Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 116 total)
  • more people switching to flats for xc riding….
  • GHill

Why would you want to wear SPDs for a GMBC ride? You’ll only get 10′ before you need to unclip and wait for someone to stop faffing. 😛

iainc

GHill – Member
    Why would you want to wear SPDs for a GMBC ride? You’ll only get 10′ before you need to unclip and wait for someone to stop faffing.

Posted 1 minute ago # Report-Post
    I guess youre missing us then Grant ? 🙂

GHill

iainc – Member
    I guess youre missing us then Grant ?

Only for the cafe stops and banter 😉

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Cheezpleez

I agree that the speed advantage of SPDs is marginal. But it is real and noticeable when riding hard.

For me, the advantages of flats are marginal, too. When I use them it’s because I like the feel/experience, not because they are ‘better’.

botanybay
    Free Member

Spuds are cheating, but then again, I still use clips and straps.

andyrm
    Free Member

Switched to flats from SPDs part way through last season. Run DMR Vaults and 5:10s. The facts are this – I am able to commit harder into tech/sketchy sections and as a net result am faster.

As has also been suggested – good riding 150-160mm Enduro bikes driving more aggressive riding than old style XC, and so riders are evolving to the required better technique that flats encourage.

Suggsey
    Free Member

I used toe clips when I first started out then SPDs then had a dabble with flats to try and ease the knee issues that I hade developed and got worse with SPDs. Just could not get on with them, was using the biggest platform I could find for my size 12 fat feet but was constantly having to reposition my feet to get comfortable for my knees…..apart from thwacking my shins a few times which I still do with current Time Atacs on all my bikes including the road bike so all my riding shoes/boots can be worn on any bike. I have however considered trying flats again on the FS as I am running the DH version Times on it and it’s nice having the platform if you haven’t clipped in quick enough before hitting something really technical I suppose that and ability to bail PDQ …..I just worry that at places like Antur my feet will loose contact with flat pedals or elsewhere at speed and result in a snapped leg/ankle.
    It would be interesting to see some statistics on such injuries and pedal use at the time.

GEDA
    Free Member

What scares SPD users from riding flats for XC is the fear that it’ll make them much slower because of the huge loss in efficiency – but it’s simply not true. Yes there is a marginal gain hence it would be foolish to do serious XC racing in flats (except in really muddy conditions) but it is a tiny difference in average long-term applied power.

How big is tiny? As much as I like riding flats I would beg to differ. Riding my 5.10s I have a lot less power and I cannot get up some technical climbs that I can with SPDs on, it is more tiring. With SPDs I have the options of more pedalling techniques and the shoes are stiff as boards. I practice drops and jumps with flats which is fun and using flats means I remember heals down with SPDs.

If there was any danger of me crashing as I was unsure or going slow I would probably prefer flats but then again maybe you should not ride stuff that you feel unsure about.

andyrm
    Free Member

then again maybe you should not ride stuff that you feel unsure about.

That’s the only way you get more technically capable as a rider – otherwise you end up one of those glorified roadie/XC mincers who constantly climb off the bike to cope with a switchback/drop etc.

weeksy

but then again maybe you should not ride stuff that you feel unsure about

Why on earth not ? that’s half of the fun 🙂

VanHalen

What scares SPD users from riding flats for XC is the fear that it’ll make them much slower because of the huge loss in efficiency – but it’s simply not true.

well – yes it is. for someone interested in speed (up mainly) there is definately an advantage in clips. and its quite large. noticeable to me and i`m no whippet but i do have a decent hill to go home up every night

however most people are out for a merry jaunt/banter in the woods so therefore outright efficiency is not needed. the ability to ‘have a go’ is.

it all depends on what terrain you ride regularly and what you like to do on a bike.

scotroutes

For most, it’s fashion, plain and simple.

Why do so many MTBers wear baggy clothes? The same. Like many things, the UK seems to be out of step with mainland Europe on this.

weeksy

Why do so many MTBers wear baggy clothes? The same. Like many things, the UK seems to be out of step with mainland Europe on this

Because we’re all fat and 40 IT nerds who know they shouldn’t have lycra on.

jameso

What scares SPD users from riding flats for XC is the fear that it’ll make them much slower because of the huge loss in efficiency – but it’s simply not true. Yes there is a marginal gain hence it would be foolish to do serious XC racing in flats (except in really muddy conditions) but it is a tiny difference in average long-term applied power.

