• This topic has 44 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by br.
Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • Mortgage: Time to move to fixed?
  • Hohum
    Free Member

Stoner – Member
    By fixing you are betting that you can judge the market better than the person at the Bank responsible for it
    yes.

But it’s not the be-all and end-all. For many, fixed costs are valuable even if nominally more expensive.

I had to lose my 0.35% tracker when we sold the house to move to the barn. That hurt

Wouldn’t your existing lender let you port it?

Then again, at 35bps over base I can see why they wouldn’t 😆

Stoner
    Free Member

oh my thoughts on the flakiness of some commercial lenders…. 🙂 not for here.

Stoner
    Free Member

no. The lender pulled a stinker on us. We took them to the ombudsman but they found for the bank on the basis that the decision was a “lending terms” one and so they couldnt make them change their mind.

They were devious on some wording – we were explicitly allowed to port the mortgage to another property, but when we asked to move it to the barn after we finished building it they said “you cant port it to a property YOU ALREADY OWN” Bunch of ****s

So now just to spite them we keep all of their expensive services (current accounts with online features etc etc ) and have all the money making products with another provider.

Mrs S and I had been with them for over 30 years each and they blew it with that stunt.

Hohum
    Free Member

I am sure you know that banks and mortgage providers employ clever lawyers to find ways of weaselling their way out of what they have stated within their terms and conditions of lending!

Good shout on keeping only your current account with them. Banks lose money on that kind of product.

br
    Free Member

tbh our .35% over-base meant that we decided not to move house, and extend instead – and the extension is paid for though the interest saving

Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Mortgage: Time to move to fixed?’ is closed to new replies.