Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Morzine trip plan
  • carbon337
    Free Member

Thinking of a trip in Early August, heres the plan is it feasible?

4 People, 1 people carrier, towbar mount
    Drive – Newcastle – Dover
    Ferry Dover – calais
    Drive – Calais-Morzine

Camping as accommodation
    Bike for 4 days or so.

What is the town like for cheap food in the summer, pizza cafes etc?

Trails – looking to use the uplifts to find more XC orientated trails – like UK red/black trail centre type descents (but longer) so not full on DH – using Orange Five/Giant Trance X.

Ive had a look on you tube but they mainly look like DH runs.

Any links to maps etc appreciated.

titusrider
    Free Member

if your after xc trail centr stuff dont go to morzine. Lesarcs is the best ive done in fitting your requirement but not very easy without a guide. I have heard good things about chamonix along the lines of what your after. try lastest dirt mag for ideas but morzine will generally not be a good idea especially late season as you will get fairly destroyed by braking bumps!

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Two main supermarkets to stock up on cheap food/booze.

Pizza in restruants 9+ euros

Plenty of XC- hiring a good guide would be well worth it to maximise four days- if you return you can explore more.

snaps
    Free Member

Try Dover – Dunkirk, usually much cheaper

carbon337
    Free Member

Ferry is only £70 all in which I thought was a bargain considering school hols.

Would probably prefer somewhere with easy to find trails and a decent town/campsite not too far away.

stevomcd
    Free Member

Come to Bourg Saint Maurice and camp in Bourg or Seez. You can ride Les Arcs, Sainte Foy, Tignes & La Rosiere/La Thuile from there. Bourg is a proper town with good supermarkets, cafés, bars, etc.

Drop me a line if you want some trail advice.

carbon337
    Free Member

ygm stevo

steveh

It's entirely doable. Leave after work (slightly early mark if you can), get a late ferry and drive through the night. You'll be there the next morning ready to ride (I've done from Sheffield leave at 4pm, arrive les gets lift station 9am the next morning as it opened).

Someone did a Morzine guide book with routes etc but I forget who, had some good stuff in though.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Get a chalet. It will probably only cost you £80 or less each and be much better to chill in than a tent after a hard day riding. Also have you checked the cost of driving vs flying? it will be closer than you think

Try googling "owners direct" for a list of chalets available. We got one in 2008 for £325 between three of us for 4 days, chalet slept 6. 2009 we got one for £400 between 4 of us and it was MASSIVE and accessible by chair lift too and we had a double room each and nobody slumming it on the couch. Chalet slept 10.

BTW, 4 beers cost us £20 in Les Gets in 2009. Bring plenty of cash if you plan to eat out.

2009 was (each)
    £100 for chalet
    £50 for car hire (we got 2 cars for 4 of us)
    £115 flight (with bike)
    £150 beer and a bit of food
    £80 lift pass

Morzine is more DH than XC though but your five and the trance will be fine.

nickjb
    Free Member

Loads of great xc in morzine. easy to find, too. there is a good trail map that'll do and the ign is good if you want to explore. 2nd the chalet. they are cheap and plentiful in summer and very luxurious, our last one had wifi, hot tub, all en suite, under £100 each for a week.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Morzine trip plan’ is closed to new replies.