Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • Most technically advanced road frame for…….
  • warton
    Free Member

Interesting… what I read online suggested the “aero” features weren’t particularly well thought out (no wind-tunnel testing, etc) which is why the SLX would be the better bet (lighter and stiffer as you say). Did you ride your mates CF SLX before he wrote it off? Do you think the Aeroad is comfier for long days in the saddle? I’m looking for a bike both for sportives/long days out and strava-runs (so the moon on a stick really) and to be honest I don’t have the bottle to do 50 MPH+ downhill on the road so that capability might be lost on me! I also recall another thread where a Canyon rep allegedly said in an email that the CF [SLX] was right for 90% of their customers?

I bought the aeroad because I wanted a bike I could clip aero bars on and do TTs as well as sportives, big audaxes etc. I rode my mates bike and it was very stiff, and quite unforgiving, the aeroad, IMO is much comfier. but, with the aeroad, you get deep wheels (i replaced the cosmics with 38mm all carbon clinchers) and they add weight, and on uphills, especially with a cross wind can be very draggy indeed. If you have no desire to use the bike for improving your TT time then maybe the SLX is the bike for you. but, their alu Di2 bike for 2k looks stunning as well…

oldgit
    Free Member

Does anyone have a figure for the power loss suffered by a supposedly flexy frame like a PX carbon in comparison to, say, oldgit’s favoured Giant ?

That won’t exist. What I can tell you that I had a PX SL Pro, I raced it a whole season as well.
    When I tried a similarly specced Giant the difference was huge. I won’t slate the PX as it served me well. But on a regular training route there are three climbs that require the 39t ring, on the Giant I never dropped it out of the 53t. It also instantly made a difference in my race positions and ability to be an active member of the group.

BearBack
    Free Member

Scott addict is coming back for 2014.
    Average Jo racer wasn’t getting the aero advantage of the foil and the cr1 isn’t quite race ready…

flap_jack
    Free Member

Does anyone have a figure for the power loss suffered by a supposedly flexy frame like a PX carbon in comparison to, say, oldgit’s favoured Giant ?

IME, the more someone’s paid for a frame, the better it makes them go. Maybe it’s because their wallet is lighter…

johnny63

Cannondale synapse hi-mod ? Only slightly longer wheelbase than S6 but shorter than Domane – and the go to bike for cannondale riders in the classics where road conditions probably not that much different from ours. Higher HT allows you to be on the drops longer and more often. Well capable for racing and also super comfortable for longer days too. Think Paul’s Cycles may have a SRAM red for £2k which is great value.

edhornby

a lot of the discussion on here is useful but it’s very fine differences I’d reckon, if you can’t get the best out of a bike then it’s all theory…

have you had a bike fit? if you are serious about laying out the cash, go to Adrian Timmis at Cadence Sport and find out what geometry you need, then discard all the ones that won’t work for you

TiRed

Just bought it…
    Giant Defy Advanced SL

You did say 60 miles of UK roads and it’s been honed on the roads/cobbles of Paris-Roubaix. For closed courses on smooth roads, Giant Propel.

oldgit
    Free Member

When I had a look around the Blanco team bus after the paris roubaix I noticed a few of the team had chosen the Defy.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Stop whining, the roads aren’t that bad.

scaredypants

spoony, you talking to TiRed or cycling plus ?

martinxyz
    Free Member

Brant just sent some code up there.. It’s morse for Rt & 58.

TiRed

Stop whining, the roads aren’t that bad.

You weren’t on this morning’s club run. Shocking roads in Surrey.

scaredypants

brant originally said “a mondo” and then some other stuff that, presumably, he shouldn’t 😆

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Most technically advanced road frame for…….’ is closed to new replies.