Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Morzine Manned Up 2009 video
  • jumpingj
    Free Member

Well peeps Morzine was wicked, heres our video please take a look

It took me absolutly ages to edit it all together, its the first vid i've attempted to properly make.

let me know what you think and comment and rate if you can

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=—id9ReLCI

Cheers J

Dark-Side

Ace vid J! Back from Morzine ourselves this week and didn't come across any of the stuff you were hitting there.

jumpingj
    Free Member

Cheers Dark Side
    We were staying in morzine but I'm thinking the stuff in the vid i made was in Chatel, 2 ski lifts away… we got back last saturday and all its done since our return is rain rain rain 🙁

So wish i was back there

Vortexracing

looks superb

you guys have much bigger kahooners than me, that's for sure

chvck
    Free Member

Wicked! That vid has certainly made me smile, looks like you guys had an awesome time!

Whitish
    Free Member

I like it. :thumbs up:

Some really nice camera angles you've managed to get there JJ, especially the high up one above the first gap. Looks like that was a fun riding holiday! Big. Big.

As you've asked for some comment, I personally like to edit clips very tightly linked to the music. You have done that on the whole, and I think those bits work really well. Could you have chopped the length of time each still was on screen to fit with the tune (which is a good choice!), particularly on the sequences over the gaps? I think a new still on a 'reggae' type off beat would have looked smart. What software are you using? I suppose that might have an impact as to whether you can do that.

I love head cam footage. I know a lot of people find it a bit difficult to watch, but not me! It was among the best £150 I ever spent on riding bits and bobs.

I'm sure you enjoyed putting that film together. I love doing it and I've got two films to remember my two (to date) visits to BC. One of them is 20 mins long, so I can't put it on YouTube. If you're interested in the other, then it's here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyJSMyukOSM

It is ESSENTIAL that you click on HQ to watch it in higher quality. It's fine like that. But too grainy in normal quality.

I have posted it before, and sorry for re-posting that link (!) It's very different riding from your vid though. Other riding people have said some of the music isn't to their taste, and I'll concede the Klaxons tune isn't the greatest, but I needed a 2 and a half minute track! So in it went. And I like all the rest.

I've been making a new film which started off with the idea that my riding mates and I could ride a lot of the stuff we hit on our big bikes, but on our hardtails. But as we've been filming solely at Wharncliffe and Ambergate, our backs started to hurt quite a lot! So we went back to full suss!

Happy film making!

Whitish
    Free Member

And anyway, I'm supposed to be re-building my 66s so I can go for a ride!

jumpingj
    Free Member

Thanks for the comments fellas

Yeah whitish I really like your video, you can certainly tell your not new the the film making thing, very good work.

The secret behind the high up shot on the first gap was that i had to climb the ski lift support pole to get the cam angle above. I was getting some funny looks from the walkers going up and down on the lift. We didn't hang around long after that coz i didn't want someone reporting me seen as we were somewhere we shouldn't of been….. coughs* and i was at the top of a ski lift

Whitish
    Free Member

That's what I thought you must have done. Nice!

Be good to see any further films you make. Where do you normally ride in the UK?

jumpingj
    Free Member

I'm in rossendale near blackburn pal, we get all over the north riding- Innerleitien, north wales, sometimes Wharncliffe and i'm planning a weekend trip in north wales hopefully soon. I would say 85% of my riding is local tho as i've been riding for years we've built up a good selection of dh stuff- not really long stuff but lots of techical sections…
    Where abouts are you based?

simonralli2
    Free Member

Really enjoyed the vid – well done.

BTW – had the sound turned off as watching X Factor – sorry cant comment on the tune 🙂

Whitish
    Free Member

I live in Chesterfield and generally ride at Wharncliffe. One of the guys I ride with lives in Derby, so we quite often meet at Ambergate which is about half way each way. That's why we've been making the film in those two places (as I said earlier)! 😉

There are no monster road gaps at Wharny for you boys though!

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

big props on the riding in the vid. really regret not hitting those gaps now. infact really regret not riding enough full stop when i was there!

Conor
    Free Member

Champery. Great place. Loved the runs there. Peoples was good.

We were there in late June/ ealry July. The gap over the ditch on Peoples wasn't as built up as that. It was much flatter. Looks much better there. but it was still pretty easy to hit.

Cool to see you hitting the stuff on the Slope Style runs. There weren't ready when we were there.

The "unknown" trail in your vid….. recognise that a mile off…. that bitch of a trail, Coupe Du Mond, Chatel. Hardest track I've ever ridden. So much so I've tried to build a mini replica ober here in honour!!!

Can't wait to go back there next year.

That's the thing I noticed about Les gets/Morzine. hundreds of bikers on the trails leading in to the main resorts. but very few up in the depths of the mountians. trails are far, far better up there. The run back from Chatel to Avoriaz is cool.

scuttler

Nice one. You boys are plain daft. Love the step up with tail whip.

To be critical on the vid itself (seeing as you asked) I would do more with the text (colours, fonts, effects) and would speed up the animated stills bits to give it a bit more flow, plus time it more with the beat of the music – fast video sections followed by 15 seconds of one guy 'shuffling' over a mahoosive gap means it loses its flow in my eyes.

Loved it though and you certainly portrayed a bunch of mentalists having a great time and that's more than likely what you set out to do.

jumpingj
    Free Member

Thank you for all the comments again and the constructive criticism.

