Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 84 total)
  • Most overrated album of all time
  • TheFopster
    Free Member

What's the story would be on my list. Nevermind and Never mind… would certainly not be.

Think I'd go for anything by Coldplay or Muse.

And as fan of whiney middle class art school bollox I'll have no truck with anyone describing Radiohead as over-rated. I'd say best British band of last decade hands down.

But I ride a bike from Halfords and am therefore clearly deranged. I'll excuse myself from the vote… 😳

loddrik
    Free Member

Anything by oasis. They really should have called one of their albums 'emperors new clothes'…

Surf-Mat – nobody has been more wrong, ever!

Add me to the Floyd & Beatles list, although don't forget we would still be listening to Vera Lynne if it weren't for the Beatles – apparently.

Oasis are/were massively over-hyped, but I find most of their stuff bearable.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Ok computer for me – never have liked it and I am with previous poster in liking the bends and Pablo honey.

nickc

This thread depresses me

geoffj

Biscuit +1

Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band – load of drug induced twaddle.

Surf_Mat is wrong though Stone Roses is magnificent.

CountZero

If it hadn't been for the Beatles and The Kinks you wouldn't have had Oasis. Oh, wait a minute…
    I refuse to get involved in 'Greatest Album…' debates, just because it is so subjective. Many albums I think are as good as anything out there would probably not even be recognised by most people, XTC's Apple Venus, Jeff Buckley's Grace, Aimee Mann's Welcome Home, for example, but certainly there are a few here that music critics and journalists consistently praise that leave me cold. Oasis' entire output, Nirvana, the same, with the exception of '…Teen Spirit', anything by the Happy Mondays, in fact that entire 'baggy' Manc dance scene. The Stone Roses album is overrated, except for two tracks, in my opinion. King Crimson's In The Court Of The Crimson King, on the other hand is an astonishing album even now. It was the first actual rock album I ever heard, when I was still at school, and it utterly changed my entire perspective of what music could sound like. Previous to that it was just what I heard on the BBC. I don't think there's many on here can imagine what listening to 21st Century Schitzoid Man sounded like to a sixteen year-old who was used to hearing Peter, Paul and Mary on the Light Programme.
    To those who despise 'Prog', you're doing so from hindsight, it was utterly unlike what had gone before and was fresh and exciting at the time.

philsimm
    Free Member

TooTall – Member
    philsimm – ever heard of The Real People? There was even an out of court settlement by Oasis because they ripped them off so much. Really nice guys as well.

Yes! They played at the Tivoli in Buckley about 12 months ago for a bit of a reunion gig IIRC. I thought the singer from the RP helped produce the very first Oasis EP though?

geoffj

anything by the Happy Mondays, in fact that entire 'baggy' Manc dance scene

😐

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

utter sh1te

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

With Rich Penny on this one. What's the bloody point?

If OK Computer is a bit difficult to understand… 🙄

nickc

And IIRC Ok Computer was pretty much universally acclaimed at the time of release apart from the NME who thought it was a bit shit

You are ill served by your memory. Quite rightly, the NME said at the time…

"Such stoicism renders 'OK Computer' a spectacular success: a true articulation of the anxiety of late-20th century man backed with music not only of extraordinary grace and melody, but also of experimental clarity and vision. Truly, this is one of the greatest albums of living memory – and the one that distances Radiohead from their peers by an interstellar mile.(10/10)"

ononeorange

Another vote for anything by Michael Jackson

sc-xc

I refuse to get involved in 'Greatest Album…' debates, just because it is so subjective.

Many albums I think are as good as anything out there would probably not even be recognised by most people, XTC's Apple Venus, Jeff Buckley's Grace, Aimee Mann's Welcome Home, for example, but certainly there are a few here that music critics and journalists consistently praise that leave me cold. Oasis' entire output, Nirvana, the same, with the exception of '…Teen Spirit', anything by the Happy Mondays, in fact that entire 'baggy' Manc dance scene. The Stone Roses album is overrated, except for two tracks, in my opinion. King Crimson's In The Court Of The Crimson King, on the other hand is an astonishing album even now. It was the first actual rock album I ever heard, when I was still at school, and it utterly changed my entire perspective of what music could sound like. Previous to that it was just what I heard on the BBC. I don't think there's many on here can imagine what listening to 21st Century Schitzoid Man sounded like to a sixteen year-old who was used to hearing Peter, Paul and Mary on the Light Programme.
    To those who despise 'Prog', you're doing so from hindsight, it was utterly unlike what had gone before and was fresh and exciting at the time.

