Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • More linux question
  • juan
    Free Member

Anyone one knows if the ATI drivers for lunix will support the Open GL 3D?
    Thinking of a suse/gunbutu/mandrake

Cheers

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Most ATI cards are supported via X11, but that's mainly accelerated 2D. However, ATI also provide non open source drivers so if you know the card, check the AMD web site

grahamb
    Free Member

Depends how old your GFX card is & how much 3D support you need.

If your card is recently new (r500, r600, r700 etc) & if performance is your #1 consideration then go for the closed source ATI driver & their stack.

If you have an older card or if you're happy going with open source solution then you're best off finding something that's tracking Dave Airlie's work. That's being pushed into Fedora (in "mesa-dri-drivers-experimental"), but i think other distro's are re-packaging it.

I'm running the bleeding edge experimental drivers from koji on f12 with a 4870 dual screen & it's working really nicely.

TBH, you're best off going searching around in the Phoronix forums for an answer.

juan
    Free Member

Graham thanks for that I'll have a look.

Not too bothered by the dual screen.

However I need the Open GL. Anyway I'll have a look on the AMD and Phoroniw wbesite.

grahamb
    Free Member

Juan, the original Phoronix article is here, and the forum discussion including (iirc) some mention of how to get it working on Ubumgo is linked at the top (or here. The article is a couple of months old now – they test it on the f12 beta. I'm sure if you go hunting round their forums you'll find a newer discussion.

If you go down the Fedora route (you never know, you might like it 😉 you can get the latest f12 driver from koji, currently this one. You'll need some of the other packages in that directory to satisfy install dependencies, depending on what packages you have installed.

Russell96

Howto on the various ATI driver options for various distros here >>

http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Main_Page

Worked a charm when I used the ATI provided driver with Ubuntu 9.10

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘More linux question’ is closed to new replies.