Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 271 total)
  • Most Over Rated Band In History.
  • Elfinsafety
    Free Member

There’s Pop music where it’s done simply for the money and I believe there are genuine artists out there who do it for the love of music and not popular acclaim.

So you’re saying the VengaBoys din’t do it for the money, then? 😯

Plenty of people who ‘do it for the love of music and not popular acclaim’ are crap though. Which is why they never have much ‘success’.

And I personally know some very talented musicians, who only do it for the money.

And you can’t accuse Timmy Mallet of ever believing his music would make him an incredibly wealthy world-renowned megastar….

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

One of the most under-rated I think is the Kinks

I agree and I prefer them way more than the Beatles – always thought Davis was a far better wordsmith than he ever got credit for. I bloody hate “You really got me” though 😮

tazzymtb

hair metal

what is the genre of metal I appear to have missed it?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Ohhh another..

Status Quo “a boring song, dinky, dink, dinky dinky”

donsimon
    Free Member

So you’re saying the VengaBoys din’t do it for the money, then?

Maybe, I’d be more definite if I knew who they were/are! 😕

And I personally know some very talented musicians, who only do it for the money.

Does that actually mean that one side of their music ability is commercially successful and allows them to indulge themselves in other areas? I’m quite sure that the majority of people mentioned above are talented and do it for the money, just not artists.

And you can’t accuse Timmy Mallet of ever believing his music would make him an incredibly wealthy world-renowned megastar….

No, but with his talent he’s not doing too badly for a wouldbe shelf stacker at Tesco, is he?
    😀

tazzymtb

metallica

Red hot chilli peppers

nine inch nails

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

what is the genre of metal I appear to have missed it?

Also known as cock-rock.
    Examples;

All feature heavily on my playlists…! 8)

(Bonus point for naming all four….Without looking at image titles!)

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Double post edit

tazzymtb

hmmm seems to be almost crossing over into glam rock, which was a different beast all together.

I take it this is a lazy teminology used by townies and the like such as anyone in leather was a “sweaty” regardless of the subculture. 🙄

RichPenny
    Free Member

Anything at the centre of this handy venn diagram 8)

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Radiohead for me too. I just could never get them, and I used to like some right old 90s indie tat.

darrell
    Free Member

Rolling Stones
    Bob Dylan
    Duran Duran
    U2

Junkyard
    Free Member

Beatles is a pretty good shout. People forget they were a semi-‘manufactured’ boy baynd doing commercial pop music to begin with.

pretty sure thats just bollocks they formed themselves there was no manager who formed them…who do you mean?

Loads more talented, inventive and original stuff out there, the Beatles enjoyed success cos they were relatively ‘safe’ and undemanding.

Yes the drugs stuff was pretty safe as was bigger than jesus not to mention the outfits, and Sgt peppers was pretty derivative and not original. What about the videos?
    The rest of your post just repeated itself.

modern era U2 and Oasis for me

DD yeah for the Kinks hes got platic legs right up to his plastic bum

Some proper classics as well as some jokey stuff

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

The Beautiful South

carlosg
    Free Member

Guns ‘n’ Roses .

Never quite understood what all the fuss was about when they first started out in the mid 80’s even though I’ve been brought up on a diet of rock/metal my whole life.

Cougar

(Bonus point for naming all four….Without looking at image titles!)

I got the first two.

Y’know, I was reading this thread thinking, there’s nothing jumps immediately to mind, some suggestions are crap and some are just misinformed. I was getting behind Oasis, when someone mentioned:

AC/DC.

I don’t doubt they’re a decent band. But I simply do not get the adoration and idolisation they receive. They ‘headlined’ Donington a couple of years ago as the “biggest rock band in the world” and yeah, they were alright, but not even remotely worth the pomp and circumstance and disruption that surrounded their appearance. They wouldn’t allow anyone to put their name on festival merchandise (including programmes), at which point I think, get over yourselves.

mboy
    Free Member

Coldplay +1,000,000
    Radiohead post 1995
    Oasis post 1995
    The Beatles to an extent
    The Stone Roses apart from one or two songs, and I like Ian Brown’s solo stuff.

Anybody who has said The Rolling Stones, U2 or Queen does not have a clue about music!

molgrips
    Free Member

Bon Jovi etc.. hindsight is an interesting thing. Nowadays you can put a few tracks on a CD and it’s good fun, but back then it was everywhere all the time, along with all the lesser knock off bands clogging up the airwaves…

Radiohead are quality though. As were Queen, who were one of the very very few truly innovative bands. Their music is not like anything else, and no-one else can do anything like it.

If you understand how music and in particular pop music is created, you’ll appreciate Queen, the Kinks and possibly the Stones too.

DezB
    Free Member

All of the above

kayak23

Pink Floyd. Boring as hell and sound like rod, Jane and Freddy.

Aerosmith, schmaltzy blubbing crap of the highest order.

REM, dull, so dull…

Oasis, disappeared up their own butts a long, long time ago.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

pretty sure thats just bollocks they formed themselves there was no manager who formed them

Well, it was Epstein who ‘discovered’ then promoted them, and pushed them towards stardom (and no doubt loads of wonga for himself), not unlike yer Loius walsh/Simon Cahwell/S.A.W. etc. Notice I said ‘semi’ manufactured…

Yes the drugs stuff was pretty safe as was bigger than jesus not to mention the outfits, and Sgt peppers was pretty derivative and not original. What about the videos?

