Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • more than likely the wrong place to ask, but….
  • dimmockgd
    Free Member

where would be a good place/forum to try and swap my mtb for a road bike?

only 99.99% of my riding is on road, the folks i ride with have road bikes and i reckon i may as well jump to the dark side 🙂

tried with SWMBO to convince i need another bike for best of both but she aint playing anything close to ball. Even after dinner and a few drinkies!!!

Not 100% I’ll do it as would ideally like best of both – especially in winter perhaps, but she’s a stubborn old sort.

legend
    Free Member

1. This forum
    2. Better to ask for forgiveness than permission

oldtalent
    Free Member

If its your money then just buy it, why should you have to justify spending your own money?
    Oh and dont waste it on a road bike though, they are dull!

whisky711
    Free Member

You can pick up a pretty good quality road bike for a few hundred quid these days (Boardman, Specialized, Giant, Decathlon, etc). Saves getting rid of the mtb. As for SWMBO, surely you earn your own cash, and spend it how you like?

dimmockgd
    Free Member

All fair comments and whole heartedly agree, it is indeed my money as I do earn it and pay all the bills. Come to think of it, I’m even paying for her (our) car. (I don’t drive).

Tempted to just pull the trigger and face any consequences, what’s the worst that can happen? We don’t talk for a few days as she’ll possibly have the hump, some may see it as an added bonus 🙂

Not looking at £k’s either, probably £800 max and there’s some good deals to be had in EOS sales

kneebiscuit
    Free Member

Just buy it. Life’s too short. You work, you earn, you buy. Done.

Gunz
    Free Member

Merlin do a full 105 road bike, ally frame and carbon fork for £650. I love mine for a guilty road fix.

jimmy

Find different folks to ride with for free.

mountainman

Cycle to work scheme ,and you don’t have to dig deep and pay for it tax free.

dimmockgd
    Free Member

tested a few bikes today and this is certainly the way to go for me

alas not many of the options above would work, think only one of the group has an mtb and i dont know many/any other folk with one either, could try the lbs’s to see about rides

at the moment my employer dont do the ctw scheme so thats out of the window

DezB
    Free Member

Swap? A mountain bike? For.. a road bike?? And not own a mountain bike at all?

You want http://www.weirdos.com/ mate.

montgomery
    Free Member

I bought a £400 Cannondale CAAD8 Sora from Paul’s Cycles back end of last year which does the job – knocked out 153km today including a 25% hill climb. I got it because the offroad stuff where I am gets so trashed in wet winter weather. The wheels aren’t great, but they’re good enough. However, it can be a little outfaced by the rough rural lanes I ride to avoid traffic. If I was buying again, and if I was in your position (i.e. your budget, and having to limit myself to one bike), I’d buy a cross bike rather than a full-on road bike.

ctk
    Free Member

Sell your mtb and spend the extra on the road bike.

Jujuuk68
    Free Member

Wait til she want’s a handbag/holiday/new car/new shoes.

Then learn to negotiate and find your balls.

gerti
    Free Member

Look, you need both.

My husband made me sell my road bike before I bought my first MTB. Fast forward about 5 years and I now have 4 MTB’s and have just bought a new …….. road bike!

There is clearly no need for anyone to have 4 MTBs but a road bike and 1 MTB is perfectly justifiable.

Cycle to work is the way forward, but also the way to a cramped garage.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Better to ask for forgiveness than permission

THIS
    Get a cheapish one second hand

TBH and I love both its OTT to swap a MTB for a road bike when you have not really tried that If we get 6 pages of folk saying that perhaps the hive mind can persuade her:wink:

I do actually mean that

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘more than likely the wrong place to ask, but….’ is closed to new replies.