Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • More help required
  • johnj2000
    Free Member

*big sigh* am getting to the point where I am going to have to go to the LBS with a sheepish look on my face.
    Attempt to build up my Whippet frame is throwing issue after issue. A the weekend it was the forks and head set but got that sorted with the help of you guys, today it is brakes and bottom bracket. Lets start with the brakes:

So I have a set of oldish XT disc brakes, I built up an old GT frame with them recently just for a mess around and had no trouble, today I went to fit them to the forks and frame and everything was in the wrong place??? Is there a chance I need some kind of bracket to make it work?

KCNC press fit Bottom bracket, haven’t actually tried to fit it as I only got as far as reading the instructions and realised my old crankset won’t fit. It specifies a shimano hollow tech 2 crankset, is this correct? Am I that limited?

Feel free to tell me to drop the bike off at the shop.

johnj2000
    Free Member

*even bigger sigh* you chaps have give up on me haven’t you 😳

Have tried googling but I think it’s a trip to the LBS. anyone have an idea what to expect to build up a frame apart from forks?

njee20
    Free Member

You don’t appear to actually have told us what crankset you have?

On the brakes yes it is possible, if they’re post mounts on the frame you may need an adapter.

johnj2000
    Free Member

It’s an old truvative from a 2007 GT. struggling to get the damn thing off the old bike anyway so happy to buy a 2nd hand shimano but its the specific nature of hollowtech 2 I am querying.

Found something called IS mounts for sale on CRC, wondering if this is what I need. Frustrating that I just plugged them into the old GT frame without a thought and they worked, guess I was naive to think it would always be so easy

ratherbeintobago

It’s an old truvative from a 2007 GT. struggling to get the damn thing off the old bike anyway so happy to buy a 2nd hand shimano but its the specific nature of hollowtech 2 I am querying.

Assuming it’s an external BB crankset, I’m sorry to say the one you’ve got won’t work. Shimano/FSA/Race Face use a 24mm crank axle whereas Truvativ/SRAM use a stepped crank axle with a smaller diameter on the non-drive side (22mm). You might be able to get an adaptor – Hope do one for their BBs but I don’t know if KCNC do.

If you can post some pics it will make it much easier, but as Njee20 has said, it’s likely you need the post mount adaptors for your brakes.

Andy

johnj2000
    Free Member

Will get some pics up tomorrow night of the frame and fork mounts plus the caliper, cheers for the responses.

johnj2000
    Free Member

Brake issue pics

Ok so we have some pics of the fork and frame mounts plus the calliper I am trying to fit.

lucien

The black bracket on the brakes, unbolts, and different sized ones can be purchased to suit the size of rotor you are running on the rear wheel. On my Inbred Ive stopped the bracket around to make it fit. Not sure what issues you think you have with the brakes, as with pics supplied, it all seems solvable.

Jackass123456789
    Free Member

Yeah what lucine said. Forks are post mount so you need a post to post mount in your disc size (180mm?)
    On the rear, you need an IS to post mount adaptor however you have one already on the brakes.
    Why won’t the disc brake bolt onto the silver brake mount on the frame??

johnj2000
    Free Member

Cheers both. It does bolt on up to a point but then the caliper interferes with the disk, it’s all just to crammed in. Are the IS mounts just one type or are they specific to style of caliper or frame? I am going to have lots of mused parts to sell at the end of this due to poor knowledge when purchasing.

Good news is that I have got myself a 2nd hand hollowtech crank set 🙂

davewilson634
    Free Member

Separate the caliper from adapter before trying to bolt on ….put adapter on silver frame mount then caliper onto adapter pump lever few time hold and tighten up bolts.

khani
    Free Member

If its a 160 front disc you don’t need an adapter, unbolt the one off the front brake and bolt the caliper directly to the fork,
    If its a 180 front disc you need This..
    If its a rear 160 disc you need a rear IS to PM 160 adapter, Like this..
    If its a rear 180 disc you need This..
    The two bolts that hold the caliper to the adapter should be left loose when fitting to allow a bit of side to side adjustment to centre the caliper over the disc, when its centred and spinning freely then you tighten em up.

johnj2000
    Free Member

Awesome, thanks chaps. If this ever gets built to working I will pop up a pic to show you your hard work.

Cheers

ratherbeintobago

[/quote]Are the IS mounts just one type or are they specific to style of caliper or frame?

IS = International Standard, so they should be interchangeable. Doesn’t mean they are, though. More info here.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘More help required’ is closed to new replies.