Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • More research – Orange, Ragley, Specialized & Nikolai
  • tron
    Free Member

I'd be much obliged if people could fill in this survey for me, as it'll help me glean a few more marks towards my degree:

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/NDMSYCG

The survey should take you around 10 minutes to complete.

Thankfully, this isn't for my dissertation, so I should get away with the poor sample selection method of asking STW on a Friday lunchtime.

z1ppy

done, it's friday the site slow down as ppl disappear, bum p it again mid PM if you don't seem many replied.

Not exactly a great survey though, I mean I might have considered Spec or Orange for different bikes but I've never actually looked at Ragley as they only produce HT's, and Nikolia are out of my price range.

tron
    Free Member

Cheers. I know it seems a bit odd, but it's part of a wider assignment on marketing strategy, which is a lot easier for me if I pick fairly different brands. If I went for Spesh & Boardman with Ragley and Cove, then I'd have a lot less to talk about 😯

Oh, and you don't actually need to have owned any of the bikes mentioned in order to take part – it's all about how you view the bikes / brand.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Trekster

Done but must admit to having a thing about Orange(neg)and Ragley(pos)

geetee1972
    Free Member

Completed – BTW it's Nicolai, not Nikolai. Doesn't make much difference I know.

What is your project? Sounds interesting. Orange are a great example to use in a mountain biking marketing exercise. They produce very basic, un-sophisticated designs that might not even work quite as well as everyone would like you to believe (take for instance the revelation under testing the 224 on timed runs, that the bike was often faster in certain situations when run without a chain!) but they sell like hotcakes and everyone loves them. Oh and an Orange won the World Cup DH twice.

They're clearly doing something right.

epicsteve
    Free Member

Orange are a little difficult to answer the question on the attractiveness of their bikes as their hardtails are usually lovely looking and their FS's are usually not.

tron
    Free Member

The project is a comparison of the marketing strategies of local and non-local brands. The difficulty is in finding stuff on mountain bikes that can be referenced, firm's marketing etc. so I'm doing a bit of my own research. If I'd picked an FMCG category then there'd be loads of data kicking around.

I'm amazed the survey has been up this long without someone who does MR for a living ripping holes in it 😆

Thanks for the correction, and thanks to everyone who's taken some time to do the survey!

geetee1972
    Free Member

Tron – just a couple of thoughts. Not trying to teach you how to suck eggs.

The lack of material to reference is interesting in itself. It suggests that the manufactureres marketing strategies are more below the line than above, i.e. word of mouth, dealer networks & support, demo days, online forums like STW, MTBR etc, social networking (Nicolai have a facebook page) and of course, racing. It's obvious from the questions you're asking that you've already picked up on this (so you see folks, they are smart questions!)

brant
    Free Member

What's a local/non-local brand?

tron
    Free Member

What's a local/non-local brand?

Ragley are local, as they're UK based. The fact that you flog bikes all over the world or import from Taiwan & the USA doesn't really matter. So are Orange.

Nicolai and Specialized, on the other hand, are non-local. They are based outside the UK. It is something of an odd distinction given the way international business works these days, but that's what the essay question asks for.

Brant – would there be any possibility of you giving me a bit of info? Stuff like how many frame only sales VS full builds? My email on my profile is valid.

The lack of material to reference is interesting in itself. It suggests that the manufactureres marketing strategies are more below the line than above,

Agreed. There is some gen on bikebiz about forums/social networking & marketing. It used to be the case that the retailers would stock stuff that won group tests, and the customer would buy what the retailer stocked, so most of the marketing from manufacturers was aimed at the trade & press. Now it's more a case of the customer deciding what they want independently of the retailer, and the general trend across all products is that people are less inclined to pay attention to reviews, and more to word of mouth.

Trekster

and of course, racing

geetee

How many people are seduced by a brand winning or being involved in racing?
    I ride with loads of people, most of whom rarely buy a magazine(read mine tho)so are not influenced by race results or some bloke jumping around on the front page of mags 🙄
    How do they choose a bike? Tour loads of shops and internet sites.
    Graphics and paint jobs/colours can make or break a sale.

None of my choices have been. Current ht is one of Mr Brants, a Ragley

Maybe that is a question that should have been asked.

I started buying mtb bikes long before I read a magazine and the internet never mind social networking had not been rolled out to the masses afik

nickc

Done, Good luck with your degree

geetee1972
    Free Member

How many people are seduced by a brand winning or being involved in racing?

I think it's something that is particularly evident in the DH scene, where you definitely see 'flavour of season' bikes. A few years ago it was the 224 when Peaty was aboard and won the World Cup on one. Then he moved to Santa Cruz along with Minnar and guess what, suddenly the V10 was hot.

The Demo 8 MK2 was no where as a DH bike (though the MK1 was popular among freeriders before that) until recently when suddently everyone wants one because Hill won the World Cup on one. And let's not forget the Iron Horse Sunday before they ran the company into the ground.

Having said all that Trekster, like you I don't pay much attention to magazine reviews (although I do read them) or race results. I have two Nicolai's, a DH bike and an AM/trail bike. The DH bike is raced at world cup level but the rider on it never places near the top. People have even commented that I bought a DH bike that doesn't really seem to do well on the World Cup circuit – like it makes any freakin difference to my performance!

tron
    Free Member

Good point – the sponsorship covers it a little, but not as well as a specific question would have. Spesh certainly sponsor a lot of things, including films, as well as just having their name on people's backs.

Trekster

People have even commented that I bought a DH bike that doesn't really seem to do well on the World Cup circuit – like it makes any freakin difference to my performance!

Agree, it is the operator not the tool. Give a world class sportsman eg squash tennis a raquet without strings and he/she will still win against poor opposition

Personaly do not follow the "sport" so have no idea who is winnig or riding what, same with mates. I would suggest we are the majority rather than the minority.

Do agree with your DH comments, know a champ or 2 who change to the latest and greatest each season. Has been Kona, Santa Cruz, Orange, Iron Horse and think currently Commencal.

Unless I am specifically looking for something I do`nt bother looking at adverts, fraid they are wasted on me. Prefer to take advice from some trusted lbs and not so lbs. Having the advantage of advancing years I can suss the wheat from the chaff so to speak.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘More research – Orange, Ragley, Specialized & Nikolai’ is closed to new replies.