Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Most comfortable sleepmat
  • simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

For use mostly can camping but will need carrying across festival sites so not a full air bed.

Currently have some 15 year old luxury Thermarests. Looking at alpkit Duma – is there anything better?

footflaps
    moose
    Free Member

I swear by these for work.

Klymit Mats

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

7.5 Vango comfort self-inflator topped off with a few puffs of breath. Luxury.

Like this

sweepy
    Free Member

Without very good reason i’d stick with the thermarests

whatgoesup

10CM Vango jobbie – very very comfortable – better than many actual beds I’ve slept on.

At GBP80 and almost 7KG for a double it should be though. Great for car camping but I would not want to carry it anywhere…

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/comfort-10-double-mattress-17-id_8394233.html

nickdavies

Exped, I bought the downmat 7 a couple of years ago to live off for a few months and it’s way better than my old thermarest. Warm, comfy, not too light but fine for car camping and importantly for me it’s actually sized properly so feet and head are on the mat. I wouldn’t have spent the money had it not been for a long period as they’re not cheap but I’m pleased with it.

gowerboy

I have used Eped Synmat 7 UL for a few years. They are very comfy and warm. But one baffle went and that ruined the mat. They honoured the out of date warranty and gave our cash back.

I decided to try a Thermorest Neoair Allseason. I haven’t used it yet but it seems very good.

The main thing is that the lightweight air beds can be cold if not insulated. The insulated ones are very comfy and warm.

somafunk

I after something similar for myself and have been considering the Alpkit Dozer sleeping mat, anyone got/had experience of it?.

wwpaddler
    Free Member

What’s wrong with the luxury thermarests you currently have?

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Not thick enough or wide enough.

Alpkit Dozer blurb says it’s their most comfortable but the Dumo is thicker.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

That Dozer looks identical to the Vango 7.5. More expensive, but I’d guess just as as comfortable 😉

Can’t think why more than 7.5 would be be useful/necessary, I slept on the Vango nightly as a main bed for over a year and it really was more comfortable than my regular ortho-mattress (Sealy). Go any thicker and you have a hell of large roll to lug about.

BFITH
    Free Member

We have a couple of dozers and a couple of their predecessors (fat Eric?)…. Been really comfy, especially the dozers. Bit bulky but worth it if you’re? car camping etc

slowoldman

Exped, I bought the downmat

+1
    Bit of a pain to inflate with its “pump” but very warm and comfy.

whitestone
    Free Member

The stock answer to this is either one of the Exped mats or the Thermarest NeoAir range. Neither are cheap which might be a problem regarding festival usage, that’s your call. In the time honoured fashion I’ll recommend the Exped Winterlite Synmat since it’s what I’ve got, my wife has the Hyperlite. They pack down to the size of a 500ml water bottle. If you get an Exped mat then get the Schnozzle inflator bag as well – the Downmats come with one but I’m not sure that the Synmats do, they didn’t when I got mine. I find it takes about three bags of air to inflate the mat. I’ve not used one of the mats with a built in pump.

I’ve had a baffle go on a Synmat (replaced under warranty), the trick is to fully inflate them then let a little air out. This takes a bit of pressure off the internal welded seams. They do feel like you are perched on top of them if you don’t do this so it improves the comfort a bit as well.

kcal

I still have some kind of Z-rest thermarest, it’s remarkably comfy and a lot less likely to be damaged than airbed. Worth a look — c. £36

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Thermarest-Therm-a-Rest-Z-Lite-SOL-Mattress/dp/B00453NA1E?th=1&psc=1

bodgy
    Free Member

+1 for the Exped Megamat 10’s. One of the best night’s sleep I’ve had. Bulky, take a while to self inflate, but brilliantly comfy.

We’ve got two, which we connect with their Universal coupler kit, which turns it into a (near enough) king size bed. Combined with a mattress topper and a fitted sheet they are ACE!. The advantage of joining two (as opposed to a double) is that Mrs B doesn’t get flung into the air when I lie down – I’m almost twice as heavy as she is.

Needless to say, this is for our BYO glamping bell tent rig, rather than backpacking.

CountZero

I’ve got a 10cm self inflating mat, that can be inflated quite a bit more with a few big puffs, can’t remember the make, but mine was an end-of-line anyway, cost me £17 instead of £70, and the extra thickness that it gives makes a huge difference as regards comfort and insulation.
    It is heavy, but fine for camping close to the car, or at a festival, where you can just strap it to a large-ish trolley then wrap cling film around everything to keep it all steady.
    I camped down in Devon for nine nights using it in October, with a £19 Aldi sleeping bag, and I was perfectly comfy, really nice and toasty, so I’d replace it with something as close in thickness as possible if it got damaged, it’s only let-down, (ha!) is that it’s only a single.
    But it was bloody cheap!

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

The Vango mats from Decathlon look a comfort bargain but what do they make them out of?
    https://www.decathlon.co.uk/comfort-10-grande-mattress-id_8368158.html

3.8kg?!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Most comfortable sleepmat’ is closed to new replies.