Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)
  • Morrissey- why cant he concentrate on writing/signing new music?
  • hora
    Free Member

There was the the ‘misquotation’- about immigration (does he know his family were too immigrants?

Now its the Falklands.

Please retire to your bedroom, write some new material and reform the Smiths. Please.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Hora – why can’t he concentrate on riding his bike?

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

I’d prefer it if Morrissey didnt write any more music thanks.

flap_jack
    Free Member

He should have done an Amy Winehouse. Then his reputation would be unassailable.
    Everything post Smiths horrid IMO.

hora
    Free Member

Disagree Viva Hate was one of his best musically

nbt

I’ve never got this flaming hero worship of the smiths. they did a few reasonable songs and split up over twenty years ago. let it lie ferchristssakes

Naranjada
    Free Member

He’s driven by politics and is allowed an opinion; where do you think his lyrical inspiration comes from?

FeeFoo
    Free Member

Love the Mozza but he needs to stick to singing.

jota180
    Free Member

I suspect he didn’t volunteer his opinion

it’s probably the bottom feeding journos you should complain about

DezB
    Free Member

Blimey, the Smiths courted controversy in the 80s -“hang the DJ”! Racist! Morrissey draping himself in a union jack too… I can’t believe anyone listens to what an old hasbeen has to say now though.

eemy
    Free Member

When he was on the One Show a while back his answer to the problems with the economy was along the lines of – if people can’t get a job, then why don’t they just paint and read books.

Idiot.

RustySpanner

His solo stuff is dependant on the quality of his collaberators. Viva Hate was good, Kill Uncle too.

He’s never been a great songwriter, but a brilliant, brilliant lyricist whith the Smiths.
    The Smiths needed each other and they needed Manchester too.

As you can tell from my user name, I’m a huge Smiths fan, but I’m not sure if I’d like to see them reform.
    They split at the top of their game (Strangeways is still a superb album) and I’d hate them to ruin it.

As to his opinions, they’re just that. He’s entitled to them, just like everyone else.

starrman82
    Free Member

I like the Moz 😀

PJM1974
    Free Member

There was a fantastic Viz t-shirt back in the day that summed him up perfectly. Something along the lines (and I’ll paraphrase here) of “Morrisey – Pop genius or ladygarden?”

tops5
    Free Member

Massive Smiths fan and used to love the Moz, unfortunatley he is now a c0ck.

His comment on The One Show (WTF was he doing on there??) about having no sympathy for white collar workers who were finding themselves unemployed really did it for me – these people are the former students who got him were he is (or was)

Really hope they don’t reform and taint it (but I would be 1st in the queue for tickets! 🙂 )

manitou
    Free Member

Hate the bloke. I remember the first time I saw the Smiths I burst out laughing, I thought they were taking the piss.. then Imagine my surprise when I discovered they were deadly serious!
    He should just go away.To put it politely.

stanfree
    Free Member

He Is a complete tool and I think only comes out with this pish for the same reason Jeremy Clarkson comes out with verbal diahorrea. Stupid comments keep them in the limelight for another few months. Johnny Marr on the other hand is a bit of a legend.

samuri
    Free Member

I remember the first time I saw the Smiths I burst out laughing, I thought they were taking the piss

+1

I’ve yet to hear him say anything in a song or not which doesn’t sound like a naive, whining student.

There was a mickey take about him on an 80’s comedy program singing about shoes being expensive, it was brilliant. Can’t find it now though.

emsz
    Free Member

I remember the first time I saw the Smiths I burst out laughing, I thought they were taking the piss.. then Imagine my surprise when I discovered they were deadly serious!

They sang a song about tits and you thought they were being serious? wow, you really missed the point.

retro83
    Free Member

Weapons grade bell-end IMHO.

jam-bo

I’d prefer it if Morrissey didnt write any more music thanks.

+1

RustySpanner

Spot on emsz.

The Smiths were brilliant at being serious (Suffer Little Children), being funny (Cemetary Gates) and being both at the same time (pretty much everything else).

