Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Morzine lift info?
  • leth
    Free Member

I’m looking at sneaking a weeks riding in Morzine, around about crankworks time.
    I have noticed on the published lift openings that the Avoriaz lifts don’t open until the 2nd July.
    Is it just the express du lindretts that’s closed or is it the lifts up into charel as well.

Thanks

acidchunks

I’m sure I read somewhere that all the lifts they open for summer are running from the last friday in june…

buggered if I can remember where though…

leth
    Free Member

I know the dates but which lifts at classed as Avoriaz? . Can I get up Super Morzine & Zore & the get the Cheux Up into Chatel bike park?

jambalaya
    Free Member

@leth passportes weekend is usually the opening fir the whole lift system inc interconnecting lifts to do the route you just asked about. This year the passportes is 23-25 June so I think you are fine

leth
    Free Member

Thanks Jambalaya. Looks like it’s possible, as long as I can get up Zore & Cheux I’m happy

wallop

If you click on the link it shows you which lifts are Avoriaz lifts – Zore is one of them.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@wallop its interesting as I think some/all of those Avoriaz sector lifts are required for the Passportes the prior weekend

Edit: doesn’t seem to be a map on the site this year and whikst itvspekas of 15 lifts the stats show 1000m of climbing and I recall the events I have done where closer to 300m ?

lowey

Looks like all the Avoriaz lifts are not open till 2nd July. Which is a bit of a disaster as we are going the week before. Jambalaya, I’m a first time visitor so dont know the area, how does the closure effect the general access to the other areas ? Will it mean we are restricted to just Morzine area ?

Thanks for you help so far mate.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@lowey let me look at the map for the specific lift names, you might like to ping @Stoner an email too

lowey

Thanks matey.

zero-cool
    Free Member

It says the whole of PDS opens on 24th June bug there’s always the chance that Zoer/Super Morzine/Linderats won’t be open on weekdays until 2nd July. It’s not the end of the world as Les Gets, Morzine and Chatel are open then.
    We’ll be out there at gag time (weather depending), but will be moving around Alpes to avoid bad weather

jambalaya
    Free Member

Confusing to say the least (to me anyway)

Website says PdS lifts are open and to do the loop you typically would use (from Morzine)

SuperMorzine, Zore (Morzine into Linderets)
    Chaux Fleurie (Linderets into Chatel)
    then …
    Mossettes (from Swiss side) to get back to Linderets
    You can then ride down to Morzine via Linderets village without another lift though it’s a bit roadie/off piste and better/normal option uses Les Linderets lift

However the website lists some of those closed 😐

Also the link to the timetable points to 2015 😳

You can drive easily from Morzine up to Linderets but that’s no use if Chaux Fleurie is closed. Its a very long drive to Chatel.

Plenty of riding in Morzine/Les Gets inc enduro stuff off Mont Chery into Morzine and the Les Gets / Lac Joux Plan / Samoens ride (needs taxi/car uplift back). There was another thread on this recently. However a bit less convenient than full PdS system and you miss out on the excellent Chatel bike park plus enduro rides like Col du Coux unless you are prepared for major pedalling up.

Stoner
    Free Member

I had a spare bit of time so did this:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1rGgLbCyvJvqQO86TKGZkiYHVf3cVG58CVldwoO5HPFY/edit?usp=sharing

Its a pity the PDS websites cant get their act together and publish something consistent nice and early in the year so people can plan better.

Anyway, ^ no warranty offered on that as it’s only worth what you pay for it 😉 but it might help people sort out some things.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@stoner 😀

Your spreadsheet confirms that easy access to PdS area isn’t available till the 2nd 😥

Have you seen a Passports event map this year ? I noticed it said 1000m climbing which is much more than usual.

Stoner
    Free Member

I dont really do the PDS. Dont see the point.
    I can ride around the route any time over the summer.

Early openings are mainly for people to shag the bike parks.

BUT, If I get out early, I have used the the early Les Gets openings to do some longer tours of plateau de loex as well as the DH runs.
    I imagine one could do the same if you were based in the swiss valley or Morgins.

lowey

Firstly, thanks for that guys.

Secondly, bollocks. Looks like we will be severely restricted with the lifts being out.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@Stoner PdS event is a grand ride in company, drinks and food, chance to meet up / get permission for a weekend or longer in the mountains. Good “intro to the Alps” for a first time visitor.

@lowey try and search out the other threads – lots of route advice away from bike park trails, stoner posted some maps I sent out a few route/map emails – can’t remember if I sent one to you ? Plenty of riding for a week and perhaps try and leave later Sunday or Monday after July opening so you can ride Chatel and Swiss side a bit

lowey

You did mate. It was my thread about Morzine for the Non Downhiller.

I got the book that Stoner recommended so I’ll start doing some proper research in the next few weeks. I’m not in the least bit arsed about the bike parks… the other lads I’m going with are, so I was going to be doing the exploring. The Avoriaz lifts will affect me more than them. Cheers for your help guys.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Sorry not to recall exactly 😳

Yes definitely a bit of a bore and first time I can remember the PPdS not being the “official everything now open” weekend

lowey

Thinking I’ll sign up for the PPDS on the Saturday. Sounds like a good introduction to the area.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Its probably sold out – usually sells out in a day or two for the Morzine start on the Saturday – tickets go on sale in February. Sunday night be available.

Sorry again to bring bad news.

EDIT: Friday and Sunday starts sold out for all French resorts and no starts anywhere for Saturday. You may be able to pick up a spare in the resort, officially it’s by name but not sure anyone really checks. You may be able to buy an area ticket and just do the ride (sign posted / follow people) just miss out on the included food and drink

sing1etrack

I’m going to cling to the hope that the ‘Portes du Soleil Lifts’ opening on June 24th trumps the ‘Avoriaz lifts’ opening on July 2nd. Hopefully ‘Avoriaz lifts’ is the likes of the Prodains, which serve only Avoriaz, not the wider PDS region. This would make some sense – Avoriaz’s (as a town) summer season doesn’t officially start till 2nd July, while the wider PDS season [usually] starts with the PPDS weekend.

It would certainly seem odd to have the lifts that link Morzine to Lindarets, Chatel and beyond open for the PPDS weekend then shut again until the next weekend – there’s bound to be a lot of riders staying in the area for the week following the PPDS – there certainly was last year.

sing1etrack

Just found this link to avoriaz lift opening dates which confirms that the key lifts will be open from PPDS weekend (and some a bit earlier). Phew!

Stoner
    Free Member
    lowey

Brilliant. Thanks for that guys.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Phew ! So the rule/belief/speculation ( 😉 ) that PPdS always signals the full opening rolls on for another year

Chatel Blues and Red off the middle station road, Morgins and Crosets Reds and the Col du Coux await 🙂

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Morzine lift info?’ is closed to new replies.