Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • More legal advice re tenancy agreement please
  • brooess
    Free Member

I read and signed my copy, gave it to the lettings agent to get it signed by landlord and send me a pdf for my files
    first they send me a pdf of my signed version but no landlord signature on it – which presumably means it’s just a piece of paper rather than a contract as one of the parties has failed to sign it.
    So I ask for them to get it signed by the landlord and send me a pdf of that.
    So they send me a version signed by the landlord but not signed by me. So again, presumably this is just a piece of paper as it’s not signed by me…

I assume that anything less than a single version of the contract signed by both parties fails to be a contract – is that right, or can two separate versions signed seperately by each party count as a signed contract (if the wording of the contract is 100% the same)

thehustler
    Free Member

Print off and sign pdf copy send them a copy of this back, problem solved

brooess
    Free Member

Print off and sign pdf copy send them a copy of this back, problem solved

That’s clever 🙂

Does mean I have to spend time proof-reading to check it’s the same wording… just because the lettings agent are under-par in the IQ dept…

midlifecrashes

If the landlord or their agent have given you the keys or otherwise possession of the flat after you sign a contract provided by them, their agreement to the contract can be very strongly inferred from that action and is not likely to be in question. I agree it’s a bit messy though.

Easier for all round for the letting agent to sign it, and have a line in the contract/T&Cs between landlord and agent allowing this.

Edit: IANAL(awyer), IAAL(andlord)

DanW
    Free Member

Does mean I have to spend time proof-reading to check it’s the same wording… just because the lettings agent are under-par in the IQ dept…

Yes proof read!

Things like this seem to be more about Lettings Agents being incompetent rather than trying to gain anything. Sign the version with the Landlord’s signature (having proof read it) then take it in and get a photocopy there and then. That should probably solve everything for now

(serial tennant, not a lettings agent or expert in law 😉 )

toys19
    Free Member

wierd though, I get everyone together and we all sign two copies, together…

peterfile
    Free Member

Does the copy you’ve signed say “counterpart” on it?

Does it say anywhere in the lease that it can be signed in counterpart (check near the end of the document)?

What sort of lease is it (AST?)

Are you in England?

matt_outandabout

My contract has to be signed by both parties and a witness. I sign two copies there and then, and keep one and hand one to tenent. Simple.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘More legal advice re tenancy agreement please’ is closed to new replies.