😀

DezB
    Free Member

I'm with those who said this is a stupid thread I'm afraid. The first 2 pics in the thread are 2 of my fave albums of the past, so who are they "overrated" by? Me? OK.
    Who else should "my" overrated album be overrated by? Me? Journalists? Buying public?
    Maybe I'm thinking about it too much eh?
    Yeah Bat of of Hell is shit, but who is it overrated by? I've never seen any review where its been highly rated. People with no taste in music rate it highly… etc etc. etc… moving on.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band – load of drug induced twaddle.

Surf_Mat is wrong though Stone Roses is magnificent

Yes thank God for those clean living Stone Roses and their drug free music

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Anything by White Stripes.

Got bottled off the stage in New Zealand. What a GREAT country…

brassneck

Surf_Mat is wrong though Stone Roses is magnificent.

He pretty much proved that by including Pearl Jam in his 'best' list.

Many albums I think are as good as anything out there would probably not even be recognised by most people, XTC's Apple Venus

You see this sums it up. Wasp Star (the followup) is FAR FAR FAR better, and equally unknown. In my opinion.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

joe@brookscycles
    Free Member

Not 'Of all time' but one of the most over-rated of recent times:

MGMT – Oracular Spectacular. 3 inoffensive Radio 1 singles, and a lot of lift-muzak turd.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

He pretty much proved that by including Pearl Jam in his 'best' list.

Ahhh yes the mark of a person wanting everyone to know how "cool" they are musically – choose some obscure and rather cr4p band/album and harp on about it non stop.

My dad taught Phil Lynott to play guitar and played session bass with Free, Thin Lizzy and many others. Therefore I am righter than you and your "underground/naff" choice of music.

Do you carry a guitar around with you everywhere and grow your nails long to look like a muso? Thought so.

philsimm
    Free Member

You are ill served by your memory. Quite rightly, the NME said at the time…

"Such stoicism renders 'OK Computer' a spectacular success: a true articulation of the anxiety of late-20th century man backed with music not only of extraordinary grace and melody, but also of experimental clarity and vision. Truly, this is one of the greatest albums of living memory – and the one that distances Radiohead from their peers by an interstellar mile.(10/10)"

Sorry, my mistake – it was the Melody Maker who gave it a lukewarm response

I'm with those who said this is a stupid thread I'm afraid. The first 2 pics in the thread are 2 of my fave albums of the past, so who are they "overrated" by? Me? OK.

Yes, yours. Just asking for an opinion that's all

DezB
    Free Member

MGMT – Oracular Spectacular

Yep, I "over"rated that one. you didn't 'Get it'. I did. Your loss.
    Shit, I knew I should've ignored this thread!

ianv
    Free Member

Would agree with Beatles and Nirvana but cannot agree with Radiohead.

Kraftwerk are pretty overrated IMO

joe@brookscycles
    Free Member

Dez: Perhaps 'overhyped' would be more accurate than 'over-rated'. After all the buzz, I expected more. Maybe it's me getting old as well. I don't seem to 'get' a lot of new stuff, not half as much as I used to. And I'm only 26!

scottidog
    Free Member

MGMT – Oracular Spectacular

Yep, I "over"rated that one. you didn't 'Get it'. I did. Your loss.
    Shit, I knew I should've ignored this thread!

Here here. Same goes for you radiohead doubters out there.

Garry_Lager

Personal over-rating by me was Janes Addiction. I thought they were the best US rock band by a mile in my late teens – they were the darlings of MM and NME round that time as well.
    More recently, I get my first mp3 player and rip all of my old cds onto it. Fire up Nothing's Shocking and Ritual for old times sake and it's unbelievable how bad it sounds – shrill LA wuss-rock. Even if you ignore how gratingly effete Perry Farrel's voice sounds, the whole sound is terribly weak and dated.

brassneck

Ahhh yes the mark of a person wanting everyone to know how "cool" they are musically – choose some obscure and rather cr4p band/album and harp on about it non stop.

