Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Morzine for a novice???
  • enduro-aid
    Free Member

looking at taking the campervan across to Morzine and Les Gets for a week at the end of june but my question is my girlfriend only started riding this summer and i'm wondering if there will be enough to keep her going??

she has been riding at glentress and plays around in the freeride park and can happily do the red route from buzzards nest…to the top…and all the way down to the hub (cant quite cycle from bottom to top yet) has also done the downhill section of the omega-man at AE

she has a kona scrap but i would get her a old kona stinky frame for the alps

sooo what does the STW massive think??? enough novice stuff to keep her motivated (the idea of lifts appeals to her haha)

jedi

yeah!

nickjb
    Free Member

Its excellent for novices. Loads of great, easy tracks and you can go for days without riding uphill.

Onzadog
    Free Member

you see little kids riding around Morzine. There's something for everyone in the PDS

mikewsmith
    Free Member

yes but keep your dreams under control, it can be full of large c*cks riding 8" bikes down the greens & blues so best head for the XC stuff with lift assist, go before school hols and the brats turn up but go after the opening weekend, my missus was a bit more advanced and nearly left me and killed me after my taster week, Les Arcs was better 🙂 hope this helps

Onzadog
    Free Member

very slow double tap!

thv3
    Free Member

Mmmmmmm.

Went to Morzine for the first time this summer and can't recommend it enough.

Lots of suitable trails for Novices.

However………..

Not sure I would trust myself to stay with her and not lead her down more challenging trails. Most of the best trails I found are off the beaten track and are unmarked, so tend to be a bit of a surprise as to their content! Can't recomend exploring enough, although there is enough waymarked stuff to keep you busy all week.

The question is, Can you ignore the better/more challenging riding, and if so how hard will you kick yourself afterwards??

forge197
    Free Member

enduro-aid where you thinking of camping? were heading down for Passportes haven't decided whether to camp with the van or stay in a chalet.

There are easier trails though Mrs Forge is more XC and plans to ride those this year, previously she's done some hill walking and sussed out some trails, but plenty for all abilities.

Ambrose

No probs at all. LOADS to do. Do not be intimidated by the hoards of overdressed stormtroopers you see on all the trails. Some of the best riding IMHO is far away from the lifts- use them to get up, but don't take the shortest way down, there is loads to be found a bit further away, especially if you go via the refuges and buvettes (mountain cafes).

Forge- see you late June 🙂

forge197
    Free Member

Have to have a PPDS STW Meet, see you there 🙂

toys19
    Free Member

yup wife is still novice despite riding regulrly for 15 years and loves morzine, do it!

igm

Yes. I took our then three year old down green, blue and some bits of red (including the 4X course) on his LOCT seat on my Five.

To be honest on the Chavannes side of Les Gets, a DH or freeride bike is probably overkill. The Five with Pikes was prefect, even on the red. Other parts of LG/M are probably a little more full on.

overdressed stormtroopers

Oh yes. Gloves, no body armour, an open face helmet and an evil grin is where it's at.

Get a big front brake though.

ianv
    Free Member

There are better places. The comment about blokes going fast on the easy runs is spot on. My GF was getting really intimidated being buzzed by downhillers on easy runs.

IMO pick somewhere quieter, and better, like Andorra and the Pyranees Orientale (GF loved it there) or some of the less frequented Alpine resorts.

enduro-aid
    Free Member

Forge I was looking at this place

http://www.alpensport-hotel.com/anglais/tout_camping.htm

there was another cheaper one in Morzine that was mentioned in another forum that if you search you should find easily

cheers for all the info folks have just remembered that the world cup is early june so may have to make the trip july DOH!

NWAlpsJeyerakaBoz
    Free Member

Morzine is fine for a novice, just pick the right trails. Maybe go away from the two main lifts in Morzine as they are the busiest and as already said, often populated by lads on badass bikes. Fit bigger brake rotors as well if you can as the downhills can go on for ages – maybe a brake bleed for you get there as well.

I would however suggest some sort of leg and arm pads – the trails are SO much steeper than the stuff we get here and you pick up speed really quickly. Im not suggesting you get a pressure suit and a Moto X spec full facer, but a bit of protection to prevent nasty grazing which could spoil the holiday.

mafiafish
    Free Member

Another Morzine fan here, infact I've been daydreaming about going back ever since my last run on the Pleney! Our group was only there for one week and I feel we barely touched to top of the ice berg with how many trails there are but even so I never for one minute got bored.
    Definately consider a brake upgrade as they will take some abuse and obviously bring another set of pads. As far as XCing goes there are some beautiful singletrack runs without any crazy buisness and often pass through woods and meadows, it's all very lovely.

sambob
    Free Member

would a hardtail be okay there or would i need to hire a full sus?

Jerome
    Free Member

Done most the trails on a hardtail with V's -you will be fine.
    If you want to play at downhill biker dude then maybe hire a bike for a day ot two

sambob
    Free Member

cheers. not certain if going yet but only time will tell. got the rest of the kit anyway 🙂

ianv
    Free Member

I can imagine that a hardtail would be a PITA (in more ways than one) in the bike parks.

I was there about 5 years ago and the breaking bumps were pretty brutal then.

chakaping
    Free Member

Made my first trip to the PdS last year, and although most of our riding was DH-centred, the XC stuff we did ride seemed pretty suitable for novices.

Tracks were often very wide and not overly technical, not even that busy off the marked DH runs.

You might even find a Stinky is a bit overkill if you're just XCing.

Geronimo
    Free Member

Great place.

ps. Many of the 'stormtroopers' on huge bikes aren't actually good riders and don't have their suspension set up properly to make best use of it.

wheelz
    Free Member

I've just booked to go to Morzine for a week with the family at the beginning of August.

Will be taking all the bikes, as the idea is to get everyone out on them everyday.

Staying in a chalet organised by Jolly Good Alpine holidays, which was reasonably priced.

Keeping the kids sweet by taking them to Eurodisney on the way down!

Tracey

You will be fine, loads of trails for all levels of riders

The stormtroopers never bothered Abigale when Kevin took the girls

Tracey

chakaping
    Free Member

I dunno Tracey, that stormtrooper behind her looks a bit threatening to me.

Tracey

I think she had just past him to get to the bridge first

Tracey

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Most of the DH runs have easier lines and the experts just ride them quicker. I first rode the area on a steel kona hardtail with ancient PACE elastomer forks (which didnt even give the full 48mm travel as the elastomers collapsed!) and V brakes, and rode the morzine and les gets DH runs fine, just not as quick as Mr MC on his full susser. Enjoyed it enough to go back for the next 5 years, now on a 6" full bouncer.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Oh and looking like a storm trooper but I need it now! Smashed face first year so went full face! but hey each to their own. Definately worth going.

toys19
    Free Member

Yep lots of the dh runs have "chicken runs", but then I have been overtaken by 14 year old kids on sarcen hardtails getting 10ft of air so I often say "Its not the wand, its the wizard waving it"

forge197
    Free Member

thanks enduro-aid I looked at that one but they don't do reservations which isn't so good if your travelling miles to get there.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Morzine for a novice???’ is closed to new replies.