Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Mortgages – wheres the best deal at the moment and should I switch to a tracker?
  • organic355
    Free Member

Mortgage is up for review in August and want to start shopping around.

Currently with LLoydsTSB on fixed 5.99% (it was a good deal at the time).

Whats good at the moment, fixed rates, trackers? whats a safe option?

We want the flexibility of overpayments (lump sums and also paying more every month) and also mortgage holidays, got about £140K left to “transfer”.

Was hoping to get some offers and see if LLoyds could match them.

legend
    Free Member

What sort of LTV are you looking at? I’ve always like the look of One Account type offset mortgages, couldn’t quite get on one at last renewal though (need 75% LTV)

jekkyl

mortgage deals change every day. I would suggest not looking for a new product 2/3 months ahead of when your deal expires. Now stop looking at that computer screen and go out on your bike!

DrP

I’d see what it drops down to.
    Ours went from 5.89% fixed, to 2.5% SVR.

No point changing.

DrP

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

If mortgage isn’t up until August there is no point shopping around no, they’ll all change by then!

marsdenman
    Free Member

As mentioned above – wait, for a good few months.
    We’ve just sorted a mortgage for a move and the deals were changing on pretty much a week-by-week basis…
    Might also be worth looking up an independent financial advisor?
    We were happy with a deal we’d found with Nationwide. That all went a touch sour and we were left wondering where to turn. Found out a riding buddy is an IFA. Had a chat with him. He’s found us a better deal elsewhere. One we’d likely not have found for ourselves. He also kept us appraised of any changes in the market in those days whilst we were waiting for our offer on the house to be accepted etc.

gusamc
    Free Member

do some research on an offset mortgage, it may/may not suit

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

WE have recently looked at an offset mortgage and after 7 years you end up paying for the privelge so think we will be staying well away from it. Remmeber though at present IFA get paid commission on products they sell however this is in the process of changing (not sure when/if it has) as clearly they may well push a product they get more cash on. GOod luck it’ a minefield but I still think you’re looking WAAAAY too early.

jota180
    Free Member

These are the deals that Halifax are currently pushing out to IFAs
    May give you some idea of the vast number available

http://www.halifax-intermediaries.co.uk/products/mortgages/default.aspx

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Mortgages – wheres the best deal at the moment and should I switch to a tracker?’ is closed to new replies.