Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • MOT: "Front Pads are 70%" worn
  • richmtb

So I dropped the car in for its MOT this morning to my local Arnold Shark who I only use for MOT’s beause they are across the road from my work.

I was pretty sure I would need two new tyres but they are just advisory and they only have Hankooks and Falkens in stock anyway.

Then they chip in with an advisory on the front pads as they are “70% worn”

Are they?

“Yes but we can replace them for £110 plus VAT”

At which point I suggested that as the pads have lasted 4 years and 43k miles and are only 70% worn they should be good for another year at least!

That shut them up.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

2 years ago my MOT had an advisory note saying the brakes were working at 70%
    1 Year ago there was no advisory.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

They seem to advise on tyres at 4-5mm now as well! They only come with 8mm of tread to start with.

Onzadog
    Free Member

we had an avisory for our exhaust which then went on to pass another 3 MOTs.

ziggy
    Free Member

I would say that front pads should be cheaper than that to replace. I just had front pads and discs, rear pads done on a Mondeo for £170 inc. labour. Go elsewhere, it’s only an advisory, not a fail.

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

I dont get this at all.

A garage advises you that your brake pads are 70% worn and even gives you a cost for replacing them. What exactly have they done wrong?

As a garage and testing station they have a responsibility to advise you of things they find wrong or requiring replacement in the near’ish future. Considering they are 70% worn is isnt beyond the realms of reason to asume they wear out in the next 12mths before the next MOT is due. As you have pointed out you arent a paticularly high mileage user but the same applies.

Imagine your post in 9mths time if you found they were 99% worn and squeeling and you posted up that your MOT test centre hadnt pointed out that they ‘may’ have needed replacing.

Why is it that some people begrudge people a living these days. For every person like you there is someone that replies with thank you i will let you know when i want it done.

richmtb

Class!

Whats annoying is I know the front pads are fine as I checked all the brakes a couple of weeks ago, the rears were shot so I replaced them myself, the fronts must have 10mm of pad material left

pjt201
    Free Member

I had that recently. Advised that they are 80% worn and did I want them replacing. I pointed out they advised they were 75% worn last year so I’d come back in 4 years time.

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Whats annoying is I know the front pads are fine as I checked all the brakes a couple of weeks ago, the rears were shot so I replaced them myself, the fronts must have 10mm of pad material left

Why is it annoying? They advised you that in their opinion they were 70% worn and you were happy/knowledgable enough to not have the work done. I suppose the annoyance was when they got you in a head lock and wouldnt let you take the car away without paying for this extortionate job. They did do that, didnt they?

D0NK

I had an advisory on brakes last year and nowt this year.

Actually I did have a fail for headlights and tyre. The realigned the headlights but they don’t seem right now (hadn’t noticed a problem before) the left illumintes farther ahead than right.
    Whats the official ruling on tyres, they replaced a rear that had a puncture on the shoulder but I hadn’t noticed it losing air, but the front that does have a slow puncture they left alone.

Cougar

Why is it annoying? They advised you that in their opinion they were 70% worn and you were happy/knowledgable enough to not have the work done.

Because if the OP -wasn’t- that knowledgeable, he’d have gone “oh, better do them then” and spent £130 unnecessarily perhaps?

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I went to the dentist and they told me I might need a filling next time

I dont get this at all.

+1

Hohum
    Free Member

The Southern Yeti – Member

I take it you went to the same test centre and it was the same test manager?

From my experience with things like bushes some of the MOT test rules are not exactly straight-forward yes/no answers.

tragically1969
    Free Member

Advisory = We need to relieve your wallet of some more cash as we dont make much profit on an MOT

Cougar

Ie, better to go “they’re 70% worn, they’re likely to need changing in the next twelve months” rather than try to make a quick sale.

molgrips
    Free Member

I had a bloke give me an advisory on brake pads on the Prius. I waited a good 9 months before getting aroudn to checking them – they were 50% worn.

Hohum
    Free Member

molgrips – Member
    I had a bloke give me an advisory on brake pads on the Prius. I waited a good 9 months before getting aroudn to checking them – they were 50% worn.

Ha, ha! Bonk!

