Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • most robust dropper post?
  • ton

fancy a dropper for my solaris.
    is one noted for its robustness?
    I owned a reverb previously, it was NOT very robust.

1timmy1
    Free Member

Both my gen 1 and gen 2 giant contact switch droppers have been maintenance free and we’re at the cheap end of the spectrum.

jam-bo

Gravity dropper. Agricultural.

jekkyl

Gravity dropper. Bombproof but not the prettiest.

Tracey

Every one of our bikes has a Specialized Command post fitted. Some go back to 2011. Broke one, think it was the collar. Specialized repaired it free of charge. Rest have been fine. We have a spare and up to now have never had to use it.

ton

had a command post on my enduro. it failed to drop.

jam-bo

Also quite impressed so far with my dehy revive with its built in reset switch for when air inevitably gets where it shouldn’t.

fudge9202
    Free Member

This has been faultless for me and a three year warranty, reviews are great even after a year of riding

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/singletrackworld.com/reviews/review-crank-brothers-highline-dropper-post/amp/

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

To be fair Specialized’s Command Post does have just about the best reputation for reliability amongst the hydraulic posts.

Sure, look hard enough and every type has gone wrong at some point.

crashrash

Thomson dropper on my solaris – pricey but beautiful action, easy install and been on for 18 months after 18 months on my FS bike. No problems. I do use the widers and sodstrom lube from TF tuned which is genius at cleaning the seals.
    On the new FS bike I went through 3 reverbs and now on KSlev integra which has also been great – plus side of these is you can service yourself. The Thomson has to be sent to iRide.

Stevelol
    Free Member

Command post irc user here, 20 months old, had one full service performed by me at 12 months, using with a southpaw remote and it’s been bombproof.

P-Jay
    Free Member

My X-Fusion was reliable bar the rail clamp cracking (over tighend and heavy landing did for it). Both reverbs let me down.

New Pro Dropper looks bomb proof and is made to be easy to home service, but too early to know how tough it actually is.

chestrockwell

My mate had a Command for years and I had a Thomson. I now have his Command and he has my Thomson and they’re still both working as new. The Thomson is a really lovely bit of kit and if they came with a black post I’d have another tomorrow.

chestrockwell

My mate had a Command for years and I had a Thomson. I now have his Command and he has my Thomson and they’re still both working as new. The Thomson is a really lovely bit of kit and if they came with a black post I’d have another tomorrow.

andykirk
    Free Member

Just so you are clear, Chestrockwell’s mate had a Command for years and he had a Thomson. He now has his Command and he has his Thomson and they’re still both working as new. The Thomson is a really lovely bit of kit and if they came with a black post he’d have another tomorrow.

milky1980
    Free Member

After going through a few Reverbs – stopped counting after 5! – of the various generations they’ve done I looked into a reliable replacement. Asked around various shops etc and they all pointed at the Fox Transfer as it is super smooth and I couldn’t find anywhere that had found issues with them. The previous DOSS was known for being incredibly reliable but the 3-positions and that HUGE lever held it back.

So far it’s been faultless, my Reverb on the other bike feels awful in comparison and it’s nearly new (warranty). When that dies I’ll be getting another Transfer.

duner
    Free Member

Another vote for the command post. Very simple design that doesn’t have much to go wrong. Me and several mates have used them for years with no issues.

crashrash

if your on a budget just seen the RSP dropper for £85 at Tredz!

Northwind

Reverb flakiness is ime mostly countered by the fast hassle free warranty (and they usually fail soft, it’s annoying when they go spongy but they still work).

Just ordered a Bikeyoke one, we’ll see how that goes, I quite like their philosophy of “dropper posts all fail so we just fitted an unfail button”

batman11
    Free Member

Been running the bikeyoke all summer been faultless as said if it’s sat for a week and is bouncy you just use the air reset before you ride back to solid again.
    Also got a transfer on other bikes seems good to. The original doss I had was great and had that for about 4 years on varyious bikes and never had an issue.

slimjim78
    Free Member

I’ve tried Reverb, Thomson, Lev, Command Post.

To be fair im yet to have a complete failure, but so far my fave, and ‘most reliable’ has been the Command Post. Thought I’d hate the ‘step’ approach to lowering, turns out I like it more than infinite adjust. Climbing, cruising, downhill, those are all the positions I need.
    Thomson feels great in use, although I hated the OEM remote lever.

I also run the shifter style Spesh remote. It’s got a spring loaded bearing action, and it’s luvly.
    Have subsequently read pretty much only good things about the Command Post so that is where my future money and recommendations go.

bramblesummer
    Free Member

I’m in the habit of buying reverbs that are playing up, then doing a major service on them myself with a full service kit and updated IFP. Of the 5 in the house, none have even hinted at playing up after a service. The major point is to grease the heck out of the bushes.

History and reputation says they’re not reliable, but the fact that they’re so cheap to acquire used, parts are easily available and they’re not hard to do a major service on means that they’re still my first choice. Add in the reliability I’m seeing after a bit of work and I can’t see a reason to buy anything else.

If reverb isn’t on the menu, then I’d go for the fox transfer.

variflex
    Free Member

if you can get hold of one the 9point8 posts are supposed to be THE ones to have

PolisherMan

Love my Command Post, so easy to service. It’s like a modern day Gravity Dropper but slicker. The only minor drawback is that it’s a layback post/30.9mm only. Don’t really bother me.

chestrockwell

Just so you are clear, Chestrockwell’s mate had a Command for years and he had a Thomson. He now has his Command and he has his Thomson and they’re still both working as new. The Thomson is a really lovely bit of kit and if they came with a black post he’d have another tomorrow.

Bet that sounded funny in your head.

dms01

YEP posts. I have been running one for 3 years, no need yet for a service, or even having to add more air!

Northwind

variflex – Member

if you can get hold of one the 9point8 posts are supposed to be THE ones to have

The reason you often can’t get hold of them is that they can’t keep up with warranty returns

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

‘Robust’ isn’t a term I’d use for the OP’s requirements! 😆 😉

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘most robust dropper post?’ is closed to new replies.