Always amazed me that the haterz never got the humour. It’s pretty obvious really 😀

brooess
    Free Member

brooess
    Free Member

IME the people who hate Morrissey have never really sat and listened to the music or thought about what he has to say.
    He basically says it as he sees it, and a lot of it is what people want to say/admit to but haven’t the courage – he’s the most eloquent writer about personal insecurities and fears I know. Equally the comments he makes which come across as racist ‘With a Rush and a Push…’ – there’s plenty of people who’ll express those ideas behind closed doors who haven’t the balls to say it in public. And we all know racism comes from personal insecurity…
    + people don’t understand the concept of an author or singer taking a role/persona ie: they’re not necessarily his personal views…
    If you listened to his Desert Island Discs you’ll find he’s a very insightful, very considered individual, and actually comes across as a nice guy.
    His attitude to work is spot on too – for so many people, their job is boring, stressful, unsatisfying, soul-destroying but they do it because they want the money. That’s just the point he’s making. It’s really a call to arms for employers to care a little bit more, and I can’t see many people disgreeing with that…
    Oh, and just like Clarkson, he says stuff cos he knows it winds people up. Childish? probably, but it’s yr own problem if you let it wind you up…

Brake-neck
    Free Member

IME the people who hate Morrissey have never really sat and listened to the music or thought about what he has to say.

Nope, I hate his “music” because its sh*t, but then thats what music is all about, each to their own etc.

samuri
    Free Member

Aah, so he’s just toying with us? He certainly had me fooled.
    He’s really, really good at making himself look like a complete bellend.

nbt

I don’t hate him or the rest of the smiths, i quite like some of the songs, I just don’t get this hero worship thing

konabunny
    Free Member

I thought they were taking the piss.. then Imagine my surprise when I discovered they were deadly serious!

There are Inception-level degrees of irony/sarcasm in Smiths songs. You’re never entirely sure what the intent is.

Morrissey has a significant Hispanophone fan base. A comment like this will appeal to them and scandalise the Anglophone media – which is great for sales.

Does he mean it? Does he care? Does it matter? You be the magistrate (who lives their life hiding their mistakes…).

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Nah, The Smiths weren’t as clever as some on here make out. Musically, they had a few decent songs on each album but never made a great record. They were just an average indie band who happened to make it big coz Morrissey waved some flowers around on stage and the music press loved them. File alongside Suede, the Arctic Monkeys, and countless other bands over the decades. Oh, and Morrissey is a total bell end, it has to be said.

hora
    Free Member

“Morrisey – Pop genius or ladygarden?

I’d love that tshirt!

benz
    Free Member

What difference does it make?

hora
    Free Member

When the leather runs smooth on the passenger seat.

What a line.

RustySpanner

‘Smiths’ threads are ace, a great way of outing the humourless.

Here’s something to cheer you all up:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbg2AhnIDVM[/video]

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

The Smiths v.s. Suede or the Arctic Monkeys

You really think there is a possible comparison? Putting aside that they were a popular group, The Smiths are waay more musically important IMO. Poignant, comic, deeply satirical social commentary accompanied by jangly guitar pop. Flippin’ genius idea for it’s day.

samuri
    Free Member

These threads are certainly a great way of outing some very odd hero worship, that’s for sure.

So just to re-cap then, if you don’t think morrisey and/or the smiths are funny, you’re humourless.
    Everyone? In the entire world who doesn’t think they’re funny?

Wow.

kimbers

“you can’t help but feel the Chinese are a sub-species”

ladygarden afaic

RustySpanner

I don’t like Frankie Boyle, Jimmy Carr or Jim Davidson. But I still recognise what they do as humour, just not the kind I enjoy.

I find it genuinely odd that some people can’t see the humour in the Smiths.
    I don’t expect everyone to like it, but it’s pretty obvious that it’s there.

Oh, no hero worship from me btw, politically, he’s a bellend.
    He always has been. Most musicians are.
    Great frontman and lyricist, though.

And very funny, in a northern miserableist, LesDawson/Rob Wilton/Hovis Presley/John Cooper Clarke kind of way.

jimification
    Free Member

I was a student in that era and lived through quite a frightening amount of smiths as a consequence.

I appreciate the silver tongued pokings at contemporary society and all that but there comes a point when, however post-neo-ironic you set your stall out to be, the music you make has to stand up for itself and be taken at face value. I’m afraid that’s where it falls pretty flat in my opinion. He does look good staring dreamily skywards on a Sunday supplement cover though, I’ll give him that.

So….a vote for “Ladygarden” from me 😛

Kevevs
    Free Member

he has written and sung some really sensitive thoughtful funny songs that I love, also is a stupid ignorant dickhead.

AndyP
    Free Member

Not a massive fan, but:
    1) he has a point on the Malvinas.
    and
    2) ‘these people are the former students who got him were he is (or was)’
    so he should change his views because some people liked his music? He owes them nothing.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)

The topic ‘Morrissey- why cant he concentrate on writing/signing new music?’ is closed to new replies.