Sorry, that was me laughing my head off 🙂

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Cougar. So they are at fault for giving information? A lot of the general public would rather know this and change them early than wear them to 95% of their wear. Have you never replaced gear cables/brake pads on your bike a little earlier than neccessary?

davidrussell
    Free Member

i guess 70% worn pads will last for years on a car doing 5k miles a year, but significantly less on 60k miles /year. I guess they have to cater for everything.

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Whats the difference between this

Then they chip in with an advisory on the front pads as they are “70% worn”

Are they?

“Yes but we can replace them for £110 plus VAT”

And this

they’re 70% worn, they’re likely to need changing in the next twelve months

I dont see any more pressure in the 1st example.

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

I have never had a mechanic come out of a garage with a stated depth for pads or discs. They are usually a guestimate percentage. One mans gues may be different to another.

I take it you guys ask for an actual measurement rather than relying on some guys visual guess/% which it doesnt take a genius to work out is open to mistakes.

Oh and without checking in my workshops, i trust all brakepads are the same depth to begin with so the mechanic can calculate actual wear and then have the info at hand to calculate expected wear rates (You filled in a 10page questionaire). Or maybe they just say what they think and you make your choice.

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Davidrussell. I have seen workshops force customers to sign dissclaimers before releasing their motors because they know the customer will be running the vehicle with pads which will deffo run out early (Before the next test).

Claim culture has made it too easy to blame the garage.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I take it you went to the same test centre and it was the same test manager?

The bit of info I omitted was that the car had been sat on the drive doing nothing for 6 months prior to the 1st test, it was being driven regualrly before teh 2nd test.

The percentage I was given was a measure of braking efficiency/ wear as far as I can remember. Rusty discs and pitted pads aren’t very efficinet it seems.

Cougar

So they are at fault for giving information?

I don’t recall anyone saying they were “at fault” at all, that’s just an assumption that’s been made here. But, yes, I’d say they’re giving potentially misleading information.

They’re correct to advise, and correct to offer to do the work, but an honest garage would have also advised that they didn’t actually need doing for a while. Without that snippet of information, someone who is less mechanically minded wouldn’t be able to make an informed decision as to whether “70% worn” meant that they’d be fine for several years yet or whether they were about to have sudden catastrophic brake failure.

DezB
    Free Member

TheLittlestHobo – some garages do rip people off you know. Honestly, they do.

uplink
    Free Member

Didn’t Kwik-fit get caught up in a scam where loads of their staff were sacked after they were caught earning extra bonus by selling unnecessary ‘safety critical’ parts on the back of advisories or fails?

Cougar

I dont see any more pressure in the 1st example.

“They’re worn, we can replace them” implies that they need doing immediately. “Pressure” is perhaps the wrong word, but it’s almost certainly misleading in order to make a sale.

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

but an honest garage would have also advised that they didn’t actually need doing for a while By saying 70% the customer is in a position to make an educated guess.

I could see your argument if we were talking (Asper my suggestion before) mm’s as that wouldnt mean much to the customer. But if someone tells me something is 70% worn, it means it has at least quarter of its working life left.

Of course garages try it on. same in most occupations. So do lbs’s. This doesnt sound like trying it on though. It sounds like someone with mechanical knowledge showing how big and grown up he is

Cougar

By saying 70% the customer is in a position to make an educated guess.

That’s assuming some form of mechanical competence on the part of the customer. To someone non-technical, would a garage saying “your brakes are 70% worn out” make them think there was an immediate problem that needed addressing? I’d say so.

clubber
    Free Member

Had one of my cars serviced last week. The garage told me that the pads will need replacing in around 3000 miles. Seemed fair (and is in line with what I expected) and I’ll be taking it to them to do the work.

molgrips
    Free Member

Rusty discs is a fail tho iirc. Proper rust mind, not the sheen you get from 2 days of non-use.

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Oh Cougar you really are trying to make simple sentances work for you arent you.

Ok using your simple examples i could argue that by saying the brake pads may need changing within 12mths (Your HONEST garages example) they are pressurising the customer more than by saying 70%. Your example is a definate time frame whereas the customer can calculate that if the car has done 4yrs and 43,000mls on them he is going to easily get MORE than the 12mths out of them.

