• This topic has 54 replies, 49 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by sc-xc.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • Morning work rituals
  • spawnofyorkshire

What’s your arriving at work ritual?
    Mine is
    1. Stumble into office about 9:10, take off headphones and immeadiately have a bit of back and forth light-hearted sh*t talking with the electrical engineer about me being a part-timer*
    2. Turn on PC and wander off to make a coffee (start up ain’t quick)
    3. Log in to PC, open emails, timesheet and STW
    4. Exactly 20 minutes after first sip of coffee go for a download

*Most in my office do 7:30 till 16:00, I do 9:00 till 18:00 and get most of my work done when they’ve gone home

alexxx
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pN8gDtDXvdI[/video]

spawnofyorkshire

Guess where I just watched that

perchypanther
    Free Member

Can’t get a thing done in the morning until i’ve performed a furtive but bloody sacrifice of some citrus fruit.

Not lemons though.

Drac

I don’t do routines.

I also don’t turn up 10 minutes later for work. 😀

spawnofyorkshire

I also don’t turn up 10 minutes later for work.

Flexi-time contract – can turn up at ten if I want

Bregante

Officially I start at 7 but as I’m expected to know EVERYTHING that has happened overnight to brief staff at 7.15, I’m rarely in the office later than 06.30.

The coffee machine is the first thing switched on and then the computer. After the 7.15 meeting I then decide what’s important and what isn’t so I can tell the bosses about the important stuff at another meeting at 8.00. 😕

After that, it’s anyone’s guess where I’ll end up

thegreatape
    Free Member

A bit like Bregante’s, although I turn up at 8, check what’s been happening, go to morning prayers where I contribute nothing apart from trying to get the Inspector to accidentally swear on the conference call and telling the great and good what we are going to be doing that day. Then try and time it so I’m first one in the bog after the cleaner has cleaned it. After that I do some work.

molgrips
    Free Member

I also don’t do routines. So could be any of:

Lazily drink coffee at kitchen table followed by several hours of STW/internet and not much else (when WFH)

Drag self out of hotel bed and ride to work for 9.45 and hope client is as relaxed as I think they are

As above but sneak in 20 mins of singletrack if location supports

Lie in hotel bed too long groggily listening to BBC breakfast as time ebbs away, then fall out of bed get breakfast and walk short distance to work still for 9.45

Most of the above followed by being harangued about the shit that’s happened in the 2 hours between everyone else getting in and me.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Early morning call at 0800, then breakfast, then meetings pretty much all day after that.

Nothing out of the ordinary..

slowoldman

Ideally in at 8, log on, make a brew, check emails., plan the day ahead.

In reality, in at 8, get mobbed by someone with an “oh so urgent” problem. Fanny about with said “issue”. Eventually get a brew about 10.

willard

Get in, make tea, clear off the overnight backlog of service calls.

All the above is interspersed with banter and cynicism

maccruiskeen

I used to work in a gallery – our office was on the top floor. Our post box was on the ground floor. Our day started at 9. Front of House opened at 11. Post man would delivery around 10ish – so theres was nobody available to let him in and there was always parcels and stuff to sign for. If he buzzed we couldn’t get down the stairs fast enough and kept missing him.

So we’d start our day with an extended informal team meeting/coffee/scones on the ground floor – basically just waiting for the post man, once he’d been we could get on with our day.

My dad got wind of this – so. knowing that when post arrived we’d be having coffees he started posting cakes and biscuits. Starting with a massive Bakewell Pudding.

spawnofyorkshire

My dad got wind of this – so. knowing that when post arrived we’d be having coffees he started posting cakes and biscuits. Starting with a massive Bakewell Pudding.

Your dad is awesome 😀

jekkyl

Coffee, then another 30 minutes later.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Early morning call at 0800

Do you get late morning 8am calls?

My routine, lock bike in bike shed, go to locker, eat 2nd breakfast, go for shower, hang up cycling kit in locker area, go to desk, switch on PC, have a chat with the team.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Fess up time here…most fo my year is like this

Arrive around 9.45 or 9.15 if feeling diligent; do a walk round and make sure everyone else has turned up, get a coffee from the cafe (Quality control), deal with any immediate issues and make any appointments if necessary. STW for 20 mins, BBC News Guardian for another 20 mins, go for 2nd walkround, depending on business this can be short or long. Back to office for emails etc, lunch (more quality control) then fart about and annoy the sales team/finance/hr dept for the afternoon before heading home around 5pm.

Some of my year is like this – get to work around 6pm finish at 4 am back in at 12pm finish around midnight. There is no routine to these times whast so ever!

I am leaving this job after 6 years, next month I go to Edinburgh Zoo.

fifeandy
    Free Member

1) Arrive around 8.30, and start PC booting up
    2) Go fetch coffee
    3) Log in, load up email, timesheet, code environment and STW.
    4) Ask boss whats in store for the day – “errr”
    4b) Enter state of shock if response isn’t – “errr”
    5) Alternate napping, coffee and STW until 16:30

rickmeister

next month I go to Edinburgh Zoo

As an exhibit, or …..

P-Jay
    Free Member

Working in IT means log-in time is counted in seconds, I do sometimes miss my old RBS 20 min log-in times.

So, mine is:

Check e-mails on my phone over breakfast at 07:30. Reply to urgent ones, by urgent, something really needs to be on fire.