Varies between riders though, pedaling style etc. I’ve used both for years on and off and I’d say the shoe-pedal combos available make SPDs a more efficient set up for many riders eg climbing on a SS is a lot more difficult for me on flats, a big difference there. Technically my technique develops more on flats tho, they force you to learn how to work with the bike better.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I can’t bunny hop or jump with flats on, I know, I know, I’m not doing it right!. One reason I’d like to get away from spd’s is the indisputable fact that a brass cleat on the bottom if the foot acts to conduct all the heat out yer foot in the winter.

monkeychild
    Free Member

I tried going back to flats and hated it. I much prefer using SPDs.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I switched a few years ago.

I did so as I wanted to be able to start doing a bit more jumping and I felt more natural on flats.
    I liked being able to put a foot down if necessary
    I have weak knees and the twisting to release is bad for my knees especially when tired
    More than once I have fallen into the mud having failed to release my SPDs on the correct side

Northwind

monkeychild – Member

I tried going back to flats and hated it. I much prefer using SPDs.

The question I always ask is, how good a go did you give it? You can’t just jump from one to the other and expect to instantly get it, there’s some basics that need to be relearned sometimes and that means the first rides will probably suck- it’s like suddenly, you don’t know how to ride. You can’t compare the two unless you put serious time into both and work it all out.

(I think though this works both ways it goes more so for people going from SPDs to flats, but then the folks that have the most trouble with that swap are probably the folks with the most to gain)

Main thing is that if technique issues stop you from getting on with the other sorts of pedals, they’re technique issues that you still have when you go back to your own- whether it’s dabbing too much, or not moving well with the bike. Pretty much everyone can learn from swapping over.

philb88
    Free Member

Always ridden flats, but want to try SPDs for more XC & Climbs.

But with an ACL reconstruction I don’t want to be twisted up in my frame when I inevitable crash and the SPDs don’t release. Even if you decide to go for more XC ride it always ends up that you go down the sketchy bits too quickly and end up in the bushes/trees/ditch!

scotroutes

You could try the new Shimano Click’R pedals. They are supposed to release more easily.

ceepers

I started in flats but now I switch between the two depending on mood and how cold/ muddy it is since my flat shoes are warmer.

I’m riding a hard tail, according to strava there’s little difference in my speed descending on either. Where I notice the difference is putting power down on flatter sections. As it gets rougher and the hard rear of the bike bounces more it’s definitely easier to keep pedalling smoothly when clipped in. With flats I sometimes find my feet get bounced mid pedal and that upsets my pedal stroke.

darrenspink
    Free Member

I feel safe in spds (strange yes). Part of the bike and that. Although I am having to use flats on a jumps skills course so that will be interesting. Also flats are good for the family bike ride, strapping your spd shoes on and clipping in is way over the top.

downshep

Fashion doesn’t really feature for me. With SPDs, it’s fit and forget, just let the legs go round, no skiting off the pedal and scraping shin bones or rattling nuts off the top tube. Particularly useful on stuttery ground but certainly more tricky starting off on steep climbs. Ye pays yer money….

almightydutch
    Free Member

Baggies and spuds!!!! Are you taking the piss???? (and no I don’t care what a load of DH rider do)

breadcrumb

I’m currently trying out SPDs on my SS. Not really taking to it at the moment, I can see some flats going back on soon.

I want to get on with SPDs just for winter footwear choice.

iainc

Some great mixes of opinions, hugely informative so far, keep em coming !

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Baggies and spuds!!!! Are you taking the piss????

personally? for the last 20 years 😉

Cheezpleez

I’d agree that if you’re interested in improving technically and being able to use the best system for any particular ride then it’s worth trying – and persevering – with both. If not then just stick with what you like.

metalheart
    Free Member

About 8-10 years ago I didn’t manage to unclip in time at 0 mph and went over landing on tree stumps… One battered my leg (which bloody hurt!) and another the top tube denting it (one of the coke can Coves).

I decided to give caged spds a try but they are really the worst of both worlds. Worse to clip out of and sod all use if not properly clipped in (IMHO).

So about 5-6 years ago I decided to give flats another try. I only put them on for a couple rides really but liked them so much they stayed on (and got for my other bikes too). I was much happier on the techier stuff knowing it was easier to bail if necessary.

I’m much happier on flats, only using spds for commuting. Can’t see going back to spds full time off road.

