator bulbs to crack and fade after a couple of years.
    I prepare trucks and buses for MOT, where the testers are a lot stricter than they are for cars, and it's part of our pre MOT check. If the bulbs are not orange any more, we replace them.

john_drummer
    Free Member

the extra distance you can see all things reflective up ahead on the open road with HIDs is really worth it.the best thing about them is that you can see the eyes of animals further away/sooner than normal lighting. for the money,they are a really good upgrade.

ok, I'll begrudgingly admit they may be a good thing. I still don't like being followed by someone who has them though. Especially when it's wet as well as dark

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘MOT question – indicators. any mot testers?’ is closed to new replies.