Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • More travel on XC hardtail?
  • gthurlow
    Free Member

I have a 2012 cube ltd race which I love but I want to enhance it a ill

I was thinking of adding a new fork, would a fox 120 or even 140 travel fork be suitable for this bike or does the geometry just not allow for it?

I feel for the terrain I ride I need a little more oomph up front for the hairy stuff, but I don’t want to compromise the great handling and ride feel that it currently does so well.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Cheezpleez

You might get away with 120 but I’m sure it’ll feel like a chopper at 140. You’ll also invalidate your warranty. It sounds like you want something less racy and more trailsy. IMO You’d be better off getting a frame that’s designed for a longer fork.

mattjg
    Free Member

^^ +1

I think what you’d end up with would be a lumpy race bike and a fernickety trail bike. There will be no winners.

Sounds like a case of n+1 to me.

chives
    Free Member

Well if you want to know what a Cube Ltd looks like at 140mm, here’s one! To be honest, they’re Talas, so go from 100 – 120 – 140 and apart from giving away about 310 grams over my 120mm SIDs rode pretty well. Seen here in full-on winter commute mode (lights & guards). The Cube has a lower BB height than something like a Soul, so doesn’t feel too tall at 140mm.

[/url] 2012-07-05 08.14.43 by Uncle Monk, on Flickr[/img]

tomcanbefound
    Free Member

I put some 120mm rebas on my old rockhopper, felt like shit till i put a short 50mm stem on it, that seemed to balance the steering out alot, still felt very different but not necessarily worse 🙂

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

I would be very concerned about a frame failure running longer forks. Get a more trail focused frame and fork, and swap your bit over.

gthurlow
    Free Member

Thanks for your help, il stick with the cube for my local stuff and il rob a bank to buy my dream canyon nerve in the future for the rougher trails.

smoothwhale
    Free Member

More travel isn’t always the answer. Stiffness, bar and stem combo and tyre choice all have a massive influence on the front of your bike

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘More travel on XC hardtail?’ is closed to new replies.