Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Morzine trip, thoughts and musings… Do i , don't i…
  • weeksy

Not sure how much i’m looking for actual answers here.. or not really.

We’ve been over a few times to Morzine for PPDS, this year i went over with some STWers and had a cracking day out…

So we’ve planned a 2017 trip, i’ve booked accomodation with a £250 deposit. But i’m now sitting here having doubts about it. I’m not sure if it’s down to my recent crash at Chicksands, or down to Morzine itself.

Trouble is, i feel like i’m not ‘riding’ the trails to a great extent. I’m more doing Trials on them and bumbling my way somehow to the bottom, often taking the chicken lines, but also squashing the potential jumps due to lack of ability/knowledge.

If i go to somewhere i know better, my jumping isn’t terrible, i’ve been Jedi’d once and am likely to do so again, so i’m not sure it’s completely down to lack of ability.

So i feel due to ineptitude i’m not really getting the most out of the trails there, i’m holding the fun back by my lack of skills… it’s all making me think “is it really worth it just to scramble my way down hanging on for grim life”…

Thoughts appreciated though

nickjb
    Free Member

We go to Morzine and keep going back because it’s fun. No need to push yourself for technical challenges every day. Just ride a green flat out or bimble down a blue if you fancy. If you do like a bit of jumping the new stuff at Chatel bike park is great. Really flowy and you can easily keep your wheels on the ground or do a little hop or send it flying. No need for chicken lines. The PdS a massive area with something for everyone. You just need to get put there and find the bits that suit you. We still find new stuff every year

dantsw13

I hear you Weeksy. After a big crash in Les Gets a few years back I tend to keep wheels on the ground these days, but still find it fun. I prefer a technical challenge to “Park” runs these days, and found Les Arcs more to my liking this year. Jumping is such a small part of Alpine riding.

I also generally find day 1 the first few runs a bit of a ‘mare, but soon settle into it.

weeksy

We did a Lindarets red this year and another that Stoner or Ambrose will know the name of, they were slowish, technical, rocky descents, sort of clambering down them at a slower speed, with some quicker bits in there. These seemed to suit my riding skills better than things like the standard Les Gets red back into town, that sort of run is a bit complex for me.
    But i get the impression one of the lads i’m going with (there’s only 3 of us) is more up for the L-G reds, than the rocky techy stuff.

stevied
    Free Member

I did Whistler for the 1st time recently with a few mates (who’ve been several times) all on big DH bikes hitting the jumps, sending it big to the gnar factor 10. I, on the other hand, am not great at jumps so started easy and slowly built up.
    By the end of the week I was hitting stuff with much more confidence and clearing those that I felt comfortable on.
    I couldn’t afford to come back broken so that did mean I rode safely but you can push yourself gently and it surprised me what I was able to do in the end.

weeksy

I’m beginning to think Ciclo Montana or Andalucia tours may actually suit my own personal needs better… Admittedly it won’t suit one of the group… but… hmmm

jambalaya
    Free Member

It’s early days Weeksy. Plenty of time to work on skills and confidence. PdS has a huge variety of trails man made and natural, probably the best all round resort certainly in terms of being “user friendly”. As you have a long weekend a guided week long trip is out of the question and PdS is great as its close to the airport, well sign posted (relatively) and lots of advice on here for routes. If you have a mate that wants to hit a few different trails that’s easy to do there, you stop for a beer/rest while he shuttles a trail or you take different routes down, no need to be joined at the hip all day every day.

Maybe get the diary out and find a gap for an uplift day or two at BPW and get a few more rides in at Surrey Hills seeking out some of the steeper terrian and trails.

weeksy

We’re off to BPW in a Fortnight, which may answer some/many of my questions in my own head

P-Jay
    Free Member

Might be horses for courses, I’ve crap at slower, tighter technical stuff, I don’t really enjoy it.

Give me a wide open fast trail and I’m in my element. I love Morzine, when it’s dry at least.

nickjb
    Free Member

If you have a mate that wants to hit a few different trails that’s easy to do there, you stop for a beer/rest while he shuttles a trail or you take different routes down, no need to be joined at the hip all day every day.

This is one of the best things about Morzine. We go in a mixed group and it works really well. We mostly ride together but sometimes just split on the way down, some take the blue, some take the black, regroup at the bottom. Take a coffee break and the keen ones get an extra loop in. At the end of the day pick your favourite way down, some of our lot just roll down the road, then meet at the bar.

weeksy

Issue slightly with the above is that there’s 3 of us going.

Me and one of the lads are similar pace/skills going down, the other guy is quicker/better, so either we push ourselves or he gets bored with us… or he goes down alone which isn’t possibly the best idea.

JackHammer

That process you shopped would have been perfect for morzine! Doh!

weeksy

JackHammer – Member

That process you shopped would have been perfect for morzine! Doh!

Indeed, but wasn’t perfect for me… so it’s a non-discussion 🙂

JackHammer

Ha ha!

As above summer is a while away. Couple of days coaching and lots of riding of BPW, Surrey hills, just riding in general will help.

Chatel is being rebuilt as we type, so it’ll be smooth and teh awzums next year. Everything under the super morzine lift is great. Les Gets bikepark was pretty beat up this year, and has been every time i’ve been. I dont really rate it tbh.

flange
    Free Member

The new red at Les Gets (Pleney) is flipping mega – especially the gap jump half way down. That Process will would be mint there..

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Chatel is being rebuilt as we type, so it’ll be smooth and teh awzums next year.

For the first week, then it will be smashed to bits as usual.

The new red at Les Gets (Pleney) is flipping mega – especially the gap jump half way down. That Process will would be mint there..

Really? Even by the PDS’s mediocre standards, it was especially bad IMO.

flange
    Free Member

You think? I thought it was awesome, mega steep corners, big’ish drops/gaps and looseness in the corners. Maybes it just suits my lack of talent!

JackHammer

Where was this? I’m thinking of the mainline from the bit where you can go ride canyon. Braking bumps that’ll shatter your wrists.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Canyon is in LG?

Pleney red starts next to all the others & peels off to the right.

The only real benefit is it gives some trail access to other off piste stuff on that side of the lift.

weeksy

We’re leaning towards Cicolo or bikingandalucia at the moment and dropping Morzine. I think either of them are likely to find us happier as riders and possible just as people in general.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Morzine trip, thoughts and musings… Do i , don't i…’ is closed to new replies.