Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • MOT Failure – Not sure if they are pulling a fast one? Mondeo
  • FunkyDunc
    Free Member

My Mondeo 2.0 TDCI has failed its MOT because “exhaust gasses are leaking from the flexible hose join between the engine and exhaust”

Now I thought they were bolted together, but then I am no expert on Mondeo’s…

Also they are saying the “left rear wheel bearing is running stiff and therefore needs replacing”. Again there has been no noise or anything to suggest this.

The bearing will be a simple test as far as I am concerned, just jack the car up and see if the left wheel runs stiffer than the right, or wobbles?

Any advice gratefully appreciated.

Ta

molgrips
    Free Member

exhaust gasses are leaking from the flexible hose join between the engine and exhaust

There are several hoses there.

1) Exhaust – fixed mostly

2) CV hose aka crankcase ventilation – flexible, rubber, and entirely reasonable thing to have perished and leak, seen it on several cars. When combustion occurs, some of the exhaust gasses sneak past the piston rings into the crank case. This hose just vents the crankcase back into the air intake so the oily grungy crud can be burned.

3) EGR hose – rigid but maybe with a flexible bit in it. Redirects some exhaust back into the intake to reduce combustion temperature and therefore NOx emissions.

Re the wheel bearing – never had one run stuff, but they can be very subtle and hard to detect when they go. Best thing to do is as you say jack up the wheels and spin. If it’s a rear, it’s easy, they should spin totally smoothly. If there’s even a tiny sensation of rumble they’re gone. If it’s stiff, well, you should be able to tell.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Surely they mean its leaking from the flexi, which eventually snap.

patriotpro
    Free Member

Never heard of a bearing running ‘stiff’.

It’s not en expensive thing to replace tho – £100 tops.

Try eurocarparts.co.uk as a guide on part-prices.

Aristotle
    Free Member

FunkyDunc – Member

My Mondeo 2.0 TDCI has failed its MOT because “exhaust gasses are leaking from the flexible hose join between the engine and exhaust”

There is a flexible section

Also, My Mk1 Mondeo had a swivel joint at that location (between manifold and exhaust pipe) that wore out and caused a clunking noise when the power was engaged.

My Mk3 Mondeo started making a similar noise before I sold it.

It is possibly something similar.

totalshell

yes bearings run stiff.. muck in em.. yes the flexys leak.. if you think there having a larf there is a phone number on the failure sheet for the DVLA..

you want a pre 1960 vehicle no MOT’s required..no road tax classic ins (42 quid) cheeep motoring..ob done

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Thanks for all the info.

I going to pick it up later from dare I say it Kwik Fit 😆 they have always been good when I have used them before, but I havent used this branch before.

I will be jacking the car up and spinning the wheels, although Mrs FD has just said that at last years MOT they said wheel bearng was going, and its done 30k miles since!

Thanks for all the advice

patriotpro
    Free Member

although Mrs FD has just said that at last years MOT they said wheel bearng was going, and its done 30k miles since!

I think that wheel bearing needs changing 🙄

It can be nasty when they fail.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

yep, especially when the car is used to commute 200 miles a day on a Motorway at erm 70mph ish

Northwind

If it’s a mk3, there isn’t a join between the engine and the flexi- it goes manifold/turbo, cat, then flexi, then exhaust. So it’s a wee bit vague but not neccesarily crooked, and the flexi’s definately a likely failure point. (the metalwork in the flexi section also seems to rust faster than the rest of the exhaust)

Also, very easy to replace, and not expensive.

Though, excess wear might imply the lower engine mount is worn too, hopefully they’d have noticed that. Have a look under the car and get someone to start it, see how much it all moves around.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I going to pick it up later

As an MOT failure where are you going to take it? Be careful

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

It is a Mk3.

I took the call in a meeting so couldn’t really talk much, will get more info later, probably will have to let them do the work to avoid additional re test cost.

bentudder

If you’re still worried, find your Local Authority’s MOT centre and take it in there for a check. As they can’t sell you servicing or parts, you’ll probably get a straight answer. More here: http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-mot

drookitmunter
    Free Member

Vaguely related.. the EGR valve on my TDCI Mondeo ST kept clogging up with crap and jamming open. Highlight was breaking down on the north west coast of Lewis on my honeymoon – 2 hours from civilisation.

Removed it, popped a blanking plate on there and it’s run like a dream ever since.

Northwind

Yeah, mine throws an engine warning light from time to time due to the blanking plate, so I just blank it and carry on- well worth it though. Actually going to drill a hole in it today to try and stop the light coming on though.

john_drummer
    Free Member

If the OP has had it tested (and failed) before the existing certificate runs out, shouldn’t be a problem. Only a problem when you leave it to the last possible minute to get it tested, and then it fails

legend
    Free Member

If the rear wheel on a mk3 Mondeo (non-estate) isn’t spinning properly then 99 times out of 100 it’ll be the handbrake not releasing properly….again

glupton1976
    Free Member

instead of looking at eurocarparts for prices look at carparts4less – same company, but considerably cheaper. and most CP4L deliveries come in ECP boxes.

Suggsey
    Free Member

Thanks for that last link-saved me a number of GBP on parts for my Japanese car compared with the Europarts site!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘MOT Failure – Not sure if they are pulling a fast one? Mondeo’ is closed to new replies.