Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)
  • Most stressful time in your life?
  • benz
    Free Member

Couple years back I ended up having multiple investigations due to strange blood test results. Ultimately suspicion pointed towards Multiple Myeloma. Waiting for the results for the specific tests associated with that turned me into a real basket case. I chose not to tell my family about the tests. Waiting outside the Dr for the results was not good… Happy to admit that I cried when the results are negative.

Life has not been so stressful since then….

Harry_the_Spider

Losing my job wasn’t much fun.

edit

Actually the worst was when my wife contracted Strep A the day my daughter was born. Got taken to one side and given “the numbers” by a doctor. This was the same day that I negotiated our new house (good timing eh?). I was on the phone to the estate agent and actually thought that there was a 50% chance that I would only be needing 2 bedrooms not 4.

I was strangely calm at the time but had a bit of a wobbly about 2 weeks later when it was all over.

edit#2

Nothing like as bad as some of the posts below though.

Suggsey
    Free Member

Waiting to see if my then three and a half year old daughter would survive her cancer and secondaries……came within half an hour of loosing her one night…….she’s twenty five now and gets married later this year.
    Nothing has stressed me out as much as that and some crap and mega stressful stuff has happened since then but the worst were only a threat to my life, not my child’s.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

The last 6 months & counting.

jam-bo

First son was born 13 weeks early. All good now.

joepose
    Free Member

Losing someone you love to cancer is pretty stressful.

DezB
    Free Member

Splitting up. Nothing has come close.

jambaron
    Free Member

I have twins on the way so will probably be finding out what stress really is!

benz
    Free Member

Harry, I got made redundant just before Xmas. The run-up to it and subsequent waiting to see if I have got another job have been stressful……but of a much lower magnitude than some have had to deal with above.

loverofminkys

For me it’s probably having stage four hodgkins Lymphoma (lungs,stomach, spine, hips, femur etc etc) and then also being diagnosed with auto immune hepatitis ( my body is trying to reject my own liver) all in the same couple of months. At the age of 25. Although it was the second time I’d had the cancer I was still pretty bloody stressed as was my family.
    40 % chance of surviving Still that was nearly 8 years ago, puts things into perspective a tad though

ton

the loooong week in hospital after heart surgery last august.

iolo
    Free Member

From working as a site manager on Civil Engineering contracts with a lovely partner,nice house and dog to having an enormous crash, losing everything, attempting suicide twice, being sectioned in various mental institutes in Wales and Austria, gaining 6 stone from medication and struggling to get any kind of help from the NHS. They still are bloody awful with mental health and none of the managers give a shit!!!!!!!!
    I’m trying to rebuild my life but it’s bloody hard.
    Quite stressful.

Suggsey
    Free Member

Indeed, there is always someone worse off than yourself was how I looked at it at the time.
    Loverofminkys, keep up the fight! 😉

cfinnimore
    Free Member

January, February, March 2014.

A better year this time, I hope.

Houns

The last 9 months for me, getting worse over the last 2. Numerous reasons but (nearly) all due to Miss Houns. Not out of the woods yet either

pedropete

The last 2 years of my life – my gorgeous wife died suddenly ( strep A) & I’m struggling to make sense of everything whilst bringing up my 8 &10 year old kids. Give your wife & kids a hug tonight.

loverofminkys

Suggesy. Very true words. I have to admit I spent most of the time in hospital looking around at everyone else in there feeling lucky I wasn’t as ill as them. Defo makes you realise what’s important in life tho and I feel strangely lucky to have learnt that early on (would of still much rather not learnt that way tho!)

sadexpunk

both teenage lads being hooked on legal highs a couple of years ago, eldest also injecting. every day we seemed to have police or social workers round, they also went missing for days on end. eldest has ended up in the mental system with paranoid scizophrenia and psychosis. youngest seems to have got off with it but still does weed.
    has resulted in us having to move house so my wife wasnt left to deal with it when i was away working, so neither of them live with us now.

we seem to have come through the other side, but the scars are deep and lifes far from ideal.

EDIT: reading some of the above make you realise someone always has it worse tho.

MoreCashThanDash

I’ve had to wait on the results of cancer tests, and also had a load of tests when I was getting mysterious chest pains and dizzy turns.

Not great, genuinely scared, but nothing compared to what some of you guys have been through.

Been made redundant twice and wasn’t that worried by it either time, tbh. Always knew I’d find a job even if it was stacking shelves

Bregante

Having read some of the above posts mine seem piffling by comparison but for me it was losing my business and almost going bankrupt at the same time as trying to get into the cops because the first would almost certainly have ruled out the second! A year of hell (comparitively)

Having Guillain Barre Syndrome from 2002 to 2003 was shite too.

johnikgriff
    Free Member

I had cancer twice, first time when I was 4weeks past my 21st and then a relapse when I was 23. Rough time on the 2nd go.

Tbh it was nothing compared to when my son became very (verg) ill not long after he was born. Unfortunatly it didn’t go well for him and he has been left with a lot of problems. Tbh it took me 3 years to come back from it, but I did (cos you have to).

xcracer1
    Free Member

Being rushed to hospital in an ambulance (twice) with all things sticking out of me and the subsequent constant anxiety / depression. Never knew anxiety disorder could be so convincing.

Best feeling was eliminating the anxiety disorder and getting back to normal, knowing having gone through the recovery it can never have the same effect on me as i know and have that experience of how i recovered, and nothing gives more confidence than actually doing it.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The 3 weeks before I emigrated to Oz, 3 years later a lot more of that makes sense.

Ambrose

I’ve been worried about my job for a while now. That all pales into total insignificance compared with what members above have had thrust upon them. Ouch.

