Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • More media manufactured issues?
  • ditch_jockey
    Free Member

Prince Andrew

Followed a few links through the Beeb relating to the latest ‘scandal’, and it all seems to be about a 10 year old picture and his association with someone who has been convicted as a paedo.

While I don’t have any great sympathy or loyalty for the UK royals, I do feel uncomfortable with the idea that someone can be tainted by association with someone else’s criminal activity, especially given no one seems to be suggesting that Andrew’s a paedophile. We know he’s a serial shagger, but it’s not like that’s a recent revelation!

grum
    Free Member

it all seems to be about a 10 year old picture and his association with someone who has been convicted as a paedo.

Yeah, I mean what’s wrong with being mates with a convicted paedophile and regularly going round to their place for ‘massages’? 😐

Earlier this week it emerged that the Duke enjoyed “daily massages” paid for by Epstein when he stayed at his Florida home. In 2001 he also had his picture taken with his arm around the waist of a 17-year-old “masseuse” who later accused Epstein of sexual exploitation.

Nothing seedy about that I’m sure. 😐

wwaswas

just saw this on twitter;

Prince Andrew has been downgraded to Prince Edward. Prince Edward has had a move sideways to Chief Corgi.

made me smile…

sas
    Free Member

Media in over-sensationalised story shocker. At least he hasn’t actually been demonised for something he didn’t do, unlike Chris Jefferies.

LHS
    Free Member

They’ve been wanting to get rid of that embarrassment for ages, just looking for an excuse.

kimbers

while i dont doubt that theres plenty of sensationalism going on the guys certainly not afraid to hang out with some questionable people, although thats as much a result of our foreign policy where dealing with totalitarian dictators, corupt regiemes and paedophiles is fine as long as it leads to uk trade deals.

grum
    Free Member

dealing with totalitarian dictators, corupt regiemes and paedophiles is fine as long as it leads to uk trade deals.

Yup, and usually arms deals too.

kimbers

well camerons just made a statement saying he has his full support

i give him a week in the job

bravohotel8er
    Free Member

I’m broadly in favour of monarchy, if for no other reason than because our political class have proven so inadequate in recent years.

However, Andrew does not appear to have grasped the fact that the pay- off for our continued bank rolling of his lifestyle, is that he represents UK PLC to the best of his inability and avoid causing us any unnecessary embarrassment.

He’s utterly failed on that count. Like it or not, but we are all judged by the company we keep and much more so if you’re a public figure. He has some nasty friends and this particular individual has engaged in some pretty nefarious activities.

New revelations concerning the receipt of cash gifts on behalf of the Duchess of York damages him further still. The man is a loose cannon and should be stood down before he does any further damage.

glenp
    Free Member

Sold his house for 3 million over it’s valuation to Kazaks he is doing business with? Hmm.

Oh, by the way, the house that was given to him gratis – in other words paid for us by us.

kimbers

to be honest hague seems like more of a liability lately
    i dont think hes necessarily a bad chap but this seems like a bit of a balls up
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12665575

Cougar

…is association with someone who has been convicted as a paedo.

Jeffrey Epstein was convicted of hiring a prostitute, not of being a nonce.

kimbers

– an underage prostitute- 17 although he paid off other prostitues including

The legal drama began in 2005, when a young woman who gave Mr. Epstein massages at his Palm Beach mansion told the local police about the encounter. She was 14 at the time, and was paid $200.

chakaping
    Free Member

Not a defence of the press, but I bet they know LOADS more about him than they’re allowed to print right now.

Hopefully it’ll come out in time for the wedding.

Cougar

– an underage prostitute-

… who lied about her age, he didn’t know. (And how long has 17 been under age?)

stevious

I thought the reason he’s being demonised just now is that he’s been employed (using tax money) to be a trade ambassador and he’s really not very good at it. All of this ‘scandal’ is most likely engineered as a way to fire him without the govt looking like they’re unsympathetic to the royals.

Cougar

Anyway, regardless. There was an 11-month undercover sting which ended up in front of a grand jury, and the only thing they found him guilty of was soliciting prostitution. You can “ah, but” as much as you like, it doesn’t make him a kiddie-fiddler.

Not that I’m particularly defending the man, he sounds like slime. But let’s get the facts right here.

The story is “Prince Andrew is under fire for knowing someone who hired a prostitute.” I can only assume it was a slow news day.

Cougar

All of this ‘scandal’ is most likely engineered

Well, quite.

kimbers

sorry the girl in question was 14 and im sure he checked her ID thoroughly

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/theroyalfamily/8365019/Jeffrey-Epstein-profile.html

Cougar

sorry the girl in question was 14 and im sure he checked her ID thoroughly

… and lied about her age.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeffrey_Epstein

MrsToast
    Free Member

… who lied about her age, he didn’t know. (And how long has 17 been under age?)