I'm thinking your onto something about the flow through the burst photo bits. I would of rather not used the burst shots but unfortunatly we had the camera set on that rather than video alot of the time- not a mistake we will be making on the next little film we make. Looking back at it i should of speeded those bits up for more flow 😉 – when I was making the vid I was concerned that if those bits were to quick it would be difficult for the viewer to take in what was going on(if you get what i mean).

definitely room for improvement guys

Cheers J

dasnut
    Free Member

river gap on people – I did the 1st much smaller one, next year its the big one for me.
    Love the crash mats in the bottom of it 🙂

Ewan
    Free Member

Nice video 😀 Pretty much the first decent one i've seen on STW, better than the standard watch my mate drag his brakes on a curb in the Quantocks!

grumm
    Free Member

Sweet – definitely pretty manned up. I hope I one day develop the cojones to do stuff like that.

MussEd
    Free Member

That gap in Chatel bike park is huuuge, good on you lads, never get me anywhere near that!

I hate female rappers tho…

jumpingj
    Free Member

We didn't put those crash mats there, haha… lol at hate female rappers 🙂

Thanks for the comments mateys 😉

peachos
    Free Member

top vid & great skills

makes me regret not going to visit my mate who was living in morzine until last week.

out of interest, anyone who's making such videos – what's the best software to use? i've made a few for my club using the standard microsoft movie maker, which is quite a powerful little tool for a freebie but am at it's limits now.

jumpingj
    Free Member

Thanks peachos

Anyone who's seriously into mountainbiking I would 100% recommend that you have to get yourself to Morzine to sample the best riding trails in the world.

no excuses…. lol

Also if anyone recommends any other free film making software i'd love to know where and what to get 🙂

scuttler

Done a few things with Windows Movie Maker which is free in XP and Vista. Pay close attention to the ability to split videos (and re-join where you've split in the wrong place) which is a great way of editing out the stuff you don't want. Also have a go with transitions which is a slick way of moving from one event to another without it just crashing into the next item.

And know your tunes. Nothing beats a good tune to put it all too which is why most 'extreme' sports vids are also a show case for music (i.e. the music credits at the start of every scene).

Whitish
    Free Member

I agree with that comment about music. I spend ages trying to find the right sort of tune. A lot of people give me grief about my final choices (!) but hey… it's my film; I'm making it; my choice! If other people think any of the films I make are entertaining, then great – but at the end of the day, I make them for my memories.

I did put together my first film (from Summer 2005 in BC) using Windows Movie Maker. It did the job. But as I got more and more into it I decided I needed more editing options and ease of use. I bought a Pinnicle Studio Plus 12. It was forty notes, and I think was worth it. It ain't exactly Adobe Premier, but it does me absolutely fine.

I've found that if you don't credit music on YouTube, they quite often find you and put a banner ad on the bottom of the screen of your film! That's happened to two of mine!

I think you'd used transitions well.

And now I'm sounding like I'm immeasurably sad. 😥

Oh, and BC does have the best trails in the world!

peachos
    Free Member

yeah, i think i've sussed most of the movie maker tools, don't like their trannys much though. i just think that there must be miles better software. here's my latest, not quite as gnar as jumping j's, effort. (shot on crap point n shoots unfortunately)

grumm
    Free Member

imovie on the mac isn't bad for a freebie

bluemooner
    Free Member

top vid J
    yep the 1st clip is deffo the stream jump at chatel,,we rode across the bridge,,,
    ive got a feelin i met you guys in les gets in 04? at the boomerang,,deffo dunk ,nate and owen? dunk had a blown rear shock,,owen played drums,,and was good with the ladies,,
    if you are the same lads,,hi from ming,,if not,,,ahh,,hello anyway,,

grumm
    Free Member

bluemooner – are you Ming from Manchester who's mates with Kate and Craig the graffiti artist?

If so hi from Grum, if not… ahhh hello anyway. 🙂

bluemooner
    Free Member

alright grumm,,yep you got me,,forgive me grumm,,but are you the cubase maestro from lancaster,,if not,who,and,again , hello anyway.. 😯

bluemooner
    Free Member

alright grumm, its graham innit,,,innit?

jumpingj
    Free Member

yeah bluemooner it'll be dunk, owen and nathen from the boomerang in 04.. owen wasn't with us tho, he owns a pretty successful mtb decal company (slik graphics) and could take time off to come with us.

I'll mention you to them tho and tell them you said hello
    🙂

nicks
    Free Member

nice 😀

grumm
    Free Member

Hi bluemooner – yup it's Graham (most people call me Grum). Just sent you an email 🙂

solamanda
    Free Member

Epic size on the last one, not sure I'd want to train it in so close! 11/10

jumpingj
    Free Member

Cheers for the comment peeps,

Haha, about being close on the train, I was trying to get closer for the camera footage, but Nath sneaked off while i was getting me googles on and i was cursing him real loud on the run in for be wussy…. lol 😉

plumber
    Free Member

I'm taking it you are less than 25?

Nice riding though, I can't do that

Plum

jumpingj
    Free Member

Plumber squire i'm 28
    why you ask?

bluemooner
    Free Member

nice one J
    were you there in 04,,its all a bit hazy now,,soz if i havnt remembered you,,
    you guys were loons then,,looks like youve took it up a notch or two

ming

jumpingj
    Free Member

Nah pal this is my first year back since 2002, those lads kept it up and have headed out there every year since, I'm back on the game now so won't be missing out on anymore france trips 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Morzine Manned Up 2009 video’ is closed to new replies.