Deep respect to you all. I particularly liked the remark from johnikgriff about just getting on with it ‘cos you have too’. This is so, so true.
    life kicks you in the nuts, you collapse in agony, pain, awfulness. And then you get up, brush yourself off, and get back to dealing with it as best you can. Special stuff.

stavromuller
    Free Member

Worst time ever was when stavro jr. was diagnosed with a brain tumour at 12 yrs old. It got so bad my hair started to fall out but we all got through it and jr. is now a 26 yr old layabout, university graduate.

dannyh
    Free Member

I’ve been really ‘stressed’ the last month about my job.

I have had a bit of an epiphany today, and realise that it is all very likely to be ok, and even if it isn’t, it’s not life and death.

I have had real stress (although nowhere near the level of some on here) in my life. I now feel stupid and a bit ashamed that I had got into such a state about my job. Even my own experiences should have put that into perspective, but I just got on a bit of a scary and negative spiral.

The mind is a funny thing sometimes.

Big respect to those of you out there who have dealt with really bad stuff and come out the other side. Hopefully for those still in these situations, you keep finding the energy to keep on going.

wilburt
    Free Member

Wife #2 going through a nervous breakdown, encouraging her marine boyfriend to remove me as a problem whilst also having relationship with a married local copper was a bit tricky specially cos I was going through a difficult time at work with a senior colleague having nervous breakdown due to drug abuse and staff reporting my manager to me for sexual abuse.

With hindsight wouldn’t change it for the world it was like an episode of holyoaks in realtime!

iainc

Prostate cancer diagnosis in August 14 was up there. Telling the kids (8 and 12) was up there too. I had my prostate removed 6 weeks ago, will get blood tests every 3 months for many yrs now, not great times but could be a helluva worse..

postierich
    Free Member

This year ran out of tea bags local shop was closed till 6am in the morning I was gasping even sipped on some Earl Grey YUCK!
    Last year having this taken out of my chest CT scans showed it pressing against my heat and lungs Doc said it could be attached to my lungs and I would lose one!!! But that was not the worse case senario got pressed ganged into getting married a day before the op 🙂
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/hZbKpa]DSCF4172[1][/url] by Richard Munro, on Flickr
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/hZckRh]DSCF4173[1][/url] by Richard Munro, on Flickr

athgray
    Free Member

To echo other comments, some people here have some tough battles. I wish everyone the best. For me the last 18 months have been a roller coaster. Previous employer went bust. Current employer means working away from home. We had our third child 10 months ago at the same time my mum was diagnosed with Huntington’s Disease. I am currently going through genetic councilling prior to a test to see if I will inherit it. 50/50 chance. Not so much bothered about how this affects me, more the rest of the family, especially the kids.

wilburt
    Free Member

Point being…to anyone who may find themselves in the thick of it(medical stuff aside) it’s the best bit of life, enjoy it, there’ll be plenty of time for dull.

iainc

^^^ indeed, proper nasty medical stuff puts the rest of life’s crap into perspective..

chewkw
    Free Member

Since I was born.

😯

xcracer1
    Free Member

Agree with other, some amazing stories of courage on here.

allthegear
    Free Member

Stress? I thought I wasn’t one of those people that suffered with strew, I’m pretty relaxed as a person normally.

Going through transition has been an eye opener, though! All sorts of worry over situations I knew would be coming up caused stress but, the scary horrible things I worried about never materialised. I nearly packed up and ran away from that first Pootle! Somehow, it seems my imagination is far, for worse than reality!

I do have to admit to having a huge wobbler in the few minutes before actually going under for surgery, though. I really did start to question myself and whether I was doing the (very permanent) right thing. Would I even wake up? All that type of thing. Apparently my heart rate was a bit raised! Of course, having my surgeon helping the anaesthetist out my putting in the canula and missing twice really didn’t help…

(Not admitted to the second thoughts before – needless to say, I absolutely did make the right call in the end 🙂 )
    Rachel

cloudnine
    Free Member

Couldnt find a matching pair of socks last week.. dont know how i managed to make it through that day tbh.

jamj1974

I’ve had a tough few months but nothing compared to some of the posters above. Those who are still going through it now – I’m thinking of you.

Take care J

john_drummer
    Free Member

The last 15 months have not been good, although only the last 6 months have impacted on me directly.

Sept 2013, mrs_d’s sisters”s husband, Jem, fell ill. Turned out to be pancreatic cancer 🙁 3% 5 year survival rate.
    June 2014 mrs_d found a lump in her right breast. Cancer. 7 months of surgery & chemotherapy later, we think she’s going to be ok. Radiotherapy still to do
    September 2014 Jem lost his battle with pancreatic cancer 🙁
    He was a couple of months younger than me, I’m 50 next month. Nothing like that to remind you of your own mortality

December 2014 my mum started having bowel problems, suspected pre-cancerous polyp. Surgery last week, seems to have gone well, waiting on biopsy results…

scunny
    Free Member

Currently waiting to find out if MrsScunny’s endomitriosis has made her infertile, op in 10 weeks.

It understandably heartbreaking for her – and me!, but my lack of empathy (I have some low level social/dyslexia/aspergers thing, you probably wouldn’t notice if you met me in the pub but people that know me do) makes it hard for her to talk about it and i’ve been pretty strict about not involving our parents. Shit for me, moreso for her.

Could be worse.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

My son was born with CHD. He went into heart failure and needed major surgery when he was 5 months old.

Although life was very hard for those 5 months, I don’t know if I’d describe it as stressful. You just kind of get on with it and cope. There’s not a lot else you can do.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘Most stressful time in your life?’ is closed to new replies.