Age of consent in Florida is 18. Which you think would make him especially careful about the age of his hookers. Or maybe that’s unfair, and the Florida sun was particularly ageing to all of those 13-17 year olds…

PJay
    Free Member

That’s genetics for you.

crazy-legs

You’re all linking to the wrong papers…

Daily Mash

😉

Cougar

Age of consent in Florida is 18.

Good point, well made. So sex with a 17-yr old would be ‘underage sex,’ it’s hardly pedophillia though, you could be married and carrying your second child at that age over here.

Junkyard
    Free Member

who lied about her age, he didn’t know

i am sure that defence would be believed in court and accepted by fathers of 14 year old girls everywhere.
    the age of consent here is of no issue when you are a USA citizen having sex in the uk – perhaps he forgot where he was?
    Can i do some taliban style enforcement and cite their laws as defence?
    Still lets have an argument about when a convicted sex offender actually becomes a bad man. paedo under age sex procuring prostitution etc Cougar you have a point but look at what yu are defending. he may be slightly higher up the pond slime than a paedo but seriously do you want him round for coffee or ebing mates of a UK ambassador?

bravohotel8er
    Free Member

Cougar – Member

Age of consent in Florida is 18.

Good point, well made. So sex with a 17-yr old would be ‘underage sex,’ it’s hardly pedophillia though,

Actually, it is!

One of my cases at the moment is a guy who was involved in a sexual relationship with a 15 year old when he was 19. The ‘But, we’re both teenagers’ line didn’t do him any good…there’s even less justification when there’s a 3/4 decade age gap.

Junkyard
    Free Member

paedophilia is technically pre pubescent children so cougar has a point. re age here under 14 is an absolute offence – no dicretion you get prosecuted. 14- age of consent can depend ie would we prosecute 2 15 year olds for this if they both “consented”. course not we give them contraception. Age will be a factor a 17 yr old with a 175 yr old is less likely to be charged than a 49 yr old with a 15 yr old though both are offences. Either way andys mate likes young girls and is not too fussy re ID. I would not be mates with them FWIW

Edukator
    Free Member

n June 18, 2010 Epstein’s former butler Alfredo Rodriguez was sentenced to 18 months in jail for trying to sell a journal that recorded Epstein’s activities.

One law for the rich and another for the poor. That’s the US for you.

Cougar

i am sure that defence would be believed in court

Actually, it was, by a Grand Jury no less. Which is my point.

look at what yu are defending.

I’m not defending anyone, I’m simply saying let’s try and ascertain what the facts are rather than using “ZOMG TEH PRINSE AND TEH PEEDO” to form an opinion about whether Andrew is suitable for whatever task he’s currently under fire for.

Cougar

at the moment is a guy who was involved in a sexual relationship with a 15 year old when he was 19.

Out of interest, where would he have stood if she’d lied about her age and he’d believed her?

Junkyard
    Free Member

the facts drom your link are

Jeffrey Edward Epstein (born January 20, 1953 in Coney Island, New York) is an American financier and philanthropist. He served 13 months in jail of an 18-month sentence as a convicted sex offender for soliciting an underage girl for prostitution, is a registered sex offender,[1] and remains under investigation by the FBI over allegations of involvement with underage girls.[2][3][4]

surely these are the facts he is a convicted sex odfender – so nto beleived in court then- for soliciting underage sex from minors.

So andrew is mates with a convicted sex offender – do you want a person of such judgement, to be mates with this man, representing your country?
    Not really anon story but yes the usual hyperbole

bravohotel8er
    Free Member

Cougar – Member

at the moment is a guy who was involved in a sexual relationship with a 15 year old when he was 19.

Out of interest, where would he have stood if she’d lied about her age and he’d believed her?

Good question and not one that I can provide a definitive answer to.

The onus of responsibility tends to lie with the older party. This particular scenario was fairly open and shut though, it concerned a 4th form classmate of his younger sister so he couldn’t plausibly claim to have been mislead.

Junkyard
    Free Member

a jury would decide if they believed you did not know assuming the police/CPS decide to precute.if you met in a pub for example you would have more of a case than if you collected her/him from school etc.
    the victim would probably need to agree to testify against you.

Cougar

he couldn’t plausibly claim to have been mislead.

Oh, no, I figured that from your initial statement. I was just curious hypothetically really (as it’s ostensibly what this Epstein idiot’s defence was).

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘More media manufactured issues?’ is closed to new replies.