Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Most important component
  • philjunior
    Free Member

Assuming that everything is reasonable quality, i.e. it works and doesn’t break too often, what do you reckon is the most important big of the bike?

I reckon tyres as they affect so much of how a bike behaves, I probably obsess over them more than anything else (and from the number of “what tyres for?” threads I’m not alone.). Anyone care to argue on a Friday afternoon?

perchypanther
    Free Member

The rider?

tthew

The beauty of a basic push bike is that there is really no components that are surplus to requirements, therefore your question is void, it’s all critical.

fasthaggis

The nut behind the bars

SaxonRider

Critical? Couldn’t say. But I do love tyres and wheels for combination of aesthetic and function.

That said, the more I look at rear derailleurs, and how precise and beautifully crafted they are, the more impressed I become.

lunge

Contact points are important, saddle, bars and pedals all make a big difference.

Tyres can make a big difference, crap tyres can make a bike feel very dull, as can crap, heavy wheels.

But then all this is irrelevant if you have a poor frame and forks.

But then, if you can’t stop safely it all falls apart anyway, so brakes are pretty damn important too.

You also need to go as well as stop, do a good drivechain can make a bike feel different.

So basically it’s all important.

Mister-P
    Free Member

The frame. If that’s wrong (or wrong for you at least) then no matter what else you change you will never be fully happy with the bike.

philjunior
    Free Member

perchypanther – Member
    The rider?

Hmmm, I regard myself as more than a mere component, but I would agree the rider is more important than the tyres (though the tyres are incredibly important).

chrishc777
    Free Member

If the question is if you could have a base spec bike with one top spec component what would it be? I’d say frame obviously, followed by wheels and tyres. Basic gears and brakes work well these days, forks are pretty decent but non tubeless narrow rimmed heavy wheels and hard compound tyres will ruin a bike

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Brakes, speed without being able to stop in a controlled and safe manor is mighty dangerous, as I found out just before Xmas 2013! 😉

bigyinn
    Free Member

Its got to be the saddle surely? If you cant get comfy you’re never going to enjoy or bond with the bike?

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

All my bikes are far greater than the sum of their individual parts.

philjunior
    Free Member

chrishc777 – Member
    If the question is if you could have a base spec bike with one top spec component what would it be? I’d say frame obviously, followed by wheels and tyres. Basic gears and brakes work well these days, forks are pretty decent but non tubeless narrow rimmed heavy wheels and hard compound tyres will ruin a bike

Yeah that’s the question I was really meaning. Obviously any one thing being utter crap will make a poor bike. I used to think frames, but they make up so little of the total mass of the bike that overall as long as it’s something reasonable and of the type you’re after (XC, trail, enduro, DH etc) it’s not that important.

saxabar
    Free Member

Surely the frame? As above, add-on bits are interchangeable but it’s the frame that provides angles and whatnot.

Smart answer, but definitely not the rider as a rider is not part of a bike.

pickle
    Free Member

Chain? without it you’re not going too far

perchypanther
    Free Member

definitely not the rider as a rider is not part of a bike.

You must be doing it wrong then 😉

saxabar
    Free Member

Probably, but rider+bike components needed for biker, not bike.

(Oddly, this is reminiscent of Bruno Latour’s philosophical musings about gunmen)

Northwind

Probably tyres, because nothing works with bad tyres. Everything else you can ride around as long as it’s basically fit.

philjunior – Member

Hmmm, I regard myself as more than a mere component

I regard myself as the worst component. Every so often I sell a bike so it can get it upgraded.

molgrips
    Free Member

Probably tyres, because nothing works with bad tyres

Disagree. You can have a great ride without doing anything muddy, or doing any gnarly downhills. If you aren’t doing either of those two things tyres don’t make much difference.

chiefgrooveguru

I regard myself as the worst component. Every so often I sell a bike so it can get it upgraded.

At last weekend’s enduro race I was gnarpooned to the max in the hardtail class. I still came second from last. Admittedly the times above me were pretty tight whilst the one person I beat was minutes behind but still, you can’t buy speed/skill/balls/fitness, which is annoying. 😉

jonba
    Free Member

Frame, it affects the nature of the bike through geometry. But if you already have the bike then yes, tyres isn’t a bad shout. Grip, speed, feel can all be altered with different treads and pressures.

My CX bike changes nature when I go from 28mm slicks to low pressure 32mm mud tyres.

andytherocketeer

Most critical is brakes.

Most important is a toss up between front mech and innertubes 😈

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

I think tthew nailed it. There’s so little (no) redundancy on a bicycle that every component’s important.

Saddles are important as without being comfortable you simply won’t enjoy the ride. Frames seem like the obvious choice but they can be ruined by shitty suspension or terrible tyres.

Assuming that a frame isn’t a component then I’d go for wheels. A light stiff wheel set transforms a bike more than anything else.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

I think tthew nailed it. There’s so little (no) redundancy on a bicycle that every component’s important.

Saddles are important as without being comfortable you simply won’t enjoy the ride. Frames seem like the obvious choice but they can be ruined by shitty suspension or terrible tyres.

Assuming that a frame isn’t a component then I’d go for wheels. A light stiff wheel set transforms a bike more than anything else.

botk
    Free Member

there’s very little on a bike that could be discarded and still leave the bike functioning. you could at least for a short while live without grips, a seat post and saddle, even brakes (killed a fair few trainers as a kid) but as mentioned pretty much every bit plays its part so whilst some parts may have a greater influence on the riding experience pretty much all are important.

Euro
    Free Member

Suspension and tyres. Be it bike, motorbike or a car. If it goes off road then suspension and tyres. Always. And forever. Amen.

molgrips
    Free Member

Only less important components are the mechs, cassette, gear cables, big ring and little ring. Everything else is important.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Errr….wheels?, you’re not getting far without ’em

Harry_the_Spider

Seat post bolt.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Most important component’ is closed to new replies.