• This topic has 32 replies, 28 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by P-Jay.
Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Most complex email addresses?
  • matt_outandabout

Up in Scotland, many teachers are being migrated onto an email system connected to GLOW, our professional sharing platform.
    However, the email addresses they are being issued with are becoming silly…

For example, I have just been given the following by a teacher:

gw11surnamefirstname12@glow.localauthorityname.sch.gov.uk

Anyone else got similar?

tiggs121
    Free Member

my Glow is similar to that.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Once had a candidate apply for a job with the email address littlemissgstring69@serviceprovider

Much though I wanted to interview her, her experience* was lacking.

*work related experience, obviously.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

I see a lot of email addresses pass through the shop and even some of the folks who own them struggle to remember them.

matt_outandabout

my Glow is similar to that.

Did you just book on an outdoor learning course? 😆

simmy
    Free Member

Teaching young people, I’ve been given various E Mail addresses when I’ve signed the students up to online learning.

Highlights I can remember

mainmon1996@ ( if you are not northern, it means the ultimate person )

Livinglegend@

Slippysarah@

These people wonder why they struggle to find work 🙄

colournoise

Mine isn’t complex, but it throws a lot of people and triggers quite a few spam filters. It’s also a nightmare to give to people verbally.

rrrooobbbppp@…

matt_outandabout

These people wonder why they struggle to find work

I have had a few like that, when I worked at the outdoor centre.

I still have risqué ones with the teachers at times… 😯

km79
    Free Member

littlemissgstring69@serviceprovider

You got the rest of that email address? I could have a job for her.

Alphabet

Many years ago I set up the following for a company whose MD insisted it couldn’t be shorter:

firstname.surname@main-selling-brand-the-comapny-name-ltd.co.uk

Many years later they had me shorten it to just their company name without the ltd bit and without all the hyphens.

poly
    Free Member

matt – do you try to remember them all? Presumably Glow or whatever you use for managing contacts has some sort of address book? there may actually be an advantage – knowing that the only way to find “Mrs Jones” is to look up the right address stops you sending a message to the wrong person with a similar name.

legend
    Free Member

MOD email addresses, relating to the position rather than the person – nothing worse!

matt_outandabout

matt – do you try to remember them all?

I have spreadsheets for that – over 300 teachers this year enquiring or on courses.
    Then set up a group in outlook for each course.
    And then they move authority…..

tiggs121
    Free Member

Did you just book on an outdoor learning course?

Nah – sadly I’m stuck inside. Who wants to go paddling or climbing or biking when you can be teaching Op-Amps and Transistors??

gwaelod
    Free Member

Mod role based email addresses are long, but invaluable when staff rotate in and out of roles.

Northwind

It’s not that complex but I’ll never forgive the person who set up our main work email edu.liaison- nobody puts the second i in liaison. No idea how much mail we lose from that but apparently there’s no business need to set up a second account or redirect.

simondbarnes

It’s not that complex but I’ll never forgive the person who set up our main work email edu.liaison- nobody puts the second i in liaison

Huh? Nobody can spell?

birky
    Free Member

Once had a candidate apply for a job with the email address littlemissgstring69@serviceprovider

Had similar here, sexysuzy69@whatever

deadkenny
    Free Member

Haven’t lived unless you’ve used UUCP email addresses.

department!router!department2!router!server1!server2!user

or something like that. I forget it now. Basically there was no DNS routing, you had to specify each hop the mail took.

VMS addresses could be lengthy too.

giantalkali
    Free Member

Cumoverme1975@ blah blah blah

Mate’s email that I only spotted when he accidentally sent Tom that and not his work address via his phone

Lols

Bregante

A contact I met many times through work once had to send me an urgent email from his personal account whilst he was on holiday. It started kinkylikeagimp@….

fisha
    Free Member

My wife’s glow address is equally confusing. Only education could make something so simple so bloody complex.

It should be

forename.surname@school.town.authority.gov.uk.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

They were going to do full name/staffnumber/departmentnumber/division@stupid company.com at one place i contracted. Poor sods with double barrelled sirnames would have gone into meltdown. (8 digit staff numbers, 12 digit department numbers, longest division title was 6 words IIRC.

I heard that that IT architect bloke who was going to lead the implementation was a bit sarcastic.

Ended up with firstname.lastname@company.com

nickc

like the local authority emails others have mentioned, I have to deal with the NHS, many of the GP have a code identifier, so they end up with

name.name22@g-8765483.practice name.nhs.localCCG.net

it can be a bit frustrating at times. 🙄

MSP

You just want to try working with a load of Spanish people, they have lots of names and expect to use them, no truncating down to first name last name for those blighters.

olddog

Hhmmmm

nickc

odddog, indeed, I’ve got one just like that…

GP practices, some of them have email addresses from the dawn of time, and are loathe to change 😆

Cougar

Friend of mine’s wife has an address of firstnamebjbabe@provider.

maccruiskeen

You just want to try working with a load of Spanish people, they have lots of names and expect to use them, no truncating down to first name last name for those blighters.

Or gaelic arts organisations who put the full gaelic name of their venue as the URL and then put their own full gaelic-ified name as their email address. Their address ends up looking like an explosion in a letraset factory. They then spend quite a lot of time having to dictate that over the phone.

When I started my business I decided it didn’t matter what the URL was so long as it was short – www. [three randomly selected characters].co.uk

jimmy

You got the rest of that email address? I could have a job for her.

Just guess a few providers, you’ll hit it with one or more. In fact…

ajantom

I knew a bloke whose email (given out professionally natch) was stinkyfatpissf*ck@bigprovider.com. Admittedly he worked in Thailand, but still!

sockpuppet

Saw the this one posted in the new scientist a few years ago:

dotat.atdot@dotat.at

Try giving that over the phone…

P-Jay
    Free Member

My work one is pj@shortcompanyname.co.uk easy peasy.

Few of my mates work for the same place and are stuck with first.second@longcompanyname.oftenmispeltword.com they want to migrate to initials@3letters.co.uk by they’re too tight to pay my employer a discounted rate to migrate them to 365 on their name domain – so they’re going to do it themselves “between jobs” – 2 years and counting 😉

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Most complex email addresses?’ is closed to new replies.