Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • More traffic Qs
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

My commute can involve a short narrow double parked road. Usually there’s no traffic on it, when there is there’s usually spaces on both sides adn it’s easy for me or an oncoming driver to slow/stop in a space to let the other pass, wave, smile, invite him and his wife round for blinis etc…

On Wednesday a Corsa was coming towards me and just didn’t stop in the space he could have (neither did I!), ended up passing with about 6″ to spare adn the same between my bars and parked cars.

My logic for flipping the bird was that I could travel on teh road without encroaching onto his side over the half way (no lane marking in place tho) and he had to encroach on mine to make progress, it was for him to give way to me.

Was I right?

hels
    Free Member

I believe, but am not 100% sure, that the person on whose side the obstruction is, has to yield.

In Wellington, where I learned to drive, the person going uphill has right of way. And it is illegal to park facing the wrong way but thats another argument.

glenp
    Free Member

I think I would have moved even further out, rather than invite him to keep on coming at me with so little space to spare. In fact I def would not ride so close to the parked cars in the first place.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I wasn’t – he forced me to – but I didn’t think of riding further out, I suspect it might have made little difference.

hels – I think that is right but there were parked cars on both sides.

scaredypants

Was I right?

yep IMO – I’d recommend a simple font if you’re wanting it on a gravestone, though

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Yep. If the obstruction teqires you to cross the White line, you should give way to oncoming traffic. If he’d hit you whilst on your side it would have been 100% his fault. Not that it would be any use to youif he had…..
    And they know that. But yeah, I’d have moved out and faced him down a bit too

Stoner
    Free Member

as they say, there’s lots of motorcyclists* in hospital who were right

*swap for “Cynic Als”

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

As ever – if there is not enough room for a car to pass you safely no matter what direction you ride out from the edge so that they can’t even try.

Basic defensive riding

glenp
    Free Member

As to who yields, I think that is up to both of you to decide as you go – cars on both sides etc. If it isn’t wide enough to start with I’d be using all the road so as to avoid the parked car door openings, but also to be assertive and visible. Some car drivers just don’t think and want to come straight past without hesitation.

nickjb
    Free Member

Happens near me a lot. Narrow victorian streets, mostly flats, lots of parked cars. I always ride at least a metre from the parked cars in case someone opens a door or starts to pull out without looking. There is usually room to pass. Some people stop at a good space, some don’t. Some say thanks when I stop, some don’t. Some even try to overtake! Its a pain. There were two drivers having a right shouting match a few weeks ago when neither would reverse. I tend to act as I would in a car, sometimes I pull in, sometimes I expect them to pull in. Its the simplest option.

ski
    Free Member

Was there more than one person in the car?

I find if there is a driver +others then the ego kicks in and…..

Your a tiddly little, slow pedal bike, so must give way to me in my big, fast, look at me, I dont want to give way to anything while I have someone in my car with me, how embarrassing would that be, having to give way to a bike, hang on I think I can squeeze through, the bike will give way, the bike will give way, please give way, GIVE WAY………why wont the bike give way!

😉

stumpy01

I think I’d have moved further into the road. Hugging the cars at the edge encourages someone to ‘nip through the gap’….

He should have waited in the gap, but obviously your presence on the road holds no weight with most car drivers.

cynic-al
    Free Member

TJ your advice is helpful – but can you answer the question?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Had a think, I reckon any collision would be 50:50 if both parties were moving, 100% if one had stopped.

GlenMore
    Free Member

hels – Member
    I believe, but am not 100% sure, that the person on whose side the obstruction is, has to yield.

I believe that is not necessarily correct.
    HWC (Rule 163) says

give way to oncoming vehicles before passing parked vehicles or other obstructions on your side of the road

So – you shouldn’t hold up oncoming vehicles, but if you’ve already started to pass them, then the “unobstructed” vehicle should stop.

anto164
    Free Member

If i’m riding down a proper single line of traffic (I.e. double parked, only just letting 1 car down inbetween), then i take up the whole road.

Someone tried to push through when i was in a similar position the other day. I stayed in the middle of the road. As soon as they realised i wasn’t moving, they stopped and let me pass.

It’s a case of ‘defensive riding’, Dont hug the left, give yourself lots of space, and don’t let car drivers bully you on the road.

cynic-al
    Free Member

No one bullies cynic-al.

Well not on the Internet at least.

midlifecrashes

Have I misread it, there was space for you both to pass, so you did without incident?

Except the Corsa driver hadn’t noticed your ego was so much bigger than your handlebars and it’s now badly bruised. 🙂

Junkyard
    Free Member

hard to say you may have been right but if a lot of steel is hurtling towards me i yield whilst getting annoyed.
    Middle of road to stop them if this does not work get the hell out of thier way.
    Right or wrong is irrelevant as sadly some car drivers dont care as we will have to yield or get very badly hurt.
    Be safe…imagine what would happen if you needed to brake sharply 😉

cynic-al
    Free Member

😀 MLC there was barely enough room – roadcraft gods would have ridden in the middle of the road straight at Mr Corsa.

JY agreed – I just wanted to get to the answer, even if it’s a bit irrelevant.

I suspect you are right, it would take balls of steel to ride at Mr Corsa and hold your line. And probably not really worth the bother as it passed off without incident.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Yip and i suspect I would have flipped the bird as well
    Ride to stop them being an idiot if they continue get out of the way of the idiot. Not how it should be but how it has to be.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Blimey that’s about the third thread we’ve agreed on over the weekend.

Are your meds OK?

mansonsoul
    Free Member

This happened to me on my commute yesterday. Opposite lane completely blocked by parked cars, and a bloke in a BMW decided I should give way to a car when he wanted to travel in my unobstructed lane when I was already half way down the section. I just rode in the middle of the lane. He realised when I made no effort to slow that he was going to have to give way. He did, and I smiled nicely thinking “what a tosser”.

gee
    Free Member

when you are lying on the ground having been hit by the oncoming car you didn’t give way to, will you still be saying “but I was in the right”?

Things like this really get on my nerves – you are on a bicycle. He is in a car. Get out of the way if you don’t want to risk being squashed.

GB

hels
    Free Member

Well, I am about to write a sharply worded letter to the Jaguar Car Enthusiasts Club about similar behaviour. Was coming down from Tala Reservoir on the single track road on saturday on my bike and not one of these knobbers pulled over from the centre I had to stop about 20 times. I know why too, as my Dad restores and rallys vintage cars. It is because they don’t want to chip the paintwork on the loose stones at the side !! Too bad about the cyclist’s blood on the bonnet.

cynic-al
    Free Member

GB have you even read the thread 🙄

mansonsoul – Member
    He realised when I made no effort to slow that he was going to have to give way. He did, and I smiled nicely thinking “what a tosser”.

I apply a subtle shake of the head in these situations, followed by a “don’t mess with me” look if necessary.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I stick my finger up or give motorists the coffee shake at pretty much every available opportunity. This would definitely be cause to do so IMO.

gee
    Free Member

Yes – especially the ‘when I made no effort to slow’ part. If someone in a car is coming at you, jut pull over an don’t risk being dead.

GB

Junkyard
    Free Member

Blimey that’s about the third thread we’ve agreed on over the weekend.

Are your meds OK?
    I thought it meant you had finally started yours ….if we agreed more which one of us would be most worried 😉

imnotverygood

In this sort of case I try to ride as if I haven’t noticed the car coming straight towards me. Look at the ground , over my shoulder etc. The guy is trying to intimidate you out of the way. If they think you aren’t looking they tend to stop*

* so far

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘More traffic Qs’ is closed to new replies.