Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • More job dilemma – is Birmingham an acceptable place to live?
  • takisawa2

No,no you wouldn't like Lichfield.
    Its horrible.
    Stay well away.
    Awful place.
    😉

ourmaninthenorth

Lichfield – houses look cheap…not..!

samuri
    Free Member

Personally, I'd ditch Birmingham myself. It's shit to be frank. And it's full of brummies. Plus you live right next to some great hills now, the velodrome is just round the corner and you're in a cycling club you love, yes? No brainer.

scruff
    Free Member

Right. K'ford is not Brum, we have sorted that. Good music scene round there and good beer. People round there are really nice, alot of housing is standard suburban pre/post war stuff, not too inspiring, Wolvo does have some good bits, but not too many.

J2 on the M5 (and all roads around) is pretty bad traffic and oldbury isnt a great place, although it does have a Toys r Us. I wouldn't live anywhere in the M5/M6 corridor betwen M5 J3 and the M54. Its pretty much all urban part-decay and new housing /shopping tedium built on old factory sites. Traffic everywhere is generally v bad in rush hour, but black county route is OK once you can get to it.

iDave- I now live on top of a hill. Can I get a nice unisex scarf to keep me warm?

snakebite
    Free Member

up early…on duty?

rOcKeTdOg

U'll get a lovely pork scratching (even the hairy ones yum!) from where they are made and the beer is awesome

RoterStern
    Free Member

A lot of people I know in Shropshire commute to Brum. Both rail and car networks are excellent apart from the infamous M6/M5 jct but if the traffic is good you can get into the centre in 40 minutes. If you live near the M54 you have the Shropshire hills at your disposal and you are only an hour's drive from the North Wales trail centres.

emac65
    Free Member

ourmaninthenorth – Member
    Lichfield – houses look cheap…not..!

Try looking in Burntwood,10 minutes down the road & houses are at least 50K cheaper on a like for like basis.oh & it's much nicer too imho 😉

singlespeedstu

U'll get a lovely pork scratching (even the hairy ones yum!) from where they are made

I don't think he'd want to live in Tipton. 😉

neilb67
    Free Member

Wouldn't catch me living in Burntwood. I've heard about the locals….. 😉

emac65
    Free Member

Neil, once you get the initiation ceremonies out of the way we're not that bad,honest…
    So when are you moving to Sleepy Hollow then

z1ppy

yep bit of a weird location problem there, K'ford doesn't exactly have the best access from Brum and if you move too local to K'ford you'll then have issues getting to J2 later.
    I commuted in to K'ford from Brum for 3 years it's possible but get ready to sit in (slow but moving) queues, I now live in the countryside outside K'ford and commute using the M5, and it's not much better getting to the M5 juntion.

That said, I thought I'd never find some-where I'd want to live other than my original south of Brum village location (Ullenhall), i was wrong it's lovely over here and better/more riding.
    Location wise I think maybe some-where like Bromsgrove (south of J3, as per Scruff post) may be worth looking at, it'd give you the best of all world, easy-ish access to K'ford, next to J4 to commute to J2 and easy access into Brum (it's not that bad a place) & in the countryside.

neilb67
    Free Member

emac65 – Member
    Neil, once you get the initiation ceremonies out of the way we're not that bad,honest…
    So when are you moving to Sleepy Hollow then

January….

Bat1
    Free Member

K'ford is Nice
    You can get the countryside within a mile …Some nice bike routes out into the country.
    Is the Job your Dream?

The Black country is ok …..

anagallis_arvensis

Kingswinford, thats not Brum its what the posh people call Dudley isnt it? StratoBiker's advice is good. I grew up in Belbroughton which is surrounded by really nice countryside and 30mins from Birmingham City Centre. Birmingham as a city is as nice/horrid as Manchester depending on how you view cities. I know I'm biased but the western fringes of Brum are the nicest. From good riding straight out of the door from Belbroughton/Clent area or Kidderminster, close to Wales for proper great riding. All in all maybe not as good as Manchester for riding but not as bad as you may think.

MrsToast
    Free Member

Wouldn't catch me living in Burntwood. I've heard about the locals…..

Now now, the high schools only get firebombed very rarely!

MicArms

Lived in wordsley as a kid(Next to K'ford) and now back at Bromsgrove for the last 10 years ( after 13 years here there and everywhere). I like the area, 100 metres from my door it's nice countryside. Bromsgrove is Junction 4 of the M5 so no probs there for driving to work, or if the centre of Brum, about 50 mins.( riding there is 1hour 15mins.) Also good riding @ Lickeys( 10 mins by car), Clent( 20 Mins) and the wyre.(30 mins).

Hope this helps…

emac65
    Free Member

Wouldn't catch me living in Burntwood. I've heard about the locals…..

Now now, the high schools only get firebombed very rarely!

Yes,but look how nice they are now…… 8)

Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘More job dilemma – is Birmingham an acceptable place to live?’ is closed to new replies.