Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • More stupid Roadbike questions- Italian or English thread BB
  • rhid

Hello,

Is my GF’s Bianchi Nirone frame italian of english BB threaded?

The internet will not give me a definative answer (again). Does anyone know what it is? Is it a case of all itialian frames = Italian BB or some other method of identifying types??

Many thanks

Rhid

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

To start with, italian BB shells are 70mm wide, so measure it

stumpy01

Dunno about your specific frame, but my Carraro, which apparently comes from Italy has an English BB thread. It came with a sq taper and I’ve since stuck a HTII on it.

So no, not all bikes from Italy have italian BBs standard.

rhid

Its going to be a hollowtech external style BB so width shouldn’t be an issue….

simondbarnes

Measure the width of the shell.

stumpy01

rhid – Member
    Its going to be a hollowtech external style BB so width shouldn’t be an issue….

Yeah, but I think the point is that if you measure the BB shell and it is 70mm, the chances are it will be Italian thread….

See here, and scroll down to the ‘bottom bracket threading’ table…

http://sheldonbrown.com/bbsize.html

rusty90
    Free Member

Italian BBs have a right hand thread on the drive side instead of the left hand thread on English BBs.

rhid

I measured it as 68mm the other day. this is backed up by the spec on the Bianchi website saying its a 68mm x 103 square taper BB. So does this point towards it being English thread?

simondbarnes

68mm = English thread

rhid

Brilliant. Nice, straight forward answers are what the internet is missing these days!

bails

I measured it as 68mm the other day. this is backed up by the spec on the Bianchi website saying its a 68mm x 103 square taper BB. So does this point towards it being English thread?

Yes.

rhid

Bits ordered. Thanks for all your help!

maccruiskeen

So no, not all bikes from Italy have italian BBs standard.

And not all Italian BBs are on italian built bikes <shakes fist at Eddie Merckx>

tonyg2003

Until you have had the “experience” of an Italian BB unwinding itself mid-ride you cant experience the craziness of Italian BB. In the middle of the Brecon Beacons for me 🙂

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘More stupid Roadbike questions- Italian or English thread BB’ is closed to new replies.