• This topic has 181 replies, 93 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by will.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 182 total)
  • more moeny than skills…..
  • ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

mojo5pro – Member

Alpin does seem to a have a bit of a penchant for inverted snobbery. This is not his first post criticising people if he thinks the rider is not up to the standard of the bike. Not good form if you're a mountain bike guide gaining a living out of these people.

But how experienced a guide is he? He does come across as a bit up himself. The only guide I've met like that was last on the climbs and held everyone up on going down or anything remotely technical. Some people crave adulation I guess, maybe that is his motivation for being a guide… I'm really interested in who he is going to guide for and what type of riding.

Good little video. Some guys having a laugh on bikes. Hardly more money than sense. I think Alpin has a bit of a chip on his shoulder or ego problem. I can see people flocking to ride with him…… 😐

druidh
    Free Member

What is alpins guiding company called? I'd hate to accidentally make a booking with them.

Jellybaby
    Free Member

ha ha that vid did make me chuckle especially the guy who fell over the bars on that tight bend 😆 They have more bottle than i do throwing themselves around the trails so fast. I wouldn't dare ride with them i'd kill myself but id defo watch more of their vids.

Havin' a laugh is what its all about!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    BobaFatt
    Free Member

Plenty of pretty good riding on there, and they're clearly not embarrassed about their spills, otherwise they probably wouldn't have posted the video; so what's with the scorn? Where do you run your MTB Guides from, Alpin? I need to make sure that nobody I know ever makes use of your services, lest they spend their time being ridiculed or sneered at behind their back.

I totally agree, at least they're not shy over their mistakes

bol

Good vid; missjudged post. It's that sort of snobbery that I'm sure puts a lot of people off pushing themselves.

DaveVanderspek
    Free Member

So is "Freeride" just riding regular xc trails, but with full face helmets & a load of padding?

oldgrump08
    Free Member

To be fair some of the tumbles they take in the vid warrant more armour than an xc ride!

loulouk
    Free Member

The sound tracks says '3,2,1 and have fun'. They look like they're having a whole hell of a lot of it. Who the hell cares? They're pushing themselves and trying to get better. How else are you sposed to? You don't need body armour when you're leet, you need body armour when you're just starting to learn where the limits of your own skills and bikes are. If I ride tomorrow with half the attitude this lot have, I'd be proud. More money than sense? More fun than money :O)

Diane
    Free Member

Bless – think i might have done a bit of editing though

Oli-B
    Free Member

Fair play to them for having a go, but if you're going to drop a shed load of cash on fancy bikes when you're basically pretty terrible at riding, you sort of open yourself up for criticism.

The term "all the gear, no idea" is a derogatory term for a reason, no matter whether others on here would care to admit it or not.

I'm not convinced that using bodyarmour as a crutch for your lack of riding skill is necessarily the best idea either….

Drac

We all start some where or were you born a demon rider?

TheSwede
    Free Member

Brilliant. Haven't laughed so much in ages.

Oli-B
    Free Member

Yes, we do all need to start somewhere, just generally not on £1000+ bikes!

Drac

Why not if they have the spare cash then they can get what they want. Bunch of mates having fun on bikes, awesome.

dasnut
    Free Member

love the way the 2nd guy has to avoid a chicken on the "run in"

Drac

Guess he took the chicken run.

Oli-B
    Free Member

Absolutely. I couldn't agree more. Their money, their choice.

But equally, if they choose to stick a video on the internet of them riding bikes of a quality well beyond their riding skill, it's sort of to be expected that people will point and laugh.

juan
    Free Member

Ok so, oli an,d alpin can you please enlight me about how I should spend my cahs on bikes regarding my skills please… i'd ahte to be a AGNI…
    Mind you there is french saying:
    On est tous le con de quelqu'un…
    Maybe we are all someone (somebody) else's AGNI…
    If you're down to the 06 alpin please by all mean give me a shout. I have friends with very expensive bike, maybe you could rate how much of AGNI they are…

And can we know what guiding company you work for…

Drac

Riding beyond their skill? I'd say pushing themselves a little more to get better and encouraged by all but 3 of you who must be riding legends.

Oli-B
    Free Member

Juan,

As already established, I couldn't give two hoots how you spend your money.

