Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)
  • Most Technical trail in Southern England?
  • mikey74
    Free Member

Any ideas?

nickc

Define "Southern"

thomthumb
    Free Member

i would suggest it will be somewhere exmoor/ dartmoor ish.

leggyblonde
    Free Member

define "technical"

mikey74
    Free Member

Define "Southern"

Good question. I would suggest below Birmingham, but others may disagree.

fozzybear
    Free Member
    sheldona
    Free Member

Theres a great secret trail in the FOD with big doubles and a few drops. But I'd have to kill you if I told you where it was 🙁 Even had a small trail gap jump in it!

mikey74
    Free Member

Well thanks for that Sheldona – guess I'll have to miss out then.

sheldona
    Free Member

🙂

mikey74
    Free Member

And there was me thinking that mountain biking was one big friendly community. Perhaps I'll go back to Canada, where it is :mrgreen:

neilforrow

technical… has to be wheels on the ground.

has to be on Dartmoor somewhere, take your pick… couple over Exmoor… but i found one (cheeky) in Butterdonball that is mega tech. slow, steep off camber all the way, switchbacks, roots, rock and always wet. A corker of a trail.

oh and the middle 'HSD trail at Gawton… to ride that feet up and quick is tough.

sheldona
    Free Member

mikey74 Happy to show you around if you want to come and ride!

mikey74
    Free Member

Cheers Sheldona: Is there enough there to warrant a day trip from south of London?

uplink
    Free Member

Without a doubt, I'd say the North face of the Uxbridge Rd.

snaps
    Free Member

This

that leads into this

on Dartmoor is 'interesting'

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

its Track 40 mikey

jam-bo

XC trails? dartmoor probably is the most technically demanding. quantocks is more fun and flat out but dartmoor is harder.

DH – i can take you to any number of tracks round the SW that'll stretch even the best riders. Quantocks has some evil tracks hidden away and some stuff around tavistock is super tech and super steep.

jam-bo

and technical doesn't have to be wheels on the ground stuff. there are some tracks that require some serious ability to get to the drops/kickers with enough speed to make them. add in hips and step ups/step down and you add a whole new dimension to technical…

neilforrow

jam bo… know what you mean… i meant to it read -xc style riding- reading it back iit sounds stupid.

sheldona
    Free Member

Cheers Sheldona: Is there enough there to warrant a day trip from south of London?

Yup! Just mail me if you want to come ride! I know around 70+ miles of trails there!

binners

Technical? southern? trail. an oxymoron surely? 😀

RealMan
    Free Member

Snaps, way more technical stuff then that at the devils punchbowl, although that still looks pretty fun.

mikey74
    Free Member

Snaps, way more technical stuff then that at the devils punchbowl, although that still looks pretty fun.

Really? Got any pics and/or location info?

snaps
    Free Member

Depends what sort of technical, steep switchback type stuff or rocky 'pick a line' trails.
    But in those pics above your mind is struggling to process what you're seeing & feeling fast enough as you have to fight with the bars & add foward motion & balance with the pedals as your back wheel is getting bounced & deflected sideways constantly with grip randomly varying from sandpaper like granite to slippery moss covered wheel traps – very mentally involving even at a little over walking pace!
    I've riden more techy short sections but that one goes on like that for nearly half a mile.

bigsi
    Free Member

There are a few good tech trails (ladders, gaps etc) on the Southdowns (i kid you not) you just need to know where to look 😉

As before it really depends on what your call technical 😕

RealMan
    Free Member

Uh yeah its slightly north of the devils punchbowl in hindhead, a descent that takes you down to a river.

DaRC_L

Ahh 'tis true bigsi and I don't bounce nearly well enough to tackle the more technical drops / jumps.
    Anyway I thought the North began at the North Downs…

nickc

TBH there's little bits of tech everywhere really, it's knowing where they are, and whether it's worth going to them. Even in the Chilts where I ride, I can find steep and techy singletrack, but it's spread out all over the place.

sharki
    Free Member

I did the one that snaps has suggested last sunday…from top to bottom it's a super involving trail that has a good mix of technicalness… from rocky step downs, mech bashing rocks lurking on the trail edges, multiple line all offering a different challenge and then you sweep clear of the descent and enter a forest of granite boulders to attempt to navigate through, using trials movements, balance and power to batter through a lineless trail..fun it is!

Wrongun
    Free Member

Aston hill black run

MrAgreeable

Even missing out the gap jumps, the hard tracks at Gawton DH are the techiest stuff I've ridden* in the South.

*pushed/fallen down if the truth be told 😳

jedi

herts shore imho

fatsimonmk2
    Free Member

Essex alps(only tech cause i have to put up with things like this trying to hide in the bushes)

MrNutt
    Free Member

psst… …the woods 😉

j-claw
    Free Member

herts shore imho

Agreed.

LOL at that 'technical' Dartmoor pic. Double LOL at MTBing in Southern England. Get yerself oop norf!

mikey74
    Free Member

LOL at that 'technical' Dartmoor pic. Double LOL at MTBing in Southern England. Get yerself oop norf!

I agree with you, but seeming as I live in the South (just south of London), I want to find the best riding I possibly can without a weekend away.

heihei

mikey74 – seem to remember your local patch is leith hill etc. most tech trail (without jumps etc) is what I've always known as Weird and Emotional on Pitch Hill. Always surprises me!!

mikey74
    Free Member

Whereabouts is it?

allthepies
    Free Member

>Uh yeah its slightly north of the devils punchbowl in hindhead, a descent that takes you down to a river.

Errr, I can guess the section you're talking about and it's a long way from being the most tech trail in Southern England. I'd imagine Dartmoor/Exmoor would hold the answer.

biscuit
    Free Member

barry knows best.

So tech, people uplift it.

Gnarly

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)

The topic ‘Most Technical trail in Southern England?’ is closed to new replies.