Clip less always on the road bike though… :mrgreen:

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Right, fark it, as a spudder for 10 years or more, I’m for giving it a real go, I’m for giving flats the whole summer to convince me. I’ll decide after that. Post bookmarked.

bigdean

I found spd’s a revalation on rocky ground no more bouncing off the pedals on climbs, the extra bit you get from pulling on the up stroke when you need it.
    The rocky desents were a learing curve, but found with the spd’s wound to full loose you can dab like flats if needed.

johnnyboy666
    Free Member

I see lots of people disliking flats because they struggle to stay on them, someone even said you need shin pads to ride with them? I think this sums up the problem really, if you really can’t keep your feet on flats then you are lacking in your bike skills. I am no bad ass on a bike but to me this is technique that really should be learnt but I see a lot of people go atraight to spds to mask there lack of technique rather than persevere in order to get better. It always amazes me how many people jump to spds before they can even bunny hop. There is nothing wrong at all with using spds if you prefer them or use them on race days but using them because you can’t ride properly with flats is a bit of a cheat that wont do you any favours in the long run.

Bottom line riding properly on flats then deciding you prefer spds = cool.
    Not being able to ride flats and then using spds to mask this rather than getting better = not cool.

Just my opinion but I think any negative comments about spds stem from the above.

John

johnnyboy666
    Free Member

Some interesting reading on flat pedals and spds with regards to efficiency.

The Flat Pedal Revolution Manifesto: How to Improve Your Riding With Flat Pedals

daveh
    Free Member

I’ve got flats on my commuter bike as i find being able to get my foot quickly on the pedal and accelerate from lights/in traffic etc makes me feel much more in control and therefore safer. Im usually across and clear of the ‘road furniture’ of a junction before the waiting cars are, motorbike style. Tried spds for a day and hated it, if you’re going to clear the junction before the cars you need to be on your pedals and stomping straight away, 1 2 seconds soft pedal while you clip in isn’t going to do it. Stopped riding spds for MTB 5+ years ago.

tazzymtb

I dislike flats because they are heavy gumpy lumpy efforts. Why would I add more weight and less efficiency and power to my bikes? In the dim and distant past when I had gear danglers and lots of boing at both ends I found flats ok, but for ss weight weenie gunrning…hell no

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Those who say to ride flats you need to work on your techniques – well that argument works both ways – to ride SPD’s you also need technique and a lot of practice to become familiar and confident. I’ve only ever ridden clippless pedals, and before that old fashioned toe clips (on road bikes of course), and feel perfectly confident on them and can get out of them immediately and without thinking in the event that I need to bale or dab a foot down. I see no way whatsoever how flats would benefit me. I do small jumps and a lot of technical riding and occasionally might take on some DH runs. If I suddenly decided I wanted to start taking on 10ft gap jumps with mid-air tricks, I would make the change, but I can’t see that happening any time soon, I think i’ve missed the boat on that type of stuff.

I think the issue is that there are so many people new to biking over the past few years – its become trendy especially amongst the mid-life crisis set, where for most of them the last bike they rode was probably a Raleigh Burner or Grifter when they were kids before clip less pedals were even invented. Well they’re obviously not going to jump straight onto clippless pedals are they and probably won’t do enough riding to want to make the change and put in the practice to get used to them. This is exactly the case with a mate of mine. Last year he decided to take up cycling after never riding a bike since he was a small child, bought a road bike and an MTB. He rides clippless on his road bike but flats on his MTB. However it took him ages to get used to clippless on his road bike and he’s still a bit wary at road junctions so will never consider clippless on his MTB, he only gets out on his bikes a handful of times a year anyway.

Ultimately it doesn’t matter, just ride what you feel the most comfortable on. Is anyone going to tell Steve Peat he’d be better if he rode flats?

dunmail
    Free Member

I’ve got caged SPDs on my commuter so it’s almost best of both worlds: I don’t need to clip in to get away at junctions – strong leg is left clipped in with pedal at two o-clock, lights change, push on pedal, other foot on to other pedal and I’m away.

Flats are a system in the same way that SPDs are – you can’t simply get a set of flats and use any old shoe, you need a flats specific shoe. This is probably one reason why people struggle. You also need to be pushing in to the pedals more – SPDs let you relax when you aren’t actually pushing as you know that your shoe isn’t going to slip off the pedal.

epicyclo

Forget the flats/spd stuff, what we need is gloves that lock your hands on to the bars.

I won’t be getting them either. 🙂

myfatherwasawolf
    Free Member

To descend on rough terrain with flats you need to lower your seat IMO, otherwise you end up bouncing around on your bits. I used to used flats all the time for bmx, slalom, jumping etc, but for Xc and ‘normal riding’ it’s spds every time.

Macavity
    Free Member
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 116 total)

The topic ‘more people switching to flats for xc riding….’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts