• This topic has 181 replies, 93 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by will.
Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 182 total)
  • more moeny than skills…..
  • Oli-B
    Free Member

If the cap fits…..

Three_Fish
    Free Member

See my post two posts above yours.

I don't make the rules.

Your post two above mine didn't explain why one should reasonably expect someone with a bike of a particular value to be of a standard not too far below the relative cost of the bike. It explained why some people might expect such a thing, but it was in no way reasonable. There are countless other factors that one could reason into such a question.

Oli-B
    Free Member

A reasonable view is generally that defined by the majority. My post explained that there is a strong indication that the majority view supports my assertion.

loulouk
    Free Member

I don't think I know enough about bikes yet to see from looking at something how much it cost. Which is possibly skewing my opinion here. My bike cost a whole tonne of money to me. If theirs cost 2.5 times that, well, I guess they got lucky. But I don't begrudge them that, and at least they're not sat in a garage doing nothing, which frankly applies to too many people I know and their expensive toys. I don't earn a lot, so I bought what I could make the repayments on after having my £300 quid GT Outpost nicked. *shrugs*
    I don't doubt they expected to get laughed at when they posted it, but I doubt this was the kind of laughter they were expecting.

grahamt1980

I thought they were having a right laugh, anyway whats wrong with crashing its fun

Drac

A reasonable view is generally that defined by the majority. My post explained that there is a strong indication that the majority view supports my assertion.

Yet a majority on this thread agree it's a bunch of lads enjoying a day out on bikes, riding ok and then falling off sometimes. But a handful seem quick enough to judge them saying "Oooh your not good enough for that bike get off!".

benji_allen
    Free Member

My post explained that there is a strong indication that the majority view supports my assertion.

I think the majority of the other posts on here suggest otherwise.

benji_allen
    Free Member

Beat me to it!

redthunder
    Free Member

@southernyeti

Apollo Outrage and a Dawes Kingpin [1968].

😉

Some random pix from the web.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Oli B I support your view!

Too many times have a seen a spanking BMW turn up in a car park for a DH uplift day and proud parent helps their youngster get out a bike worth as much as many peoples car.
    Fine, I don't care, but don't expect all the other youngsters riding beaten old hard tails zip tied and duct taped together, who repeatedly thrash him down the hill, to not be pi55ing themselves at the walking embodiment of 'all the gear and no idea'.

ojom
    Free Member

Mo moeny, Mo problems.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

redthunder 😯 hahahahaha

Drac

Too many times have a seen a spanking BMW turn up in a car park for a DH uplift day and proud parent helps their youngster get out a bike worth as much as many peoples car.

But that's not what you seeing on that video is it, far from it. To be in that view that have to be crawling down the hill dragging their brakes and dabbing every few feet. Not going balls out into and occasionally misjudging.

oldgrump08
    Free Member

A few people on here about to disappear up their own fundamentals (as usual).
    Buy what the hell you want, ride it how you like, post the video – they're having fun. Not awestruck at them, but really don't get where Olib et al are coming from. Strange world you inhabit, not one I'm keen to get to know any better….
    Bet you check out the bike before choosing whether to acknowledge the rider out on the trails 😉

sam_commencal
    Free Member

Great that they are having fun and getting out there, but they could have spent money learning some skills and saved some cash on the bikes – would probably have had more a lot more fun overall…
    Hard to disagree the video doesn't fall into the 'all the gear no idea' category…

Oli-B
    Free Member

Yet a majority on this thread agree it's a bunch of lads enjoying a day out on bikes, riding ok and then falling off sometimes.

Which is fine, but there's no need to act so outraged that anyone could find people riding expensive bikes badly funny.

If you've honestly never at least had a little snigger when you've seen someone turn up for something with loads of expensive gear only for them to be rubbish, you're clearly a much better person than me.

oldgrump08
    Free Member

'If you've honestly never at least had a little snigger when you've seen someone turn up for something with loads of expensive gear only for them to be rubbish, you're clearly a much better person than me.'

That says it all. I'm off.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

DRAC – I think that even Oli himself commends those lads for

having a go

, and they certainly are chucking themselves down the hill.

I felt that the majority view that Oli was putting forward was that of 'all the gear no idea', whether in the context of the vid or not.

grahamt1980

I don't agree sam.
    Looking at some of the riding there is nothing wrong with it, esp. the bloke in the black and green (i think) top, the others are trying. There is far more to learning by going out and crashing than just getting skills courses, personally I have been on 2 courses and now learn a huge amount more by pushing my limits and I have had loads of stupid crashes like the ones they have in the video, its not difficult to lose concentration for a fraction of a second and slide off the track

Drac

Which is fine, but there's no need to act so outraged that anyone could find people riding expensive bikes badly funny.

That's the point they weren't exactly bad riders, they did ok.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

its not difficult to lose concentration for a fraction of a second and slide off the track

😯

Drac

DRAC – I think that even Oli himself commends those lads for

Yeah he did that for sure.

drop a shed load of cash on fancy bikes when you're basically pretty terrible at riding,

riding bikes of a quality well beyond their riding skill,

grahamt1980

The Southern Yeti – Member

its not difficult to lose concentration for a fraction of a second and slide off the track

How is that difficult to believe? Watch the world cups for proof

Three_Fish
    Free Member

A reasonable view is generally that defined by the majority.

Not at all. Reason is defined by the use of reason, always. There are way, way too many assumptions in all of your posts regarding this matter; too many to suggest that the use of reason has played anything more than a minor role in your forming of assertions.

At this point I step back on the advice of an old saying:

Never argue with a fool: they'll only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience every time.

I'm off…

Oli-B
    Free Member

The Southern Yeti is absolutely right: I do indeed applaud them for "getting out there and doing it". Fair play.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

This thread seems to have hit on some sensitivty from both sides of the camp.

Some people clearly seem to have been envious of others having the very best kit and have thought to themselves 'I could be so much better / be having even more fun, if I had that bike'.

The other side of the camp seem to have seen the video and thought 'I have the bike, but don't have that much fun'. Or maybe deeper it has struck us that some of the pleasure we get out of biking, isn't the riding but it is simply derived from the act of owning an expensive toy and through this thread have been forced to question the rationale of our passion.

GavinB

Sorry, gotta ask..

Why do you guys bite so hard on the bait the trolls leave?

Alpin made a pretty stupid comment about some guys having fun on a biking holiday. Three pages later, he hasn't responded, and you're still bitching about how come somebody that is possibly riding a better bike than you.

🙄

Drac

Why do you guys bite so hard on the bait the trolls leave?

Troll!

Oli-B
    Free Member

Well, Three_fish, you've succeeded in raising a smile from me. That old cliche never tires does it?

At this point I'd talk about ethical codes and their role in law-making, but since he's gone anyway, I'll spare my keyboard the wear and tear!

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

graham1980 you're funny!

grahamt1980

one tries

singlespeedstu

Just one little point some of you lot seem to me missing.

You can never judge how much fun someone's having by what bike they're on or how fast they're riding it.

backhander
    Free Member

Who the **** are we to judge what someone rides or should ride?
    A fair bit of jealousy and bitterness coming from some corners here.
    I enjoyed the vid and like the fact that they're enjoying themselves and aren't too up themselves to edit out the spills.

titusrider
    Free Member

jesus well i didnt expect my quick response would get such a reaction!
    They clearly have some way to go in terms of riding skill but ok fair play to them for getting out and having fun.
    in terms of all the gear and no idea i've got pretty much no opinion on it. ive got all the gear and an idea and i think people shouldnt judge until you see the rider riding what they love and even if they are doing badly i would aim to help rather than giggle.

redthunder
    Free Member

1000 post thread 🙂

simonralli2
    Free Member

Personally I think that you should only be allowed to ride a £1000+ bike if you can track stand at traffic lights

Runs………………..

redthunder
    Free Member

You should also only be allowed to ride a bike….. only if you pay road tax.

Also, bravely runs away 😉

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

You should only be allowed to ride a £1000+ bike if you have to make at least a 200 mile round trip to use it properly!

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I hope this is a troll, 'cos it's one of the better ones of recent. Either way, I'd be well chuffed if I could ride downhill as fast as some of those guys. My money is on one of them being Alpin 😆

Bike + hills + crash = fun

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 182 total)

The topic ‘more moeny than skills…..’ is closed to new replies.