School Run

Arrive at work at either 08:30 or 09:10, depending on how compliant the eldest feels like being, never in between unless it’s school holidays.

Turn on laptop. 600Ml Pepsi Max, bit of a strech, 600Ml Pepsi Max.

09:30 Peaking like a Chineese Duck.

10:00 Turn out.

Rush, rush, rush – until my mind is gone, detanlge on STW.

13:00 Lunch, 600Ml Pepsi Max.

Rush, rush, rush, detangle, rush rush rush.

17:15 out the door, school run.

binners

1) Walk downstairs
    2) Fart
    3) Put coffee on
    4) Get felt tips out

oldnpastit

1) See if there’s anything worth doing.
    1a) If ‘yes’, double-check.
    2) Go for bike ride.
    3) Head home for the day.

ourmaninthenorth

I love this “log in” business. Yes, we all do this – but most if us start when we pick up the phone from beside the bed and deal with the emails from the insomnics and bedwetters.

tjagain

Rituals?

7 am report from nightshift.

mechanicaldope

The amount of you who sound like civil servants is amazing… I at least have to spam some emails out first thing to make it look like I am doing something productive.

MSP

1 sit down
    2 bang head against desk until the world becomes hazy
    3 read emails
    4 bang head against desk a couple more times
    5 exclaim loudly about the general levels of incompetence, then look at the sea of confused moronic faces that surround me.
    6 bang head against desk a couple more times
    7 ring site services and order a new desk.

LMT
    Free Member

I’m in the wrong job…..

majorspaniel

Week of mornings,
    Up at 4.30am, brew and toast, 6am team meeting, 6.10 start work, 9am break try to avoid bacon in the canteen. 1.10 go home and ride bikes/run/play games etc

Week of afternoons,
    Wake at 4.30am, go back to sleep, alarm at 7.30, coffee and breakfast, ride bikes/run/play games or tidy the house, leave for work at 12.30, 13.30 team meeting, 5pm break, 9pm go home, night rides in winter!!!

Am I the first to no log on to a work computer daily?

mattyfez

Straight to desk, Skim read emails and clear the fluff out of my inbox, then go for a coffee to prepare me for actual work, which is basically harrasing others into getting things done.

MoreCashThanDash

Arrive around 7.45

Fire up computer.

Have a glass of water, empty pannier, set up desk. Abuse colleagues in the meantime.

Finally log on. Time sheet and emails.

Change out of cycling kit. Make porridge and tea. Eat and drink this while downloading caseload.

Crack on – anytime between 8-8.15.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Wake up at whatever time I wake up, sometime between 8 and 12:30.

Check emails on the phone that’s been left charging on the bedside table.

If there’s nothing important shown up overnight lay in bed a bit longer, maybe have a secondary doze.

Get up.

Go downstairs, take a dump, have a wash, say something encouraging to myself in the mirror.

Make breakfast, might be toast, maybe eggs, could be cereal or some fruit / yoghurt / granola combo.

Take chosen breakfast upstairs and place it on my desk.

Turn on computer

Open blinds to let the daylight flood in.

By the time I’ve sorted out the blinds the computer is ready to logon.

Eat breakfast whilst browsing a few websites. I generally like to check the news to make sure a war hasn’t broken out overnight.

Once that’s all taken care of and assuming there’s been no outbreak of war I’ll start work

core

Get computer fired up, phones logged in/turned on, start work.

mattbee

7:30 toolbox talk at coffee shop with the guys. 8:00 on site, sort rigging, tools etc dependent on job. 8:30-9:00 on ropes.

Spud

‘If’ I’m in my contracted office, it’s lock-up bike, into office, get laptop docked and on, sort out ‘stuff’. When I’ve cooled down, off to shower etc, back at desk. Usually 20 mins for all that. If it’s another office or out and about, routine goes right out the window..

DezB
    Free Member

Lock bike in shed, walk to office, fire up laptop. While booting put lunch in fridge, come back, morning checks. Go for shower and change. zzzzzzzzz

funkmasterp

Get in to work between 07:30 and 08:00, log on, check emails and run some reports. Make coffee and queue up a playlist on Sonos whilst waiting for reports. Chat with colleagues and then stare out of the window in a state of existential dread. Drink more coffee and more coffee whilst creating product lists and dealing with queries. This is occasionally broken up by traveling to meetings and visiting customers.

psychobiker
    Free Member

So I’m the only one actually working, at work for 6.30, on bench by 7.00 work, make and modify shit, go home between, 5.30pm and 10.00pm depending on how urgent the delivery date is on the boat being built.

Never look at computer, closest I get to a pc is the display on the panel saw.

Marcel

matt_outandabout

I’m still giggling from the suggestion that @surroundebyhills is a zoo exhibit… 😆

Drac

So I’m the only one actually working, at work for 6.30, on bench by 7.00 work, make and modify shit, go home between, 5.30pm and 10.00pm depending on how urgent the delivery date is on the boat being built.

I think the issue is there’s a lot of private sector workers who have posted.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

I don’t have a job, so..

Wakeup sometime between 6am and midday.
    See if there’s anything to eat.
    Have a wash
    Eat things or go to Lidl and buy something to eat.
    Read the news online.
    Text folk.
    Possibly apply for jobs
    Find small ways to make money
    Try not to spend much money
    Maybe ride bike
    Eat again
    Maybe get drunk

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Morning work rituals’ is closed to new replies.