Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • mot failed cars
  • bigyim
    Free Member

Anyone have any hints or suggestions on what to do with my car. It’s a 206 which failed on brakes and emissions. I haven’t got the time to sort it myself and the car didn’t cost me anything in the first place. It’s a nice little car so don’t really want to just scrap it. We buy any car won’t have it cause it’s got no mot.

Drac

We buy any car won’t have it cause it’s got no mot

Dodged a buller there as why off you a crap price then reduce it anyway.

Options:

Scrap it.

Sell as is.

Fix it.

hot_fiat

Ebay, gumtree? Advertise it as “Spares or Repair”.

ThePinkster

Would it cost much to fix?

If you like it and it didn’t cost anything initially anyway it might be worth a small expense to get it back on the road.

jimjam
    Free Member

Traditional cure for emissions failure is to arrive at the mot centre when the engine is running good and hot. Obviously won’t work in every scenario. Re brakes, what did it fail on? Corroded lines or just balance?

aracer
    Free Member

ebay, being very honest about it. You’ll probably get a lot more than you think from somebody who will get it running again.

Northwind

Mine had an MOT but spares-and-repair, I stuck it on Ebay with a detailed, totally honest ad and said “Reserve is the scrap value + the value of the diesel in the tank, come and get it within a week”. And it went, for about twice what I expected.

bigyim
    Free Member

Failed because the one back brake is not working. Also on a bush on the front. I imagine it only failed on emissions because it hasn’t been used much this year as I have a works van with free diesel.
    Thought about eBay but then it comes with the usual messers

the-muffin-man

Thought about eBay but then it comes with the usual messers

Any private sale has it’s share of tyre-kickers and chancers – if you want to get rid easily call a local scrapper, agree a price and get them to pick it up.

molgrips
    Free Member

Brakes are very cheap to fix – and an old car with new brakes is better than another old car with another potential MOT failure next year.

Emissions – well depends what car it is. If it’s fuel injected it could be a £50 sensor fix.

I’m in favour of fixing – better the devil you know. Or even the good car you know.

Gary_M
    Free Member

t’s a 206 which failed on brakes and emissions

One rear brake and a bushing won’t cost much to fix, maybe £200 max.

Emissions might be trickier to fix but try some fuel additive or something.

kcal

Our car was an MOT failure (catastrophic springs to mind).

Started on the eBay – spares / repairs front but it’s a niche car – 900S – and way out of the way for the overall market. The local scrappie would have given me – IIRC – £90. A mechanic at the garage pipes up “my brother’s got an older one of those” and bought it off me for the £90 I’d have got from metal yard. I’d say everyone was happy about that…

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Rear brakes are peanuts, see eurocarparts and if its a front wishbone they are cheap as well. Emissions, depends on diesel or petrol. Petrol cat £85 ish, at a guess, lambda £60 ish. Italian tune up before MOT is free.

dooosuk
    Free Member

For the emissions, change the oil and give it a good thrashing before the test.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Sounds like it needs a few hundred quid and an ‘Italian tune up’ – it’s far, far easier to sell a car with a fresh MOT.

Personally I’d pay the garage to sort it and put it up for sale – not that it’s a great time of year to sell a car of course – perhaps wait until Jan to do it.

nickjb
    Free Member

Another eBay vote. Be honest and detailed and it’ll sell for not that much less than one with an MOT.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

I have a W reg Audi 1.9D a6 estate, it sits on the street and gets used every second weekend. 189k on the clock. Every year I expect an mot failure and usually it delivers an mot failure but the cost of repair so far is much less than me finding a similar knackered car and not knowing what’s wrong with it OR a hire car. I did the maths, the mot needs to cost about 6-700 quid for me not to fix it. A brake and emissions is probably worth a fix.

Mot on Saturday! 🙂

MrOvershoot

Fair play Joe I didn’t think you would still have the old barge!
    But I can see it makes sense living London as you don’t need to worry about it 🙂

bigyim
    Free Member

Can scrap dealers pay you cash now? Not sure they are allowed to deal in scrap metal with cash anymore.

Gunz
    Free Member

As a proud owner of a diesel Peugeot 205 with 156k on it that does 250 miles a week I say fix it. My last MOT gave rise to £350 of repairs but that’s peanuts compared to the cost of a new banger and the hassle of finding one which will still be an unknown quantity. Every time I take it back to the garage he rues the day 60,000 miles ago that he sold it to me for £400, viva Bangernomics.

aracer
    Free Member

Maybe, but less so selling a car, because it will be cash on collection. This is why you are scrupulously honest (and take pictures of the worst bits), so when the winning bidder turns up there is nothing they can complain about. They hand over cash, they get car – not really sure what sort of messing around you expect just because it’s ebay – if anything it’s actually less messing around involved because you’ve already agreed the price.

bigyim
    Free Member

Already bought another bangernomics car so a bit reluctant to spend money on the old one. I got a mazda 323 with 12 months mot, no advisory remarks on the mot, half a tank of fuel for 400 quid.

craigxxl
    Free Member

Already bought another bangernomics car so a bit reluctant to spend money on the old one. I got a mazda 323 with 12 months mot, no advisory remarks on the mot, half a tank of fuel for 400 quid.

Not really bangernomics when the cost of repairing the brakes, emissions, full 12 months MOT and full tank of fuel would have been less than £400.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘mot failed cars’ is closed to new replies.