They followed whatever trend was ‘cool’ at the time; have a look around at artists and musicians during the Beatles time, and you will see where all their ‘influences’ came from. Anything the Beatles did, you can pretty much guarantee someone less famous had done it previously. The ‘bigger than Jesus’ thing barely raised an eyebrow here, it’s just that there were (and still are) a lot more reactionary people in the US. As for drugs; Keith Richards consumes more drugs in one year than all the Beatles put together during their entire careers… 😉

Pink Floyd

You are wrong of course, but I respect your right to be. 😉

tazzymtb

Aerosmith, schmaltzy blubbing crap of the highest order.

strange that when they started they were some of the most notorious coke fueled shag monsters of dirty rock n roll in christendom. They did not age well 😆

CountZero

+1 junkyard. The Beatles were already operating as The Quarrymen before they became The Beatles. A letter Paul wrote to a drummer who answered Paul’s advert for a drummer was signed ‘Paul McCartney and The Beatles’
    I think elfin’s mixing them up with The Monkees. Easy mistake to make, really.
    As far as the more talented people around at the time is concerned, the ones playing music that wasn’t ‘safe and undemanding’, well yes there were lots, like Cliff and The Shadows, Frank Ifield, Gerry And The Pacemakers, Billy J. Kramer and The Dakotas, Brian Poole and The Tremelos, John Leyton, Helen Shapiro, Frankie Vaughn, Danny Williams, Temperence Seven, Del Shannon, Cilla Black, Bachelors, Searchers…
    Wow, elfin, you’re right, the Beatles were so ‘safe and undemanding’ by comparison to such a bunch of raucous frothing lunatics! I mean, the nations youth were seriously at threat from Wayward Wind, by Frank Ifield, weren’t they. Please, elfin, enough of your Stalinist revisionist attempts to re-write music history just to fit your own music preferences.

deluded
    Free Member

Nothing more subjective than music but that ‘Madchester’ scene back in the 90’s was a huge pain in the balls.

Inspiral Carpets
    Stone Roses
    Happy Mondays
    James
    The Charlatans.

Parpping moaning unadulterated pish.

DezB
    Free Member

I’ve never read such rubbish in all me loif.
    Not that I read any of it.

Garry_Lager

Radiohead by a country mile in recent times. Class band but the critical fawning over them was orders of magnitude out of line. By Kid A it was emperors new clothes time.

emsz
    Free Member

have a look around at artists and musicians during the Beatles time, and you will see where all their ‘influences’ came from. Anything the Beatles did, you can pretty much guarantee someone less famous had done it previously.

really?

Go on then, this I have to see. 😆

godzilla
    Free Member

+ 1 4u2

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

really?

Go on then, this I have to see.

Listen to music of the 50s and early 60s, Rock n roll, Rhythm and Blues, Motown and that. The Beatles were heavily influenced by the music of Chuck Berry, Elvis, Little Richard, the Beach Boys, Buddy Holly and others. Later, you’ve got yer Pink Floyd who were an infinitely more talented bunch of musicians, doing some way more avant-garde stuff than the Beatles ever did. I’m sure I could play you stuff that you’d think ‘ooh that sounds a bit like the Beatles’, but then you’d discover it was done first…

Don’t get me wrong, I like the Beatles. Enjoy quite a number of their songs. But as mentioned earlier, they were very much in the ‘right place at the right time’.

I have no doubt as to their subsequent influence on other musicians, but I just think they’re overrated for what they actually were, which was a fairly commercial pop baynd who along with Epstein had a combined talent for making other peoples’ ideas popular….

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I love this revisionist bollocks Effin’s spouting. Funniest shite he’s come up with in ages. Where’s that flipping Yeovil shirt you thief.

daveb
    Free Member

Oasis

Got all the bands above but struggled with the last one a bit – probably because I didnt like them much 🙂

mikey74
    Free Member

Please don’t lump van halen in with the rest of the hair metal crap. The fact that they feature one of the most influential guitarists in history is, on it’s own, enough to set them apart.

I will partially agree with the Beatles suggestion, although i still think they were an inventive and original band. Alot of what they did was also incredibly derivative.

Junkyard
    Free Member

every music style /musician is influenced by what came before it but really elfin this is troll tastic

you will be telling us led zep were a semi manufactured boy band because of the role of their manager next.
    Neither myself or emsz were alive when the beatles split [ I nearly was] and we are a generation apart and yet we both like them — now that is a legacy few can compete with except Yeovil obviously
    Of those you mention , whilst the yoofs will know then I doubt anyone is a massive fayn

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I think noone overrates JLS quite as much as I do 🙂

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I forgot all about Led Zep. Them, what a load of tosh. Or maybe UB40, I’m not sure.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Muse are another one that everyone seems to love. They are, and always have been a pile of poo.

blooddonor
    Free Member

Boomtown rats & U2.

Cougar

Muse are another one that everyone seems to love. They are, and always have been a pile of poo.

I own no Muse albums and I’m not a huge fan. However, saying they’re overrated is lunacy; they are criminally underrated if anything. They’re technically superb.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Metallica???? Are you taking the piss??? How can they ever be considered as overrated? Pioneers of the whole thrash metal genre!!!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

AC/DC.
    I don’t doubt they’re a decent band. But I simply do not get the adoration and idolisation they receive. They ‘headlined’ Donington a couple of years ago as the “biggest rock band in the world” and yeah, they were alright, but not even remotely worth the pomp and circumstance and disruption that surrounded theirs pretty appearance. They wouldn’t allow anyone to put their name on festival merchandise (including programmes), at which point I think, get over yourselves.

Second best-selling album of all time ever (only Thriller sold more copies) is a pretty good claim to fame.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 271 total)

The topic ‘Most Over Rated Band In History.’ is closed to new replies.