Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)
  • MOT incompetence
  • wysiwyg
    Free Member

Took my passat for MOT earlier this week. Failed on rear pads “down to metal” poo. So been out bought pads and a windback tool. Takes both sides out 6/7mm a side. We are umamused. Waste of cash and a waste of time I’ve got to drive to the retest.

Suggsey
    Free Member

Notify DofT! Nothing worse for the industry than rip off garages!

continuity
    Free Member

What are you talking about?

You took your car with no brake pads to an MOT, it failed, and you are upset that you have to replace your brake pads?

Are you sure you should be allowed to drive a car?

geoffj

continuity – Member

You took your car with no brake pads to an MOT, it failed, and you are upset that you have to replace your brake pads?

POSTED 2 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

You want to turn the stick over.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Mores the point – What are you talking about?

To the OP – take the old pads in with you and complain like ****.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

I agree. What are you talking about?

To the OP, stop confusing continuity with your words. You know it gives him the vapours.

wwaswas

Did continuity read the whole post?

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

I’m sure he read a post. Just not the OP’s in this thread, perhaps.

allthepies
    Free Member

As I understand.

The OP had his car MOT’d.
    It failed due to pads being shot (apparently)
    OP buys new pads with the aim of replacing himself.
    OP removed said “shot” pads to find they have 6-7mm of material remaining.
    OP is less than impressed with the MOT bods.

bearnecessities

I’m with continuity on this one. There’s no place for custard on a plate of cold chicken.

Marko

I don’t think they should have failed the car here – I assume it passed the roller road brake test?

Was the garage part of a chain?

Normal VOSA advice is to ‘pass and advise’.

I’d appeal the fail.

Hth
    Marko

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Das is correct. So I’ve shelled out for a decent tool and pads for zip. I’ve put them in anyway so I can show him and say where the nearest specsavers is. Just annoying I’ve got to go back take time off work etc for FA

It’s an mot only place. No work undertaken purely testing. So no reasons for him to fail apart from cocking up.

boblo
    Free Member

Save them for next time. You’ll need new pads at some stage.

hora
    Free Member

Report. Its not kwikfit?

Why would a tester risk his test/job?

Disgusting if true as others must be blatantly ripped off. Which hes knowingly (stealing) from people who have to trust him.

If it wasnt bear metal but a few mms subjective thrn I’d let it slide.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

They’re already in so I can show him the virtually unworn ones. Otherwise they could question if done any work and that they weren’t worn

wysiwyg
    Free Member

On the fail it says under 1.5mm. He said to me down to the metal on inner side of both rears.

It’s a local chain. Nothing to gain from failing it. Pos a genuine mistake but annoying I’ve spent £60 and need another hr off work.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

I reckon he’s either made a mistake, or thought you were a whopper and thought he could rip you off.

CountZero

continuity – Member

hora
    Free Member

If you report they’d need evidence themselves not on the word of one person – true?

So they’d probably inspect/cold call in to check work.

So you shouldnt worry about someone losing their testers licence on a one off.

If hes upto something then he should be investigated. Hes cost you £60 extra for a start.

MartynS

Was continuity the MOT tester???

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I only ever have my cars MOT tested by my local Council. They cannot do any work on a failed car, so there is no incentive to fail them on something trivial to earn some cash. They are always scrupulous in their testing. See if you have a council fleet depot that does testing near you.

thegreatape
    Free Member

I was not familiar with this member continuity before this thread, but I await his future contributions with great anticipation.

hammyuk
    Free Member

The “issue” is that if they cant see the pads they will fail it.
    A lot of cars now you cant see the pads without removing the wheel – they aren’t allowed to anymore.
    Same as they any remove any covers underneath, etc.
    Had a car of mine fail a few years ago and had a full on row over it – I’d had the rear wheels off an hour before to check it all over so I knew there was 5+mm on them.

hora
    Free Member

Continuity got Anything for sale?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Not true !

wwaswas

So if they can’t see the pads how can they either know that they are down to the metal or that you’ve replaced them?

How can they ever pass a car they can’t see the pads on?

wanmankylung
    Free Member

What about shoes inside drums?

hammyuk
    Free Member

trail_rat – Member

Not true !

100% True – They are “supposed” to pass and advise – all of the testers I know will fail rather than risk it in case.

wanmankylung – Member
    What about shoes inside drums?

Drums have indicators on the rear along with the brake test results.

bearnecessities

I was not familiar with this member continuity before this thread

I miss a lot of names, but the gentlemen in question has already alerted my spidy senses to being a troublesome sort.

If only we had someone to sniff such people out within seconds.

JAMIE?

history

wwaswas

Hammyuk – so if inability to see pads is an automatic fail how do cars like this ever pass?

hammyuk
    Free Member

As I said its “supposed” to be a “pass with advisory”
    In reality the tester won’t pass it just in case.
    Remember very few are not in a garage – so repairs are done.
    However the ones I know will fail it in case it’s a DoT car.
    That’s their license gone.

spooky_b329

Have you checked the front pads?! Might have got the wrong end 🙂

wwaswas

I don’t believe you, sorry, otherwise every car would be having new pads every year.

Northwind

spooky_b329 – Member

Have you checked the front pads?! Might have got the wrong end

That seems like the most sensible comment in the thread.

mcmoonter – Member

I only ever have my cars MOT tested by my local Council. They cannot do any work on a failed car, so there is no incentive to fail them on something trivial to earn some cash. They are always scrupulous in their testing. See if you have a council fleet depot that does testing near you.

Same reason I used to take my motorbike to a place that doesn’t do bikes. It could be annoying if there was a minor quick fix issue though

Now I have a trustworthy garage. It is awesome.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Where is this in the guidance notes ? I dont see anything saying if you cant see it fail it….brakes or otherwise.

Ive never had a car rejected for this , including ones where you cant see the inner pad , or where the drums do not have indicators….

thegreatape
    Free Member

I miss a lot of names, but the gentlemen in question has already alerted my spidy senses to being a troublesome sort.

🙂 I hope he starts posting in the chat forum more, there is sport to be had I think.

continuity
    Free Member

Laugh all you want, but I wouldn’t have mistaken you if you hadn’t written it in johnny age five prose.

Took my passat for MOT earlier this week. Failed on rear pads “down to metal” poo. So been out bought pads and a windback tool. Takes both sides out 6/7mm a side. We are umamused. Waste of cash and a waste of time I’ve got to drive to the retest.

I took my passat to have an MOT earlier this week. It failed as the rear pads were “down to the metal”, which is annoying. I bought a pair of pads and a windback tool. I then removed the old pads and discovered that they have 6-7mm of remaining wear on both sides.

That’s much clearer. Almost as if we’re speaking english.

The ambiguity in your original post makes it sound like the “windback tool” “takes the pads out 6-7mm a side”. I don’t know why. Probably because the exact wording is “bought pads and a windback tool. Takes both sides out 6/7mm a side”.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

I blame all poor grammar on my iphone. Obviously should be ‘Taken’.

Free Member

All most imposible to fail pads unless you can see they are metal to metal and even then you could be asked how you measured them as we testers have no approved tool to check them with. Advise pads all day long and inner ones you can hardly ever tell how low they are so advise them. We are always told pass and advise if you are not sure but there is a lot going on about what can and cannot be advised in the future. Comp 2 very soon if it works “??????? and stuff may change in that. Read the tester manual then read the VOSA mot blog and see how the manual may say some thing and the blog tells you some thing else manual not been changed as it cost £1000s to change one word.Screens and batterys are good ones.

hora
    Free Member

Continuity will you take an offer?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘MOT incompetence’ is closed to new replies.