Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Most basic Garmin suitable for cycling?
  • chrispo
    Free Member

Sadly my old Forerunner 305 has died.

All I want from the replacement is:

1. Ability to upload GPS to Garmin Connect/Strava
    2. See from the screen what time it is and how far I’ve been

Looking for something second-hand and cheap. Not sure if the really basic watches will do this – or if the battery lasts long enough (8 hours would be good) – any experience/advice please?

nemesis
    Free Member

An Etrex H will do this and you can get them for not a lot on ebay.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Aside from the battery requirement you can do this with your smart phone. FYI smartphone will last longer if you turn off uploads as you ride, so just upload track at the end instead of constantly.

nemesis
    Free Member

There’s a whole thread on that. 🙂

You won’t get 8 hrs though.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/home-made-gps-with-mapping-and-tracking

TiRed

Edge 200, although the time of day is a little obtuse to find om the home screen (and small!). Used will be about £50.

kimbers

ive got an old foreunner 205, which does all that battery life is very good- 10 hours, however the memory is too small, even with the smart recording option youll struggle to get 8hr in there, hopefully newer ones have more memory

fwiw sportspursuit some on sale at the moment….

jambalaya
    Free Member

As @nemesis says buy something second hand, I have an old Garmin Map handheld (7 years old now, works perfectly), I am sure you could pickup similar second hand for £50-ish

stumpy01

Edge 200?

cinnamon_girl

I notice that some models state they’re easy to read in bright sunlight so that’s certainly an improvement on my old Etrex.

Do you want to follow a pre-planned route by using mapping software?
    Etrex screens are small compared to the Edge models.

I keep dithering about replacing mine as the screen is cracked and struggle to read it as text is feint. Also it’s not keen on dense woodland. Trouble is I couldn’t bear to pay hundreds of Pounds!

mattrgee
    Free Member

Be careful with the Edge 200. The sampling rate can’t be altered and therefore ‘automatically’ decides when to take a GPS reading. I found that after uploading data to Strava that some segments were missed as it wasn’t checking my position frequently enough.

MoreCashThanDash

My Edge 200 has been great. I don’t care about HR or other training data, I don’t do Strava, does all I need.

But I quite like the look of tbe 800 touring.

chrispo
    Free Member

Thanks for all your suggestions. Still unsure which model does exactly what and whether it does it adquately, so I copped out and bought another second-hand Forerunner 305 on Ebay the same as the old one, at least I know what to expect 🙂

the_lecht_rocks

bryton rider 40e on CRC for £75. strava linking may be an issue.

GrahamS

You won’t get 8 hrs though.

You’ll get way more than eight hours from a smartphone if you hook it to an external battery pack.

For long all day trips I mount my phone on the bars and have a very short lead running to a battery pack in the side pocket of a tri bag. Works very well.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Most basic Garmin suitable for cycling?’ is closed to new replies.