My dad taught Phil Lynott to play guitar and played session bass with Free, Thin Lizzy and many others. Therefore I am righter than you and your "underground/naff" choice of music.

Do you carry a guitar around with you everywhere and grow your nails long to look like a muso? Thought so.

WTF?? Bit touchy aren't we? Since when has being able to play a bit (which I can as it happens, short nails and hair always though, not a fingerpicker unfortunately) mattered when it comes to listening to music?

You didn't read the post did you?

Stone Roses = hardly obscure. Neither are XTC come to that.
    Wasp Star/Apple Venus = demonstrating it's only opinion, though I'll confess I've only got Apple Venus on vinyl so it's been a while since I listened to it. I might have changed my mind. That's the beauty of an opinion see.

WARNING – OPINION INCOMING
    However I still think Pearl Jam did nothing of merit. Plus I'll agree with MGMT being nothing, I was expecting something a bit special.. probably didn't stick with it long enough because of that.
    OPINON ENDS.

DezB/Scottidog you may now also flame me 😀

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

This has probably made you very closed minded when it comes to music

brassneck

This is the beauty and futility of debating it (from CountZero's post):

XTC's Apple Venus, Jeff Buckley's Grace, Aimee Mann's Welcome Home

You see I LOVE those artists.

anything by the Happy Mondays, in fact that entire 'baggy' Manc dance scene

.. but I disagree with him 100% here – love the Mondays too me. Glastonbury Pyramid Stage, Wrote for Luck, one of the high points of my youth.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

This has probably made you very closed minded when it comes to music

Yes indeed apart from the fact I don't actually like TL or Free much (or Bob Marley who he also sessioned with)… It just gives a bit of pedigree that's all. In a tin. With some nice dog biscuits.

I like Pearl Jam and still do so there. I will always wonder what the hype was about with the Stone Roses though. I'm sure people liked them just to try and be cool.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Yes indeed apart from the fact I don't actually like TL or Free much (or Bob Marley who he also sessioned with)… It just gives a bit of pedigree that's all. In a tin. With some nice dog biscuits.

Fair enough, I just assumed that cos your dad played with them then it automatically made you like them… And anything else was shit.

jimster
    Free Member

Radiohead – Kid A, no matter how many times I try I just cannot get it.

DezB
    Free Member

Maybe it's me getting old as well.

I'm old enough to be your Dad and then some!

DezB
    Free Member

Personal over-rating by me was Janes Addiction… the whole sound is terribly weak and dated

Have you heard STRAYS??

I really must go!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I will always wonder what the hype was about with the Stone Roses though.

I should just stop wondering if I were you. If you haven't "got" what it was that made that a great album, it's not about to happen anytime soon.

brassneck

I like Pearl Jam and still do so there. I will always wonder what the hype was about with the Stone Roses though. I'm sure people liked them just to try and be cool.

Vice versa 😀

To offer my credentials – I supported The Selecter, but all that proved was that Pauline Black et al didn't like someone accidentally drinking their rider 😳

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

DD - its a cross I think I can comfortably bear.

Brass - I have the musical talent of a paraplegic locust but I do have an ear for decent sound - by that I don't mean decent taste, I mean well set up bands/club systems/etc and well played music.

Cool that you supported The Selector - Thin Lizzy supported Dad's band (Arrival - he was in a few band as a non session artist - also Toad) on their first big tour.

My Dad's still in a band - nothing big and it's just a hobby but they have over 60 gigs booked this year. He has a lovely collection of bass guitars.

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

i think some of the albums selected above were all about the time, the place and the hype that surrounded them at the time of release. Some of them now sound dated and difficult to get into.

Anyway for me I was disappointed with the 1st Stone Roses album and think the 2nd one is underated.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

the 2nd one is underated

Very very true (but don't agree with the first part of the sentence) 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 84 total)

The topic ‘Most overrated album of all time’ is closed to new replies.