• This topic has 17 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • More sad news
  • gravitysucks
    Free Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/20905142

Rip Burry Stander.

Be careful out there folks

dribbling
    Free Member

Awful. I don’t have the balls to ride on the road.

RIP.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Why do they insist on calling it a collision?

tazzymtb

Noun: An instance of one moving object or person striking violently against another.

seems a fair definition to use for a fatal traffic incident. what would you prefer?

GrahamS

I much prefer “collision” to “accident”.

“accident” implies that it was no ones fault and just one of those things.

Bregante

To refer to it as an accident from the outset implies that it is already accepted that there was no intent or gross neglect.

Surely keeping an open mind is a good thing?

Edit: RIP also.

Edric64
    Free Member

Never heard of this poor bloke until now is he famous?

JCL
    Free Member

Top 5 in the world. Maybe not the most talented technique wise but bloody strong. A lot of people said that if the races were a lap or two longer he’d be unbeatable as he could just grind it out. Tragic.

takisawa2

RIP poor chap.

globalti
    Free Member

In South Africa for “taxi” read: “Toyota minibus made from two minibuses tack welded together, with knackered brakes, driven by an armed, drug-fuelled driver working desperately long hours to keep his family going and pay the criminal gang who own the cut ‘n shut bus, overloaded with too many passengers and driving too fast.”

This is why road riding is much much less popular than mountain biking in South Africa.

rudebwoy
    Free Member

RIP– this is another waste of life 🙁

🙁 oh and why not use the term ‘incident’-?

globalti
    Free Member

You have to remember that this kind of event is so commonplace in SA that their media use different terms to ours.

I read a story about a Police constable who got killed when a house alarm went off; Police went along, found nobody there and the house insecure so left a young constable to guard the property until the owner returned. Owner came back drunk, saw a young black man in his house and shot him dead. The Police described it as an “unfortunate accident”. This was about 15 years ago, by the way…. SA Police wouldn’t bother attending an alarm call now.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Awful news. RIP Burry.

We spent a week driving across South Africa and some of the driving I saw was terrifying. I believe they have a very high mortality rate on the roads.

tazzymtb

Top 5 in the world. Maybe not the most talented technique wise but bloody strong.

he was also the 2012 Singlespeed world champ. 😥

andrewh
    Free Member

Didn’t know that Tazzy.
    Also 2009 U-23 World champ and 5th at Olympics. Used to race quite a few British Nationals, always seemed a nice chap (polite and friendly when lapping me, which he usually managed to do)

GrahamS

We spent a week driving across South Africa and some of the driving I saw was terrifying. I believe they have a very high mortality rate on the roads.

Yep! We passed the burnt out aftermath of a head-on collision between two mini-buses. At least 16 people dead IIRC. Grim.

Scarily it was a long, very straight road with miles worth of visibility – about as safe as it could possibly be without completely separating the carriageways.

glupton1976
    Free Member

The driver has been or soon will be charged with culpable homicide.

DezB
    Free Member

Never heard of this poor bloke until now is he famous?

Did you read the article?? Jeez.

RIP Burry. He was a potential winner going into the Olympics. Sad.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘More sad news’ is closed to new replies.