Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Most challenging trail in the Tweed valley
  • fergal
    Free Member

Well apart from Spooky wood, that’s a given. nominations please and remember since the valley became a world cycling mecca, there really are no “secret trails”, it’s all just for the cycling community and the greater good.

euans2
    Free Member

IMO it has to be Pro Spacker at inners

BoardinBob

Pro-Spacker is definitely up there. The new one at Caberston is supposed to be nuts.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Caddon bank 😉

jedi

pro spaker is just a bit steep etc. broon troot is better/harder to ride smoothly

fergal
    Free Member

Good insight monsieur Jedi, did broon troot at the weekend, a tad greasy and bloomin awkward.

BoardinBob

a bit steep

A bit? It’s a -30% gradient!

fergal
    Free Member

Still haven’t got my finger out and got over to prospacker, maybe it’s time for some brave pills, what could possibly go wrong!.

Northwind

Prospacker’s not that hard. That’s not willy waving, I’m not that good ergo, it can’t be that hard 😆 Suppose it depends on the rider a lot but prespacker is harder imo, especially in the wet.

I suck at ruts so for me it’s probably the top of lone wolf at the moment, it’s just one enormous panicky unpleasant near-crash. I’d avoid it entirely if I could. But there’s tons of stuff I don’t know so probably it’s some other thing I’ve not ridden.

legend
    Free Member

Original entrance to Boner. The rest is alright, but that section always has me questioning if I’ll get out alive.

Broon Troot harder than Pro Spacker? I know you can do no wrong on this forum, but what were you smoking that made you think that?

goodgrief
    Free Member

Depends on the conditions although I find Avalanche horrible no matter what. I imagine No Social in the wet would need mud spikes and a whole lot of commitment. It’s steeper than Prospacker with tighter corners.

fergal
    Free Member

I wasn’t that impressed with Boner, steep – but was really rutted in the spring, looked like it is de riguer to ride with mud spikes in the winter, plus the bottom is blocked with windfall.

BoardinBob

Community Service terrified me the one and only time I did it. My riding’s improved since then so I’ll need to re-visit it. Aussie Rules wasn’t pleasant in the wet.

pigyn
    Free Member

No social in the wet is going to be interesting. Yes.

Most challenging trail? Getting up to no social/FTP!

fergal
    Free Member

Bob i had a look down that in the wet on foot, the crux looked like a switchback with a big tree root, have been intending to go back sometime.

PS. Aussie rules

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Aussie Rules is the one I’ve been struggling to get down and set a decent time, always something to throw you off line/stall you.

Need to explore moar as I don’t recognise some of these names.

Although I was up at Caberston a couple of months back and found some old skool trails I’d forgotten existed, it’s weird thinking you’re riding a new trail to realise half way down it you know it quite well…

legend
    Free Member

For the record, spikes are cheating.

onehundredthidiot

Double Decker.

fergal
    Free Member

spread the love, where is dat.

goodgrief
    Free Member

DD is at Yair, really good but not up there on the near-death scale.

fergal
    Free Member

Oh right, is it easy to find the stuff at Yair, i drive past there regularly, park near the bridge I presume?.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Third trail on the right after the fire road at Inners. End of thread.

goodgrief
    Free Member

fergal, there’s a few different ways to do it but I prefer to park near the Galashiels roundabout. Basically get yourself up to 3B and head down the quarry descent or go down the SU Way towards Inners a little and seek out Ginger Mullet.

br
    Free Member

Most challenging as in steepest/lethal-ist, or the one where you aim to take the best most rightest/smoothest line?

If the former, one of the Caberston or Thornilee trails after a weeks downpour.

For the latter I do like Ginger Mullet, although short, it does reward a good line, and DD is settling in nicely and has a bit of everything.

Although either of the two long trails off Cairn Hill have to be worth a shout.

bspoked
    Free Member

How about the Sustrans between Peebles and Innerleithen, next to the river, when the midge are biting?

I feared for my life.

onehundredthidiot

being more xc than dh, challenging is about keeping you on your toes with flow and interest, not necessarily steepest/most likely to kill you.

chickenman

Mr Cunningham’s line at Yair?
    The original finish to Jawbone
    The proper line round the tree on Aussie Rules; not the short cut!
    Boner great fun (not too rutted now and clear at the bottom.

I think folk should find the Yair and Thornylee trails themselves IMO.

pigyn
    Free Member

Oh yeah Thornylee… that one that’s like pro spacker but covered in rocks. Slippy, slippy wet rocks.

bigjim

broon troot is better/harder to ride smoothly

not sure if it was, but broon troot now runs super smooth after some work

goodgrief
    Free Member

Rode a handful of Golfie trails this morning, conditions were mostly fantastic! Aussie Rules was probably the toughest top to bottom because it feels like a trail that could be so fast but the dirt has been washed away leaving greasy rocks and tight corners that don’t allow such high speeds. Lone Wolf gave me the usual problems in the ruts at the top, incredible lower down though. Walk or Burn was bone dry, never felt as pinned before but pissed to find strava hadn’t picked it up!

fergal
    Free Member

Good to hear, heading over tomorrow, starting with 3G, hoping there is still life in the trail after the EWS.

Diane
    Free Member

The trails are fine. Nice and dry up there today.

Challenging – that wood further down the road 😯

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Get up Golden Owl and Shirleys if you think Golfie trails are hard.

fergal
    Free Member

Rode pro spacker the other day, wowzer, good clean run to, having walked it a few years ago in the rain, I decided just to drop in, so I didn’t over analyze, surprisingly it went well. Looking for some new challenges, anyone know anything about the trail New york New York at the golfie.

PS. Oh and Lone wolf sounds interesting, is it reet bo?

Northwind

Prospacker goes surprisingly well in the wet too- lovely surface to it.

Lone Wolf is another golfie trail, parallel to 3G more or less, just further up the hill… Bottom bit is mint (fun roots), middle bit is pretty nice (fast, nonsteep woodsy singletrack), top bit is just a royal pain in the arse if you’re me and you can’t do ruts. Nice trail

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Ive historically struggled with ruts but have been forcing a relaxed stance and getting much better. Bend the knees and elbows and wobble your limbs about to make them as loose as possible, and don’t ride too slow. Tbe ruts at the top of lone wolf are actually pretty decent and smooth to ride when you get the hang of them. It’s an ace trail. New york new york is a woop fest, very hard on the thighs. Neither are very steep or challenging in a technical sense relative to others in the area.

chickenman

New York, New York (called Pussy Riot but the name didn’t stick) built by someone who likes to mince slowly down things so built it really tight to annoy fast buggers. He was then surprised to find some of the sponsored riders doing timed laps on it!
    Part 2 is more of the same except with a bridge and tree stump.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

A jump and a pair of nice berms too 😉

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Most challenging trail in the Tweed valley’ is closed to new replies.