• This topic has 8 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by scud.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Morocco at Xmas
  • zyfy
    Free Member

Booked some cheap flights to Spain and was going to head to Morocco…been but a few years ago now…any good recommendations? Was wanting to go biking for one or two days and maybe going to hike in the atlas…any tips more than welcome!

tails
    Free Member

It’s colder than you’d think, snow in the Atlas Mountains I’d imagine. I only went to marrakech and some beach town called essaouira, so not the best of knowledge.

zyfy
    Free Member

Yeah I’m expecting it to be cold….I’ll email a few guiding companies and see if I can get some things planned

zippykona

My friends were taken by their guides to visit their families.
    Obviously they couldn’t refuse the food offered to them but the resulting food poisoning was something they could have done without.

scud
    Free Member

Used to work in Morocco for years, best tip if you are just heading over would be to avoid Tangiers at all costs, horrible place. If you are getting ferry across head via Ceuta instead.

MTB didn’t really exist when i was out there, but have since heard really good things about Freeride Morocco.

It depends what you want from the trip, if you want the hustle and bustle, then Marrakesh is a good base with Atlas above and desert below. Our if you want somewhere more relaxed for a few days, Chefchaouen in Rif mountains or Essaouira on the coast are good.

perchypanther
    Free Member

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Went in feb a few years ago, wasnt that cold even in the mountains, wooly pully level. t-shirts in marrakech in the day longsleeves at night. We did go during the arab spring though, so the security lock down on the night of the protests was interesting.

gastromonkey
    Free Member

At the risk of being flamed on here for suggesting it, but I wouldn’t visit any of the North African countries at the moment. I have not been and Morocco is on my list of places that I want to visit. But with the unrest in recent years I’m not taking the risk until it settles down a bit. My thoughts are echoed by a friend who works in security and another who works for the MOD.

scud
    Free Member

gastromonkey – Member
    At the risk of being flamed on here for suggesting it, but I wouldn’t visit any of the North African countries at the moment. I have not been and Morocco is on my list of places that I want to visit. But with the unrest in recent years I’m not taking the risk until it settles down a bit. My thoughts are echoed by a friend who works in security and another who works for the MOD

I can sympathise with the above viewpoint, i used to run two exped kitted out trucks taking people on 5 weeks tours of Morocco or 3 months in West africa, 9/11 happening followed shortly after 2 bombs in Marrakesh going off killed off our little operation.

But since then, Morocco has a pretty good safety record, the most recent King who took over about 16/17 years ago now, has courted a lot of outside investment (golf courses and hotels springing up all along the coast where the french pensioners get winter sun) and i always felt safe in Morocco, but then again i felt really safe in Algeria and Libya too. Any country these days courts some risk, but i think there has more attacks in main land France than Morocco in recent years.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Morocco at Xmas’ is closed to new replies.