Viewing 31 posts - 241 through 271 (of 271 total)
  • Most Over Rated Band In History.
  • grum
    Free Member

emsz – nope, I think it’s genuine. Apparently the synth part was actually a recording and was played back at the wrong sample rate or something.

bikebouy
    Free Member

One must play this LOUD. If you have an Amp may I suggest you turn it up to 11 (al la spinal tap)

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2R2KXNQR1M[/video]

Rock Out.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

oh no – its teh glitchy bump

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    edlong
    Free Member

Can’t believe no one’s mentioned Marc Bolan / T-Rex. A pretty boy with a bit of glitter on his eyelids and an eye on the main chance…

brassneck

Eruption that MF suggested – teh opening chord is a straight steal from Jailbreak. Most of it sounds like Yes from the mid 70s to me ( although that was keyboard)

There are only so many chords TJ. 12 for most root/5th/root power chords. Going to sounda bit like something 1 chord isn’t it? It’s an A if I remember right (but guitar tuned down a half step) which is the same as Pop Song ’89 (REM) but that’s about where the similarity ends.

It sounds like a keyboard but was all played on guitar. No one else was doing anything like it.

guys, really, even I can do passable van Halen guitar ****. most of it is just a bunch of arpeggios and scales, with a bit of bach thrown in every now and again. it’s intricate, but technically it’s not *that* hard. It’s showing off.

It’s pretty easy to copy most guitarist styles. It’s pretty difficult to reinvent the way an instrument is played and more or less drive a whole musical genre for the next few years. I reckon I sound like Hendrix after a couple of pints, doubt many would agree 🙂

I’m not even that big a fan (that was SHOCKING grum) but to suggest he wasn’t a massive musical influence is allowing personal taste / prejudice to rule over fact.

brassneck

les paul has a guitar named after him.

So does EVH

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

bikebouy

I turned the main amp on and turned it up loud. still overrated mince 🙂

bigyinn
    Free Member

TJ, Les Ross has a locomotive named after him, have you ever heard of him?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

What – the gibson “van halen” ? 🙂

Les Paul is influential precisely because of the Gibson Les Paul. How many rock guitarists play a les paul?

BoardinBob
    TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Ah – hardly in the same league as a les paul is it 🙂

emac65
    Free Member

Any band or solo artist of the last 30 years………

Oh & the Beatles……….

plumber
    Free Member

Much as we all owe a great deal of gratitude for Les Pauls inventions over the years putting his name on the les paul model guitar was merely marketing cash in when gibson were failing to keep up with young upstarts fender.

Further the Les Paul model wasn’t that successful in its early years and only came to be recognised as this iconic instrument its become following the application of massive amount of amp gain.

Clapton reinvented the blues along with all the other 60’s white boys.

Ed Van Halen cross pollinated keyboard intervals to the guitar as thats what he had been studying til that point (along with drums)

I credit Ed with a great deal of inate musicality, a different technique, technical skills and with Daves (and alcohols) help a little showmanship

Happy to help

Plum

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Oh balls I’ve clicked on it again.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I made the mistake of watching the ‘Ken Lee’ video again.

😆

Lordy lordy lordy….

All together now:

Ken leeeeeeeeeeeeee, tulibu dubu douchou…

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQt-h753jHI[/video]

bikebouy
    Free Member

Me no likie ken lee

tazzymtb

Elfy you can have ken lee as an early xmas pressie from me. xx

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Tazzy, you truly are a bastard, and for this, I will always love you. 😀

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOfKAPGfd6k[/video]

Slow dances with Tazzy, in a tight embrace. Is overcome by the night’s excesses, vomits down Tazzy’s back)

tazzymtb

vomits down Tazzy’s back

not the first time a man has left a warm wet deposit on my rear

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Manic Street Preachers for me.

Nowadays, turgid middle-aged stadium ‘rock’ masquerading as rebellion-lite.

Saw them supporting the Levellers back in the early 90’s (i think) in this little club in Mnachester, they were so pathetically bad i thought they were some local student band dragged in off the streets to make up the bill.
    Seriously, they were so bad i understood why that prat threw himself into the sea – if i’d been so abysmal so would i!

mikey74
    Free Member

I agree that the EVH guitar is not up there with the les paul, but EVH did actually pioneer a new style of guitar. His frankenstein guitar, that he built from a fender strat body and kramer neck was arguably the first ever example of what is commonly known as the super-strat, now played by guitarists from all genres.

He also worked closely with floyd rose in developing new styles of tremelo bridges and locking mechanisms that ensure the strings don’t go out of tune.

doctornickriviera
    Free Member

Any band with an & in……

Belle & sebastian

Mumford & sons

Mel & kim

Hue & cry

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

Genesis
    Beatles
    U2

oops, nearly forgot Rush

Coyote
    Free Member

Another vote for T-Rex.

The image and the hype promise so much yet deliver so little… Sparks on the other hand 😎

avdave2

Seriously, they were so bad i understood why that prat threw himself into the sea – if i’d been so abysmal so would i!

I guess you’ve been lucky enough not to suffer from any form of mental illness.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

So as well as knowing everything about politics, power generation, and all manner of everything else, TJ is omniscient about guitar playing as well, I see.

He’d happily argue that black is white. Leave him alone and let him froth happily in his corner.

donsimon
    Free Member

He’d happily argue that black is white. Leave him alone and let him froth happily in his corner.

It’s not even funny any more, which is quite sad.

yossarian
    Free Member

I dont find someone killing themselves tremendously funny actually. Gotta be a bit of a knut to get laughs from that.

Kevevs
    Free Member

has to be U2
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6Go2DK9VtQ[/video]

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

So as well as knowing everything about politics, power generation, and all manner of everything else, TJ is omniscient about guitar playing as well, I see.

In fairness, given your apparent ‘taste’ in music, you’re not exactly best placed to criticise…. 😆

Ken leeeeeeeeeeeeee, tulibu dubu douchou…

😆

It’s too much.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Has anyone said Van Halen yet?

Viewing 31 posts - 241 through 271 (of 271 total)

The topic ‘Most Over Rated Band In History.’ is closed to new replies.