Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • more tech advice…Calculating spoke lengths for a build + other wheel questions
  • chilled76
    Free Member

I seem to be asking a tech question every day at the minute… can you tell I’m having fun with this new build!!!

Can anyone help… I want to remove a Roval carbon rim off a Roval front hub and lace it onto a dt240 100mm (15mm bolt through) front hub. Obviously I can’t use the spokes from the existing wheel as flange spacing and diameter is different.

I need to get 10 spokes sprayed red too if anyone has any bright ideas about where to get that done.

Oh and I need anodized red spoke nipples.

It’s so it matches the rear wheel as they are very pretty but the front hub doesn’t work properly with my niner forks.

submarined
    Free Member

TADA!

plus
    DT Swiss spoke length calculator

Well, at least I hope these work, because they’re what I’ve used to calculate the size I need, having never built a wheel before!
    But, more to the point, with the DT calculator it already has the measurements for the DT hubs so you don’t even have to measure them. Just crab some old spokes and measure up the rims.

Look at the ‘Wheelbuilding from scratch‘ thread on here, loads of info there, and links on how to measure.

Bez

Possibly useful, possibly not:

Make Your Own ERD Measuring Kit

Pierre

I can’t quite see from the photo, but are those spoke straight-pull? That may complicate things a little.*

Anodised red nipples shouldn’t be a problem, but for small-batch painting you’re probably best off doing it yourself with one of those little cans of Humbrol enamel paint. _After_ the wheel’s been built and the spokes have stretched, I’d say.

*Edit: I’ve just seen it’s the rim you want to re-use, not the hub, so my first question is irrelevant. As long as the rim has standard-size nipple holes, and doesn’t use oversize nipples like some factory builds.

hatter

What lengths do you need? may be able to help with the red spokes if you’re lucky.

nixie

You might get lucky. The 240 has lots of different spoke options including straight pull. Buy the right ones and maybe you can reuse the existing spokes. If they are too long then can be shortened.

If your after a hub I’ve two brand new 350 front hubs (100×15) sat on my desk I need to sell. Make very little difference for the front.

submarined
    Free Member

Nixie – how much are you after? I may be bale to try and persuade a mate he wants to buy one 😀

nixie

submarined, sent you a message.

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

Lower the tension evenly bit by bit, or you may do bad stuff to the rim.

Mark the rim as to which side is which: you might have to do another half radial build if the spoke holes are angled fore/aft for that. I’d avoid doing a half radial otherwise, as they’re horrible things.

cchris2lou

Would be a lot easier to have some hubcaps machined.

chilled76
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies.

It’s not the hub caps, it’s the fact they use a piddly 6704 bearing in the front that lasts about 5 rides.

Thanks for the tape measure comment from above, clearly the fact I’m changeing the hub to a different type was lost on you.

Hatter I’ll be in touch.

Submarined.. Thanks for the link.

simondbarnes

Thanks for the tape measure comment from above, clearly the fact I’m changeing the hub to a different type was lost on you.

That was a link on how to measure the erd of the rim, not just a pic of a tape measure.

chilled76
    Free Member

Oops, apologies I missed that. thought it was just a flippant reponse.

Thanks

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘more tech advice…Calculating spoke lengths for a build + other wheel questions’ is closed to new replies.