Viewing 11 posts - 81 through 91 (of 91 total)
  • Most economical petrol cars
  • winston
    Free Member

My wife constantly gets over 65mpg in our Auris (hybrid) estate on a 50 mile round trip commute. This is over 40-50 mph roads though. Its much worse on motorways

500 litre boot and proper roofrails for a rack – I think it looks better than a Prius, especially in white with the pano roof like ours! Not so keen on the facelift though

popstar
    Free Member

My bad Molgrips, didn’t check facts properly … reviews say e-class is in 0.23 category :0

Link

Those new Prius+ cars are almost as big as Galaxies. Perfect family cars for green* minded people.

deejayen
    Free Member

Just to follow up, I’ve now used a tank of petrol and filled up.

The trip computer was saying 55.4mpg average for the tank, but the actual figure is 48.98mpg – it’s still pretty good, but, as expected, the trip computer is optimistic.

I might be able to break a real 50npg in the summer, but for the next tank I’ll drive at normal (faster) speeds and see what the fuel consumption drops to.

I bet the diesel Yaris is pretty frugal…

molgrips
    Free Member

That e-class is impressive indeed.

There’s a hybrid petrol Passat now, GTE I think. Fast, 30 mile electric range, but only 50 ish mpg and it costs forty grand!

matt_outandabout

Oscillate Wildly – Member
    focus 1.0i 125ps – 1….45.6 mpg
    focus 1.5tdci 120ps before – ….61.2mpg
    focus st 2.0tdci …. 51.5mpg

eejayen – Member

The trip computer says 55.4mpg … actual figure is 48.98mpg

My Ford also lies to me (worse than the VW before).

Galaxy *claims* 49ish on long trips and 38ish around town. More like 44ish and 30ish in real calculations.

Nico
    Free Member

I remember the first time cd was mentioned in advertising. It was the Audi 100 which managed .30 and was supposed to be pretty special. As I understand it the easiest way to up the cd is to make the car longer so a short car with a low cd is more of an achievement.

There seem to be a lot of diesels being listed here, and a lot of mention of “official figures”. Can we all agree that test fuel consumption figures are a guide for comparison, not something you expect to match in the real world. Once you set standardised tests you are going to get manufacturers targetting those tests.

There was an interesting conversation on Radio 4 a short while ago when some body (NICE?) suggested binning road humps. Meters fixed to a car showed massive spikes in emissions when slowing down and accelerating over the humps. Automatic cars could reduce fuel consumption and emissions by not programming an angry dad mode into the system.

molgrips
    Free Member

20mph limits would remove the need for speed bumps, and save loads of fuel in the process.

Just need a more effective way of enforcing them. Also a 20mph button on your steering wheel would make it nice and easy to stick to.

legend
    Free Member

2005 Clio 182 2.0l Normal Aspirated – 37mpg over 20,000 miles

2015 Fiesta ST 1.6l Turbo – 39.5mpg over 7,000 miles

#progress

Sundayjumper

Seeing as we’e including diesels now: 2001 BMW Compact 320td. Routinely does mid-fifties mpg for a week’s commuting up & down the M3. Has just about managed 60mpg on a couple of occasions when the weather’s good and the traffic quiet.

That’s based on brimming it every Friday and doing the calc myself. The OBC is wildly inaccurate, it normally shows 80+ and has sometimes shown over 90 for the week !

aP
    Free Member

Continuing the diesel interjections….
    My C220d estate at the last fill-up returned 55.16mpg based on miles against fuel used on brim-to-brim filling. I’ve only had it for 8 weeks, but have done about 2,300 miles in it, sighs. The on board was reading 60mpg yesterday evening as I was returning from Bath, but I think its about 2-3mpg optimistic.

allan23
    Free Member

Peugeot 208 1.2VTI petrol is getting me around 50mpg, drops to upper 40s if I’m a bit heavy footed, goes up to lower 50s on longer steady trips.

Checked the on screen value with real figures for a bit and the display is about 1 or 2 mpg high.

Any motor trade people know how the computers work for MPG?

I had been advised that brimming the tank confuses them into giving higher readings as there is only a full sensor level, if you brim the car then the tank remains at full for a while, skewing the figures.

One of those kind of makes sense but I don’t quite believe it statements, person who told me is generally reliable but not a car person so could be BS.

Viewing 11 posts - 81 through 91 (of 91 total)

The topic ‘Most economical petrol cars’ is closed to new replies.