Or maybe the above is a load of rubbish and playing with words

Three_Fish
    Free Member

I get my car MOT’d at the local Council’s works’ garage. They’re very thorough, but they don’t do repairs and aren’t allowed to recommend garages to do repairs, so there’s less of an incentive to come up with advisories.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Whats the official ruling on tyres, they replaced a rear that had a puncture on the shoulder but I hadn’t noticed it losing air, but the front that does have a slow puncture they left alone.

They won’t know you have a slow puncture on the front, they don’t put the air in every few days. They will have seen the big nail stuck in the rear tyre, and IIRC shoulder punctures can’t be repaired.

We use a local independent for servicing & MOT although they farm out the MOT’s themselves elsewhere they take the vehicle after they’ve done the service/pre MOT checkover. Not had a vehicle fail yet doing it that way.

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Just to give you guys an idea of ‘honesty’ i have the following little story.

Mechanic at a main dealer of 25yrs service. He is the highest standard of mechanic and qualified for everything. The 18yr old recptionist flutters her eyelashes about needing to tax her sisters car and needing an mot cert and he astonishingly writes one out. This came to light 24hrs later when the bill for the MOT goes through accounts and the service manager 100% cant remember seeing the car. Mechanic gets sacked. Receptionist keeps her job.

Guess where the mechanic ended up working 2 weeks later?

The Police’s own garage!!!

The whole thing was covered up.

Find a garage you trust and have good dialogue with and appreciate them. Dont spend your life trying to catch people out for doing their job.

-m-
    Free Member

You can’t beat the MOT advisory game – watching how things appear and disappear over the years without any action (EDIT: assuming, of course, that they don’t need any action).

The MOT fail game is somewhat less entertaining (as it invariably involves hassle and/or money) – a tyre fitter fitted an asymmetric tyre ‘inside out’ to my Mondeo, but it was only spotted after passing through 2 previous MOTs without problem.

On the flip side, I was charged an eminently sensible price for a replacement brake light bulb at my last MOT with no fuss or hassle – and that was at a test centre doing a discount on the test fee.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

molgrips – Member
    Rusty discs is a fail tho iirc. Proper rust mind, not the sheen you get from 2 days of non-use

Dunno, hadn’t driven it for 6 months and the brakes sounded awful. The garage had guessed this was the case and TBF made no attempt at any sort of hard sell.

Have been into other places to get something like tracking done, only to be told I need at least 2 new tyres….

‘but I had them replaced last month?’

Now slightly agro garage owner [Humph]’only telling you waht I see [humph]
    prick.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Three_Fish – Member
    I get my car MOT’d at the local Council’s works’ garage. They’re very thorough, but they don’t do repairs and aren’t allowed to recommend garages to do repairs, so there’s less of an incentive to come up with advisories.

I do the same. The guys are strict but fair. There is no incentive for them to fail the car on something that is a quick easy fix/earner for them.

Brake pads are dead easy to change DIY.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Telling you your pads are 70% worn is useful info, it means regardless of how long they have been on the vehicle, more than half their life has gone and you sould keep an eye on them….. its also a way of tyring to get a quick sale !

At my Mondeo’s MOT in October 09 they said the rear pads only had 3000 miles left on them, and they could change them for me. The same pads have now done another 20k more this last year. The test centre this year (a different one) said the rear disc are starting to corode which could be an MOT failure next year. To me that was much more valuable info as I will now look at the discs periodically, especially through the winter to make sure they are not corroding too much. Having said that you can normally feel it through the brake pedal or through shudder when applying the brakes/

Marko

VOSA would tell the tester to pass and advise in this case.

COVER YOUR A**E!

So you take it away with a legitimate pass and sell it 6 weeks later to the local boy racer who destroys the brakes in a week. He complains to VOSA that they passed a car with duff brakes. VOSA check and look at the advisory sheet. VOSA are happy and the tester still has a job.

Of course you did sell the car with the advisory sheet didn’t you?

richmtb: Just a general comment and not directed at you btw.

Marko

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘MOT: "Front Pads are 70%" worn’ is closed to new replies.