Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • Most useless bike product you can come up with?
  • maximusmountain
    Free Member

Mine would have to be a directional inner tube.

amedias
    Free Member

Are these supposed to be real products or just the worst random nonsense you can imagine?

stumpy01

That curved ruler thing to help set fork sag….can’t remember what it’s called now.

thepurist

[gets in first]
    650B
    [/gets in first]

maximusmountain
    Free Member

I reckon worst nonsense that could make it to market with enough waffle.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Anything made by RaceFace that has splines or bearings.

iolo
    Free Member

damn you thepurist. OK, I’ll go with 29 inch wheels.

Squidlord
    Free Member

Left- handed hex key

fasthaggis

IME

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Solar powered bike lights

ac282
    amedias
    Free Member

Left/Right biased tyres for better cornering depending on whether you’re riding a clockwise/anti-clockwise lap.

Frodo

dropper seatpost

imnotverygood

stilltortoise
    Free Member

dropper seatpost

Are you looking for a fight? 😆

maxtorque

handlebar alignment laser

^^^^ Seems pretty dam pointless to me

Frodo

😈

nuke

handlebar alignment laser

^^^^ Seems pretty dam pointless to me

Yep but if I had one I’d use it 😳

Northwind

Giant’s stem nonstandard.

Going back a bit, the flexstem. Merely a bad idea until the elastomer wore, which happened pretty much instantly, at which point the true genius of putting a hinge between your bike and your bars became obvious.

I really don’t understand the laser stem thing. Leaving aside the basic pointlessness, the only people who have any possible use for it, are people who’re obsessed with bar straightness, right? But doing it by eye, by default you get it as accurate as you’re able to see. So maybe it’s not straight but you can’t tell anyway because you thought it was straight when you fitted it.

natrix
    Free Member

Cat ears to reduce wind noise when cycling 🙄

http://www.cat-ears.com/

kiwijohn

I’m with Frodo on that one. & flat pedals.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

V brakes for a Lefty.

scruff
    Free Member

Front Mech.

Klunk
    Free Member

gear indicators

brooess
    Free Member

The bike itself. No engine FFS, you have to pedal it yourself!

LoCo
    Free Member

149.275mm rear hub.
    19.6657mm dia, front axle
    1.675″ steerer tubes.
    36.789mm dia bars.

Shall i go on? 😉

steezysix
    Free Member

Anything that comes in a Crank Brothers box that isn’t a multi tool.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Loco works for Giant.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

A while ago I saw on here a little gizmo to hold your brake lever on so your bike could stay propped against your car better.

convert

A little wigget with a spike that you press into the trail that reads out the ttt (trail tyre traction) number. You then go back to the car and look through your ‘quiver’ of tyres and find the pair with the ttt numbers printed on the side that when added together are closest to the trail’s ‘perfect resonance’.

Therefore negating the need for any further ‘what tyres for…’ threads, ever.

lemonysam
    Free Member

I want to nominate this:

But last time I posted someone decided it was ace and bought one.

z1ppy

I didn’t come up with it but K-edge did, there “Dirt ACS Chain Device”. Great idea/design, pity it’s falls apart (bends) the 1st time you need it.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

15mm Axles, why? Who turned upto the shimano/Fox design meeting and said “I want 25% less stiffness”?

Anything made by RaceFace that has splines or bearings.

I quite like their cranks.

yunki
    Free Member

summer gloves

Northwind

z1ppy – Member

I didn’t come up with it but K-edge did, there “Dirt ACS Chain Device”. Great idea/design, pity it’s falls apart (bends) the 1st time you need it.

I made my own out of a blackspire stinger backplate and a bolt, it works a charm. The K in K-edge stands for Kraft Cheese Slice

thisisnotaspoon – Member

15mm Axles, why? Who turned upto the shimano/Fox design meeting and said “I want 25% less stiffness”?

Less stiff than that- so the axles usually ended up a fair bit heavier than a 20mm maxle, to compensate. And then most folks bought adaptable wheels so there was no weight saving or bearing advantage in the hubs either.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Less stiff than that- so the axles usually ended up a fair bit heavier than a 20mm maxle, to compensate. And then most folks bought adaptable wheels so there was no weight saving or bearing advantage in the hubs either.

Even if there was a weight saving, Shimano are the last people who are going to achieve it, is there a single 20mm hub on the market that weighs more than their 15mm hubs?

cookeaa

Fat Bikes…

Northwind

thisisnotaspoon – Member

Even if there was a weight saving, Shimano are the last people who are going to achieve it, is there a single 20mm hub on the market that weighs more than their 15mm hubs?

I know some folks reckon the whole 15mm travesty is basically all about Shimano liking cup-and-cone, and 20mm being much more suited to cartridge. Seems ridiculous til you cast around for a better explanation.

Weird now to see Fox bringing 20mm back into the trailbike world with the new repurposed 36. Dicks.

onandon
    Free Member

Fake stick on mud

JoeG
    Free Member

Silicone Tidds!

In the quest to save weight and maximise efficiency of your bike, why not shed unused bottle cage bolts and replace with Silicone Tidds. Tidds weigh 90% less than the unused steel bolts they replace & look super clean. Each lightweight Tidd comes in at 0.25g – so lighten up, grab a pair of Tidds.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘Most useless bike product you can come up with?’ is closed to new replies.