Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • More 'Time Crunched' questions
  • oldgit
    Free Member

I’m underway, but not wholly sure I’m on the right track.
    I did my field tests and came up with an average of 167 bpm, so far so good.

My early sessions of 90 minutes include a lot of ‘Endurance mileage’ which can be 50 – 91% of that 167. Okay I turbo’d along at a steady 119bpm.
    The first test comes in the form of 3 x 8 minute sessions at about 94% of that 167. I was holding 153 bpm at a cadence of 85rpm.
    Do my figures look right?
    I’m worried that I might be under doing it.
    I’m 51 BTW in case it matters to the figures.

TBH it felt okay, the tests had me riding with closed eyes a bit, and I had a weird feeling walking upstairs – like a strong wind was pushing me back.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

I’ve not read the book, but I guess its based around doing power interval sessions of various different intensities in order to build power endurance as well long ride abilities without doing the long rides.
    Your figures look about right, you maybe want to raise your heart rate a bit higher before the first of the tests, closer to your 90%, at least for a bit. But, like I said, I’m just guessing.

I’m doing tabata intervals myself at the moment, 2 or 3 times a week with a few 1-2 hour rides thrown in as well. Same sort of idea. The tabata intervals are 20 second flat out, then 10 seconds recovery x 8. Absolutely savage, but a session can be done in 20-30 minutes with a warm up and warm down.

Russell96

Steadystate at 92%-94% of the highest of the CTS test average, usually its the average on the second part of the test.

Just started the experienced competitor for the second time this week so tonight I’ve done the 90mins EM including the 3x10min SS with 5 mins rest between intervals. So for me that was 167-171 BPM and I tried to keep my cadence at about 90. I’ve found that I really enjoyed the Under/Over intervals, but the PFPI ones are pure agony.

oldgit
    Free Member

So similar to my session except mine was 3 x 8 minute SS. And I’m just doing 153BPM.
    I don’t want to tinker with the plan, but that felt a little too okay. Perhaps when I get to SEPI and PFPI and O/U I’ll feel diferently.

Do you reckon age is a factor?

Russell96

Sounds like you did the test about right, everyone has a different heart rate so go with whats right for you.

What I noticed most last time was how good you get at getting close to the pain threshold and holding just under it, the steadystate intervals are just a little bit below that zone, so apart from sweating a fair bit and breathing steady and not that hard then that should be about right.

oldgit
    Free Member

Good good..cheers.

oldgit
    Free Member

Bump

Curious to see if anyone else has any real life experience. That 167bpm after all isn’t meant to be your maximum is it. That would be found giving it all on a steep climb. I understood it to be the best you could sustain…just, without peaks and troughs.

beej

SS intervals are OK. Not particularly hurty.

My threshold HR is 165ish so I ride SS at 145-155. Over-unders are 155-164 (HR) or about 240-260w for the under, 164+ HR/280w for the over.

SEPIs are 300w+. HR not applicable, as Joe Friel would say…

I found doing these with a powertap far easier than using just HR.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘More 'Time Crunched' questions’ is closed to new replies.