However, if you don't want people to judge you and your choices regarding how you spend your money, don't go shoving videos of yourself on the internet.

P.s. I'm not sure there's a need for "that word" regardless of what language it's in.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Yes, we do all need to start somewhere, just generally not on £1000+ bikes!

It's all relative. If they come from families with lots of coin, then it's likely that they're going to be getting pricey bikes in the same way the get the latest computer/games stuff, shoes/clothes/whatever.

Knowing what I know now, I'd have loved to have started riding on a high-end bike that worked well. Should we all start out on a £150 craptastic full-suspension from Tesco (or whatever the German equivalent is)? To me, it makes perfect sense to start on the very best you (or whoever's paying!) can afford. If that happens to be a £2000 DH bike, then so be it.

lowey

I reckon they were pissed.

Oli-B
    Free Member

Drac,

You've misinterpreted me: I'm not saying they're riding beyond their skill (I'm not, however, saying that they're not either!), I'm saying that one might reasonably expect someone with a bike of a particular value to be of a standard not too far below the relative cost of the bike. IMHO, this is not the case here.

I am merely trying to present some balance to the discussion in response to those of you who are showing a degree of pious indignation that anyone could possibly be anything less than awestruck by a video posted on the internet of people riding expensive bikes badly.

Oli-B
    Free Member

Three_Fish:

See above post regarding my views on people spending their own money as they please.

singlespeedstu

lowey – Member

I reckon they were pissed.

Nah.

If they were pished they'd have riden betterer.

Drac

I'm saying that one might reasonably expect someone with a bike of a particular value to be of a standard not too far below the relative cost of the bike. IMHO, this is not the case here.

I can't see how the value of a bike has anything to do with the skill level of the rider, unless you completely shallow.

redthunder
    Free Member

Looked fun 🙂 That's what it's all about in'it?

loulouk
    Free Member

Not awestruck, it's funny :O) But I still think fair play to them for trying. Yours, a £1k bike owner who is now going to crawl under a rock and never ride it again for fear someone will come along next time I'm flat on my back and laugh their ass of at me as they ride off on a perfect line into the distance. On a supermarket bike. With no body armour.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

I've got two expensive, £2000+ bikes but ride like a drunken chimp – should i never touch them again in case twunts like alpin get offended?

singlespeedstu

muddydwarf.

get an entry for SSUK 2010 you'll feel right at home. 8)

Oli-B
    Free Member

As already pointed out, "all the gear, no idea" is a well know derogatory phrase. By extension, we can deduce that it is not a commonly held value system that spending inordinately large amounts of money on something that you are not suitably good at is just fine.

What constitutes an inordinately large amount of money or being suitably good is obviously a matter of opinion.

redthunder
    Free Member

I'm selling my bikes now 🙁 Alpen made me ;-(

Three_Fish
    Free Member

…one might reasonably expect someone with a bike of a particular value to be of a standard not too far below the relative cost of the bike.

Why might one reasonably expect such a thing?

Oli-B
    Free Member

Loulouk, Muddydwarf,

Do what you please, but I'd personally advise against posting videos of yourself on the internet if you don't wish to be judged.

Hell, bask in the warm feeling that you've earned enough money to be able to mess with other people's value systems if you really want! 😆

singlespeedstu

Some of you expensive bike intollerent folks should go to an MX meeting to understand the true meaning of all the gear no idea…

Oli-B
    Free Member

Three_fish,

See my post two posts above yours.

I don't make the rules.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

£1000? I'm sure I saw a ti-spring on one of those bikes, now spend what you like but if you're not a serious (and competent) racer that is a case of fashion over function and IMO will make you look a bit of a prick, unless you're one of the fastest on the hill.

benji_allen
    Free Member

What are the rules?

dasnut
    Free Member

I'm saying that one might reasonably expect someone with a bike of a particular value to be of a standard not too far below the relative cost of the bike.

so if you're crap you ride a cheap bike, if you're very skilled you ride an expensive one?

I may suggest that the users of this very forum fly in the face of that statement

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

redthunder – what bikes you selling then?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 182 total)

The topic ‘more moeny than skills…..’ is closed to new replies.