• This topic has 108 replies, 98 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by kcr.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 109 total)
  • Most Famous Person You Met While Riding
  • andyg1966

I’ll start …

Today bumped into Mark Owen From Take That…

Kryton57

Stannard and Dowsett.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Rhodri Morgan (RIP) he used to live near me I suppose would be the most mainstream ‘famous’ type.

Other than that a handful of Pro riders over the years in the Alps or Whistler.

Was Mark Owen riding?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Iainc

LordSummerisle
    Free Member

Joe Burt

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Dimbleby and his badly behaved dogs.

andyg1966

Was Mark Owen riding?

Nope …

Drac

Which one is he?

Caher

Yesterday whilst riding past Althorp House some big black cars and motorcade passed me…no idea who that would have been.

hofnar
    Free Member

Joan LLaneras whilst having a coffe on a ride a couple off days before he became world champion again in front of his home crowd.

Vinokourov who got saved by a mate a couple of days later from beiing roobed or stabbed as he was cycling straight into a very rough area. Missed Mario Cippolini though sadly the same week apparently by a couple of minutes.

Frederic Kessiakoff decided to come and do one of our small local races one day as well.

Kryton57

Caher – That would have been CaptainFlasheart.

plop_pants
    Free Member

Rode with Thierry Marie some years ago. More recently ridden with CX National Champ Ian Field and Simon Cope (ok, some may think more infamous than otherwise but he’s alright by me)

pistonbroke
    Free Member

BITD I was up in the hills S of Machynlleth, had to stop to open a couple of gates in a farm yard so was pushing the bike. Sat in the farmhouse garden was a bloke who definitely didn’t look like a farmer, very lived in face and long curly hair. Had the usual chat about where I’d been riding, the weather etc. Couple of weeks later I’m watching telly and there’s something on about Led Zep, recognised the chap as Jimmy Page, doh!

munkster
    Free Member

The Queen pulled her Range Rover onto the grass verge to let me past on a single track road whilst riding between Sandringham and Anmer last summer.

RustySpanner

Chipps.
    Not that famous, but needs must when the Devil vomits in your kettle, as my gran never used to say.

Oh, I’ve ridden past Flashy’s country residence, I think.

Kuco

Similar to Caher, many moons ago riding towards Althorp main entrance carrying a bit of speed from the small downhill before the entrance and a sports car pulls straight out infront of me followed by a big 4×4, had to brake for the 4×4. First reaction was to shout **** then it dawned on me who it was in the sports car and the people in the 4×4 were the sort not to upset.

ourmaninthenorth

Chris Boardman on the Etape in 2009 – brief exchange of words early on (I was in my Manchester Wheelers kit – that has his amateur team).

Bradley Wiggins – I was going one way. He was going the other to join in the Bickerstaffe midweek chain gang. He was riding the 2011 TdF a couple of weeks later…

Various other Olympians when I used to ride the track at Manchester.

Bloody hell I miss riding a bike.

Trekster

Chips, Dave & Sanshoe Sanny off here 😉
    Chris Chance of Fat Chance bikes
    Mike Bonny, Orange bikes
    Steve Wade, Orange bikes
    Been photographed by Andy McAndlish a few times

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

😆

I met Cinnamon Girl in a lay by in rural Hampshire a while back. *swoons*

deadkenny
    Free Member

Some bike celebs people have pointed out in some places I’ve been, but I’m hopeless at recognising people. Okay, there’s Brendog and crew, but they’re regulars round my haunts.

Wiggo and the like I’ve had riding past my house, but that was Tour of Britain.

munkster – Member 
    The Queen pulled her Range Rover onto the grass verge to let me past on a single track road whilst riding between Sandringham and Anmer last summer.

Had her charging past me in Windsor Great park with Phil (she was driving), but I wasn’t on the bike.

markrh
    Free Member

Years ago I bumped into Mark Weber in the pits Mountain Mayhem, talked about trail conditions and stuff. I felt all F1 after. I didn’t go any quicker though 😀

redthunder
    Free Member

Dr Who

Peter Capaldi

MrSmith
    Free Member

Hora

SaxonRider

Rhodri Morgan (RIP) he used to live near me

I think you’re my neighbour, P-Jay.

As for me, though, there is a ‘Luke Rowe’ that rides many of the same segments that I do on Strava. I doubt it’s the same Luke Rowe, but I like to humour myself.

tomhoward

Binners

andytherocketeer

Emmeline Ragot

edhornby

Me and the 2yo (in a baby seat) tried to race two lads with all the flash kit on…. It was Adam and Simon Yates.

Northwind

Only bike people, doesn’t really count does it? It’s like Lars Ulrich being excited because he met James Hetfield again

Stoner
    Free Member

Pete Postlethwaite at the foot of Minton Batch, Long Mynd.
    Boris Johnson on Hyde Park Corner

Harry_the_Spider

Binners.

anagallis_arvensis

That lanky yank fella with a 29er bike (like that’ll ever catch on!!) at MM in Sandwell.

transporter13
    Free Member

Met Jo whiley whilst playing around in the woburn jumps area.. I think she and family had got lost whilst out walking and ended up on the tracks

project
    Free Member

Chris Boardman,

quite a few of the extended Bikemagic Family.

donks
    Free Member

When I worked at Gatwick probably too many to remember but I did sit next to Oli reed in the Shakespeare inn whilst England played Scotland in the 96 euros.

Ben_H

Steve Worland… RIP.

donks
    Free Member

Oh that reminds me

Met Jo whiley whilst playing around in the woburn jumps area.. I think she and family had got lost whilst out walking and ended up on the tracks

Also met Jo as she lives in Pottersbury just down the road and my old electrical firm installed loads of lights for her.

Also mark Webber in Woburn several times when he raced for Redbull in MK.

H1ghland3r
    Free Member

Not while riding but riding related.. I services Gavin Hastings’ bike when I was a mechanic in an Edinburgh bike shop many years ago.. Long enough ago that he was still playing.!

Bregante

Rachel and Dan Atherton at a commencal demo day about ten years ago. Jonny Vegas did an angry overtake* on us during the Manchester 100 two years ago – only to sheepishly have to do a 3 point turn a mile down the road when he realised he was going the wrong way!

Nearly mowed down a pissed Andy Kershaw coming out of a pub in Todmorden at the end of an MNPR once too.

HtS, Rusty Spanner, Binners, Chipps, hora and ton 🙂

*In case you were wondering, he was in his car.

zippykona

The Australian prime minister.
    He was in his car though.

munkster
    Free Member

munkster – Member

Had her charging past me in Windsor Great park with Phil (she was driving), but I wasn’t on the bike.

She must’ve been on a speed awareness course then because I had a “this is going to be tricky” thought as the RR approached, then she pulled over in plenty of time, I waved to say thanks, clocked Her Madge with her headscarf on at the wheel, jaw slackened off as I realised, Mrs M didn’t believe me.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 109 total)

The topic ‘Most Famous Person You Met While Riding’ is closed to new replies.