Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • More PC semi-grief.
  • MrWoppit
    Free Member

In an attempt to get rid of Windows Messenger, I downloaded "Perfect Uninstaller" and gave it a go. When it got to the bit where it says "cough up the cash if you want to continue", I decided I wouldn't bother, said cash being in tight supply right now.

However, despite being able to delete most of the "P.U." files from the C drive, the final ".dll" file and the subject folder is password protected and won't let me.

I suppose, as it's only taking up 304kb of space and doesn't seem to adversely affect anything, I could live with it being there, but I'd like to zap it anyway 'cause it irritates me that someone can set this up and not allow me to say "no thanks" completely…

Any ideas?

Spongebob
    Free Member

Sometime these apps have an unistall button under the folder in you programs (from the start menu).

You'll have to get into CMD mode and run Regedit, find all offending items and remove them, but this is a high risk strategy.

With XP, in the uninstall programs menu, you can check a box to display on Windows OS programs and uninstall some of them. Windows Messenger is installed by default and can be removed coz i've done this several times. I assume this is what you were trying to get rid of, not MSN. If it was MSN proper, it will have been downloaded at some point since you got the PC and you will be able to unistall this without use of third party software.

andytherocketeer

I'd like to zap it anyway 'cause it irritates me that someone can set this up and not allow me to say "no thanks" completely

annoys me too*. virus scan companies were bad for this as well.

I select uninstall and relinquish all my rights under the licence. Why the heck can't they remove every last byte too? Every byte of HDD they use for their leftovers is intentional deprivation of my assets imho, even if it is tiny.

No idea how to rid that, but with mcaffee etc. I used to log in as admin and purge specific files I didn't like the look of in the Windows dir and regedit, but this is risky.

*except now I never use Windows, so it's not really an issue.

dawson

look for CCleaner – crap cleaner – http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/

do a scan with that and it should locate the orphaned file

you could try Revo uninstaller too – http://www.revouninstaller.com/

leffeboy

if it's a vista/7 system just do a system restore back to before you installed the stuff. Otherwise, as mentioned, ccleaner is pretty good

Cougar

Have you uninstalled it or just tried to delete it at a file level?

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Forgive Mr Thicky – how do I "uninstall" instead of just "delete"?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

under the programme itself or Control Panel Add/Remove programmes. Don't download things off the internet like that will end in a whole world of pain

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Once bitten, twice shy.

Cougar

Incidentally, you get rid of Windows Messenger in the same place; Under Add/Remove Programs there's a button for removing Windows components. Hit that and it'll give you a list including messenger (get rid of MSN Explorer whilst you're at it.)

It's worth being sceptical of any software that pertains to be a 'cleaner' or 'washer' or otherwise does a job that the system already does. Many are ineffective or can cause more problems than they solve.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘More PC semi-grief.’ is closed to new replies.