Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • More mysterious objects.
  • esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

What are these do you reckon? Made from some kind of bronze or copper maybe, found in the garden of a bungalow I lived in which was next to a disused limestone quarry.

Or these, found in my Grandads old toolbox. Theyr’e not bombs & if anyone says ‘buttplugs’ I need to know how you know!

thepurist

Some forum members would consider those top ones to be the perfect starting point for home brew bike parts. You know, the ones that look a bit like spoons…

BigEaredBiker
    Free Member

Looks like a Third Reich Eagle on one of them – you’ve found Goring’s shoe horn…

markrh
    Free Member

Was your grandad a plumber? the bottom two look like gimmels used to open up lead pipe when making a joint.

Top ones are probably for placing and tamping blasting charges. They are usually copper based to stop sparks which would ignite the charge and shoot the tamper out of the hole straight through your head. This happened to a man named Phineas Gage when he foolishly used an iron rod. He survived!

allthepies
    Free Member

long weight

ton

deffo butt plugs, and a pair of easerinners, for easing em in…… 😀

singletrackmind

Sabot cannon rounds?
    I know nothing about cannons.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

@thunderwingdoomslayer, that was actually mentioned yonks ago by someone, stands to reason being found next to a quarry.

@Ton, Dickhead. (I’m gonna ask your lass how you’d know) 😯

kayak23

Bottom ones plumb bobs?

brakes
    Free Member

the bottom ones are North Korean ICBMs

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Bottom ones plumb bobs?

There’s no holes to attach any string.

frankconway

Bottom pic could be finials.

alanl
    Free Member

The top two, I used to use very similar tools for sand moulding in foundries. Had 4 or 5, of different sizes. in fact I’ve still got them, just in case I ever go back to it, I’ve been out of it for 21 years now!

kayak23

esselgruntfuttock – Member
    Bottom ones plumb bobs?
    There’s no holes to attach any string

I’ve used a brass one where the string just wrapped around and you let out however much you needed.

Probably not though..

maccruiskeen

The top two, I used to use very similar tools for sand moulding in foundries

yep – could the the bottom ones be some sort of rammer* for sand moulds as well

* oo-er

similar to this sort of thing

globalti
    Free Member

Send the top photos to the museum of mining in Earby or any other mining museum.

Edit: The Earby museum’s collection has been given to the Dales Countryside Museum: http://www.dalescountrysidemuseum.org.uk/

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

The Earby museum’s collection has been given to the Dales Countryside Museum:

Even better, I’ll take them myself once they open again!

andyl
    Free Member

Top ones are probably for placing and tamping blasting charges. They are usually copper based to stop sparks which would ignite the charge and shoot the tamper out of the hole straight through your head. This happened to a man named Phineas Gage when he foolishly used an iron rod. He survived!

That makes sense, cool! They just look like beefed up lab spatulas (we normally use much thinner stainless steel ones).

muddy_bum
    Free Member

The bottom picture could be Pipe Organ Tuning Cones. Are the flat ends hollow or solid?

The top picture is probably quarry tools as others have suggested. Maybe for clearing the dust out of holes for splitting the rocks.

muddy_bum
    Free Member

plyphon
    Free Member

Muddy_bum, apt user name. Fine collection of butt plugs you’ve posted there, also.

unovolo
    Free Member

The bottom ones appear to be Giants Nose piercings, have checked for encrusted snot.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Looks like them muddy_bum, no idea what they were doing in Grandads toolbox though!

maccruiskeen

no idea what they were doing in Grandads toolbox though!

He was the perpetrator of the Great Train Robbery Pipe Organ Tuning Cone Heist

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘More mysterious objects.’ is closed to new replies.