Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Most Frightening towns to be a cyclist…
  • vancoughcough
    Free Member

I propose Reading, Berkshire.

meehaja
    Free Member

Bradford.

ton

agree with meehaja.
    especially Leeds Road.

Sancho
    Free Member

Bradford, but then they have amazing A&E so at least they have some plus points.

vancoughcough
    Free Member

I had my first ever meeting with a car yesterday.. bloody hell..

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Birmingham is pretty shite.

Sancho
    Free Member

did you take minutes or was it an informal meeting 😉

cfinnimore
    Free Member

Edinburgh.

Sancho
    Free Member

It’s rough out there, Ive been over more car bonnets than a cheap hooker.

imnotverygood

Kabul

razor1548
    Free Member

I don’t ride in cities very much. I once went from Kings Cross to Camden for a canal based bike ride. That was ****kin scary (the Kings Cross bit, not the canal). 🙂

yossarian
    Free Member

I was going to say Reading before I clicked!

🙂

The centre of High Wycombe at rush hour ain’t great either.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Paris. Too busy looking at the niceness…….of which there is much right now!

Velib’s not a patch on the Boris Bikes, mind you!

meehaja
    Free Member

Leeds road in Bradford was the only downhill part of my ride home for 18 months. Also the only part where I would never take my hands off the brakes!

Bradford may well have an amazing A&E, but since all of bradford are there to get their stubbed toes and 4 week colds sorted out it takes months to get seen.

cyclebiker

Baghdad.

Popocatapetl

Got to be the A6 running in to Stockport from the Peak district. If the HGVs don’t finish you off then the Nurses at “Stepping Hill” hospital will have you instead 😀

razor1548
    Free Member

Blatantly stealing from cyclebiker above, Sirte has to be a pretty nasty town to ride in right now.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Edinburgh is pretty bad on the roads, but there are hunners of ways to avoid the roads. And cycling is by far the quickest way to travel round the city.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

And cycling is by far the quickest way to travel round the city.

You mean it isn’t quicker to go by tram? 😉

vancoughcough
    Free Member

Man I am riding on the huge (at times) pavements.. the roads in Reading seriously freak me out. I’m a loooooooong time cyclist. I am not crap at it. A lot of avoidance now in my cycling..

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Kabul and Baghdad? You really think they’re worse than Bradford?! Bradford is bad enough to be in in a car or as a pedestrian. It’s a place where traffic lights, road markings and signs mean absolutely nothing. Plus it’s a hole. A proper hole.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

CFH – I think I could mine the ore, build a smelter by hand, go to uni and learn how to design and build bikes, take a 5 year break and still arrive at Gogar before the first tram.

uplink
    Free Member

without a doubt – from my experience – Naples

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

How about Dundee? Just for the fact that it’s Dundee and full of Dundonians.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

I don’t ride in cities very much. I once went from Kings Cross to Camden for a canal based bike ride. That was ****kin scary

Me and a mate went to London just to cycle round the place. It was great. A proper rush. 😯

stevemtb
    Free Member

I generally find Edinburgh very easy to cycle in and pretty bikist friendly.

Monaco on the other hand was insane. Trucks fighting bikes for a bike sized gap and having to stop every 10 seconds for traffic, get clipped in then stop again was pretty crazy.

druidh
    Free Member

Nowt wrong with Edinburgh for cycling in. Oldham though – that was a pain. I nominate Inverness, the city that indicators forgot.

senorj

I’m always extra vigilant in London village on a Friday.
    They all drive like nutters on a Friday!

Had a couple of frightening experiences when I decided to explore Hampstead Heath too!
    Is that a sausage? 😯

jackthedog
    Free Member

Venice can be a bit awkward.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

senor j, that’s what happens when you venture North of the Parks….

😉

NikNak7890
    Free Member

London town …or wider, Surrey 😐

smell_it
    Free Member

Rome has been the worst place for me, cycle commuter there for 6 months enjoying their rush hour traffic twice daily. Made coming back to manchester seem sedate, well apart from the weather. Had year in new york and that could be a bit lively in rush hour to.

LadyGresley
    Free Member

Another vote for Edinburgh here – the bus drivers seem unable to actually see cyclists – I’ve been forced onto the pavement every time I ride there – and, yes, I do know what I’m doing, I’m a cycle instructor.

senorj

that’s what happens when you venture North of the Parks…

Indeed.

TheFlyingOx

Sheffield, for two reasons:
    1) tramlines,
    2) everywhere is uphill, regardless of where it is,
    3) the crappest road surfaces in the UK.

Edinburgh is not far behind Sheffield in all of these respects.

sambob
    Free Member

Never ridden it, but the A6 from Stockport to High Lane is awful, fast but really busy, and loads of trucks.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Anywhere with a bendy bus. Those things are an absolute menace and seem to be driven by psychopaths.

porter_jamie

crays hill

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Edinburgh apparently has a high number of cyclist deaths in recent years. Dunno why this should be so.

imnotverygood

^ didnt we have a spate of left hooks? But on the whole I think Edinburgh is OK. I thought Morcambe was pretty bad & I’ve only cycled through it once.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Most Frightening towns to be a cyclist…’ is closed to new replies.