Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Most technical descent in the Chilterns?
  • jimfrandisco
    Free Member

The Chilterns are great – masses of bridleways, great scenery, heaps of XC etc, but not exactly know for anything technical.
    I’m happy enough with that, but would be interested to see what the new bike is capable of (fully rigid, 29er plus) so wondering what the most technical (steep, rocky, rooty) descents might be in the Chilterns?

I’m down in Wallingford, so guessing it would further NE to find some steeper stuff?
    Any Chiltern’s local got any suggestions?

kimbers

Aston hill black run

Andy

Ride a 29 plus (Rooster) in the South Chilterns a lot and there isnt anything beyond it around here. Its great riding but pretty tame.

faustus

Struggling to think of anything actually technical…the long descent from Park Corner to Warburg nature reserve is ‘tricky’ if not technical. It has a lot of loose surface and lots of large flints, so going fast on it is difficult and not that pleasant. Otherwise I can only think of occasional roots and the geology means no real rockiness except for loose flints…

EDIT – I just went for more speed to increase difficulty, it’s still all nice riding too

Andy

At the moment where the 29 plus is great is on the rock hard horse hoofed dried mud 😀

adsh
    Free Member

On an early morning away from walkers it’s probably the footpath section of Grims Ditch – personally I avoid.

Grims Ditch bridleway’s reasonably twisty, Aston XC loop has more roots and turns than you can shake a stick at but take your climbing legs (I race XC and still use 28/42 on it)

weeksy

Spent a few hours around by you in the last few wekeends, including a 70km loop yesterday, i didn’t find anything terribly techincal, however i did find a lot of enjoyable riding that’s for sure.

faustus

Andy – I think that’s probably the most soul-destroying trail surface 🙂

jimfrandisco
    Free Member

I’d forgotten about Aston Hill…looks like it’s further north for anything steeper/technical then.
    Might wander up that way at some point, but for now will just make the most of the dried up mud!
    cheers

jimfrandisco
    Free Member

adsh – occassionally do the top of Grim’s ditch on a night ride, when it’s guaranteed to be empty.
    Last time it was about 8pm, pitch black and icey…which i guess is was technical of sorts!

weeksy

I did the whole of Grims Ditch yesterday, i wasn’t quick as i don’t know the trail so was taking it easy and it being rooty didn’t really suit my HT much, but i was a very enjoyable trail 🙂

jameso

The straight-line run down the chalk gulley off dunstable downs can get pretty technical : )

Otherwise it’s Aston Hill. Natural trails in this whole area aren’t tech as such, but riding some of them fast on a rigid bike is a kind of technical challenge, one of line choice, carrying speed over roots, flow over the ground and through slippy corners etc. None of it is steep, chunky and scary-looking but there are a couple of lesser-known trails that many people would walk down.

PM me if you’re planning to ride around Wendover area, happy to show you a few runs.

adsh
    Free Member

I did the whole of Grims Ditch yesterday, i wasn’t quick as i don’t know the trail so was taking it easy and it being rooty didn’t really suit my HT much, but i was a very enjoyable trail

FWIW I think that’s the right way to ride Grims Ditch.

1. It’s a right of way – walkers and possibly a Strava wannabee round a blind bend

2. It’s banked with no run off – overcook it and it can really hurt.

hughjayteens
    Free Member

Aston is pretty steep and technical although you’re a braver man than me to try that on a rigid bike! TBH, apart from the drop at the end which you can ride around, the black doesn’t have any big drops or jumps so might be ‘fun’. Ricochet is also pretty techy but not as steep. Root Canal has quite a few smallish drops and then some super steep switchbacks. Surface 2 Air probably no fun on a rigid.

retrobri
    Free Member

there’s a nice cheeky trail near pangerboune/hardwick estate which is steep & rooty but over in less than a minute!

and the trail from near whitchurch hill to Goring (not thames path) that’s a good one on a rigid if the rain has washed the stones on to the trail!

Trimix
    Free Member

There are a few good “techy” descents off the top of Whiteleaf hill near Princess Risborough.

Flaperon

There are a few good “techy” descents off the top of Whiteleaf hill near Princess Risborough.

Just find a chalky bit and wait ’til it rains. You’ll never complain the trails aren’t technical enough again… 😉

petec
    Free Member

that one from Whitchurch to Goring used to be great when there was nothing but steps. Riding down the steps used to be ace.

then the national trust put in a path.

Back when the Hairy Legs was a proper Biathlon it was on the route. One dog walker complained (about 300 cyclists coming at him 😯 ) and it got changed to two runs instead. Still ace.

Trimix
    Free Member

Email me if you fancy some techy stuff – I can show you the sections I enjoy on my YT Capra 🙂

badnewz
    Free Member

Aston Hill is bloody technical especially when its muddy.

maxtorque

kimbers
    Aston hill black run

In the wet, on a worn set of Furious Freds…… 😆

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Most technical descent in the Chilterns?’ is closed to new replies.